Forest Fairy

The Bite

Haley tucked her hair behind her ear before shoving her hand back into her hoodie, feeling the gust of cold wind hit her more. Isaac glanced at the shivering girl next to him, wishing he could help her, but he knew not to touch her with his father present. Both teens glanced at the awaiting Sheriff, who asked the teens what they saw.

"It happened after I got here," Haley shrugged, lying through her teeth. "I didn't see much."

"Why were you out here so early?" The Sheriff questioned the young girl with an eyebrow raised, glancing at her attire of pajama pants, boots, and a hoodie.

"I couldn't sleep, so I decided to take a walk."

"And you found yourself here?" The Sheriff hoped this was not something that occurred often with this girl, because he already has one young girl to worry about at the moment.

"I saw Isaac kind of freaked out as I walked by," she glanced at the boy next to her. "I wanted to make sure he was okay."

Isaac knew why she looked at him, silently telling him to stick with the story. The Sheriff threw the young boy a look, trying to gage if the two teens were lying or not. Isaac quietly nodded his head, letting the Sheriff know that it was true. This is also when the Sheriff thought it would be a good idea to ask the teen boy about his black eye.

"How'd you get the black eye, Isaac?" he questioned, making the girl tense next to him.

Haley knew how he got his black eye based on the information she learned last night. She tuned out his answer because she picked up on the boys speeding heart. She wanted to reach and touch him, just to show him that everything was okay, but she did not dare with his father standing there next to him. Picking up on bike gears changing, she turned her head to notice that a bike was not in sight, making her glance out onto the street confused. Well that was until she saw Scott McCall coming down the intersected street on his bike and she watched him gaze at her confused as he took in the scene.

"Are we done here yet?" Mr. Lahey's voiced sounded annoyed. "Isaac has school to get to."

"Listen, I have a naked girl running out here in the woods and I need to know everything," Sheriff sighed, knowing something was off here about this. "And with tonight being the coldest night, I'm trying to find her before she dies of hypothermia."

Mr. Lahey chucked before responding, "Trust me, if Isaac saw a naked girl outside a computer screen, he would remember it."

Haley noticed Isaac tense next to his father, feeling very uncomfortable by what he said. It was then that both teens noticed Derek standing off in the distance, watching the scene unfold. Seeing both teens gazes behind him in the forest, the Sheriff turned around to see nothing there. He turned back to the teens with his eyebrow yet again raised.

"What is it?" He inquired.

"Nothing," Isaac quickly spoke, before realizing what he said, and covered quickly. "I just remembered I have morning practice and Haley has a test first period to get to."

"Yeah," Haley nodded agreeing with the boy. "Which, could I get going now? I do still have to get ready for school before I'm too late."

"Okay," Sheriff sighed, noticing a deputy nearby. "I will have one of my deputy's drop you off."

She smiled at the Sheriff, grateful for the ride home because it would have taken her twenty minutes to walk home from here, but she knew her mother would be worried to death when she knew she wasn't home this morning. That is if she did not take another night shift at the hospital. One last glance at Isaac, who nodded his head, she made her way to the police car. Once she arrived at her home, she noticed her mother's car not there, thanking the God’s somewhere for that. She wouldn’t have to answer any questions. She thanked the deputy as she made her way to the door and inside. The house was a little too quiet for her, but when she made her way into the main hallway, she picked up on something else. Someone was in her kitchen, she could sense it, but that someone breathed so silently, she would never had heard them if it were not for their heartbeat. How she could hear their heartbeat was beyond her. Slowing turning the corner, she came face to face with a familiar black leather wearing werewolf.

"I told you a few hours ago, I don't want the bite Derek," Haley breathed a sigh of relief seeing the man before her, as she ran a hand through her hair. She was trying to calm her nerves.

Derek did not respond to her, but he stepped closer to her as he changed his eyes. He not only took in her scent, but the yellow aura he noticed around her before. He starred at the questioning girl a moment longer before blinking his eyes to turn off his infrared vision.

"I don't think you're human," the older man stated, making the girl quirk an eyebrow.

Haley watched Hale, before she busted out laughing. Her not human had to be some joke. Of course, she was human, what else would she be? She continued laughing, until she slowly stopped based on his facial features. Sure, with Derek Hale you could never tell if he was joking or being serious because his expressions always stayed the same. From what she learned watching him a few hours before. Somehow, she could pick up on that he was actually being serious, more serious than anyone had ever seen him before.

"Then what am I?" Her eyebrow rose once again.

"I'm not sure," he sighed, crossing his arms. "But you smell human with a hint of something else and when I look at you with my infrared you have a yellow aura around you, I have not seen before."

"Is there a way to find out?" She sighed, still finding this hard to believe.

"Maybe," he shrugged, making the girl huff in annoyance. "Is there anything else you can do that I don't know about."

"Why should I trust you?" She glanced at him, getting a feeling that she could trust him but wanted to make sure.

"Because I may be the only one that can help you." Derek knew trust was something people had issues with because he was one of them, but that still didn't mean he did not feel frustrated that people had a hard time trusting him. Scott McCall being one of them.

Sighing, Haley looked at Derek before responding, "I noticed I could hear your heartbeat but not only that, but I could hear Isaac's too. Along with Scott McCall's bike gears changing while he was miles away this morning."

"Interesting," he mumbled.

"But that's only half," she ran her hand through her hair for the hundredth time this morning before she continued. "When Isaac's heartbeat rose last night, I could not only hear it, but I felt it too but not just Isaac's."

"Who’s else?" Derek's eyebrow creased, getting more interested and confused on trying to figure out what the female before him was.

"Yours," she whispered, feeling, and hearing his heart give an uptake. "And I felt like I was drawn there last night to protect Isaac for a reason unknown the me."

Derek stood quiet taking in this new information and wondered if she could be trusted. Based on that she wanted to protect Isaac made her sound like some kind of protector of sorts. Taking in her attire again, he sighed that she should probably get to school soon. Deciding against his better judgment, he did something he never did.

"Go get ready for school, I'll be back in ten to take you," he sighed, nodding his head towards upstairs, before making his way to the front door.

True to his word, Derek dropped Haley off at school and it had been a very awkward ride to say the less. Both parties were quiet and trying to digest everything that was talked about in Haley's kitchen this morning. Haley’s day went by quickly once she got to school and she soon found herself at her locker before making her way to her fourth period French class. Sitting in her normal seat, she noticed Isaac already sitting in his behind her. Turning around, she took in his features, making Isaac quirk an eyebrow towards her, but he smiled at her once he saw her shine through.

"I'm happy for you," she voiced as she took notice in his already healed black eye. Knowing both of their lives were about to change.

Isaac chuckled at the girl’s reaction but felt relief she didn't hate him for receiving the bite, "Thanks."

"I have a feeling we will be seeing a lot of each other Isaac Lahey," she grinned before turning back around in her seat once Ms. Morrell called the class to attention.

Isaac smiled at the back of her head. He was happy, truly happy with the decision he made. Nothing could change his mind and he was happy Haley agreed with his decision, making him feel a little relief that someone knew what went on at home now. Someone he could talk to about it. At least about the minor details of what his father does, but certainly not the major thing that he has to endure on an almost daily basis.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please comment and subsribe! :)