Status: Ill update when I can

The Virus

Chapter 2

“…What?” I ask, my mind racing with all the possibilities of what has just been said.

“The government in your era does a virus test every few years, your family was tested positive for this rare virus. Unfortunately, your mothers virus was too strong and we had to get rid of her. Yours on the other hand, it’s still in the developing stages so we would like to keep you here to do a few tests. It’s not safe for you to be in your time right now.”

“A virus? What virus is this? I don’t feel sick, and you ‘got rid’ of my mother?” I question the man, hoping that this is all just a crazy dream that I will soon wake up from.

“It’s not that type of virus, you won’t feel the symptoms until it’s its third cycle, you’re only in the first. We are still testing you, if you stay in your era the virus will spread to others, thus causing in the demise of the entire human race. You were sent to this time period, because of our technological advances to rid you of the virus. You are not alone here, thirty others from your time have been found with the virus.”

“Do you even know what the virus is?”

“We are working on that.”

“Can you at least get me out of these restraints? They kind of hurt.” I say to him, and he nods and presses a button which makes the restraints come loose.

“Is that better?” He asks me, and I nod and sit up. Getting a better look of the white room I woke in. I get up and walk around, taking in my surroundings.

It’s not as white as I first speculated, its interior is filed from top to bottom with flowery print wallpaper. A single desk in the corner of the room, papers strewn upon it.

“What’s that?” I ask, pointing to a screen on the table. I walk up to it, and the screen turns on.

“It’s a computer, a laptop to be precise.”

I feel my stomach gurgle, I can’t even remember when the last time I ate was.

“Come this way, I will lead you to your room; and dinner will make its way to you.”

I follow the man down a narrow hallway, we pass by many rooms of the same structure. I peer inside them, and they are all empty.

We finally reach an open space, a women types away behind a desk at a “computer”.

He stops at the desk and smiles at the woman, “Miss Annabelle Katherine is ready for her room.”

The woman reaches behind her and pulls out a set of keys and hands it to the man.

“This way.” He says and I proceed to follow him down another hallway, this one has bedrooms in the rooms that we pass.

We reach door number “945” and he unlocks it. I gasp in awe upon entering, as it looks exactly like my bedroom.

“We do this so you feel more at home.” The man says and I turn around and for the first time smile at him. “You can call me, Peter Lucas; I am the one you come to if you have any problems. Get settled in and I will come and get you when dinner is ready.”

“Thank you.” I say, sitting down on the bed which is just as comfortable as the one I have at home.

I walk towards the closet, expecting to see the same clothes I have in my own wardrobe but I find clothes of a different style. I look through them and find myself nearly disgusted at my findings.

Is this what the girls wear in this era?

I finally settle on a pair of tight fit jeans, a blue tank top and sneakers. It will have to do I suppose. My mother would never approve if she were here.

I sit down on the bed again, and my mind fills up with thoughts of my mother; they killed her. She’s dead. I’m never going to see her again.

A tear descends down my cheeks as I lay my head down on the pillow, it hits something hard as I rest there. I reach under and grab whatever it is that it could be.

My Diary.

I open it enthusiastically, and find all the previous entries that I have written still there in the same ink I used to write them.

September 15th 1945,

I am packing to leave for the war, I don’t understand why I have to. Mother says every first born from every second generation must go. She said my grandmother left when she was 13, I am nearly 16 but I don’t want to go, I am not ready to fight. People die in the war. I have also been feeling rather strange lately, I can’t describe it but I just feel off. My mother says it’s just nerves but it’s something else that I can’t place. I am leaving tomorrow, sometime in the afternoon. I still haven’t said farewell to Jeremy yet, I just can’t bring myself to. Mother still doesn’t know about us yet. I promised him I would tell her, but she will just get upset with me. She told me I am not allowed to even think about boys until I’m 18. Well, that’s bulshit because her and my father got married when she was 15, even though they aren’t together anymore she was still young and just as foolish as I. And I love Jeremy, I’ve known him my entire life and we are still young but I love him.

I read my latest entry, tears forming in my eyes as I think about Jeremy. I play with the necklace he gave me, it hangs around my neck. He worked for hours in his fathers garage just to get enough money to pay for it. I was supposed to see him, the morning of my departure but it just never happened. My mother was breathing down my neck every moment of me getting ready to leave, I didn’t even get to say goodbye. I get up slowly off the bed and walk towards the window, something draws me closer to it. I peak through the curtains and gasp in surprise at the world that greets me from down below.