Forest Fairy

Death

Isaac found himself outside the two-story house drenched from the pouring rain. He did not have a second thought of where to go after what he just witnessed. Trying to compose himself as best as he could, he brought his fist up to knock on the front door. However, before his fist connected with the door, it vanished as a gust of chilly air blasted his damp body, making him shiver. The short brunette stared at him, pondering why he was standing at her door. She could hear his heartbeat when he walked up a minute ago. Haley might have heard it sooner if she wasn’t listening to music with her earbuds in. He took in her questioning stare along with her yoga pants and long sleeve shirt.

“Isaac?” Her voice brought him out of his trance. Haley could tell something had happened. She felt it; that need to go find him again like the other night, but she fought it this time. A time she wishes she hadn’t. “What happened?”

Isaac ran his hand through his curls, shivering more than ever. Haley took notice of this and gestured him inside. Getting out of the rain, he felt as if he could not go any further than the doorway as he watched her walk away. As quickly as she left, she came back with a large towel in her hands. She handed him the towel before throwing the question out again.

“What happened, Isaac?” Haley watched as he soaked her rug in the entryway.

He sighed, taking in the warmth of the large towel, “My dad was asking about my grades at dinner tonight. He found out I had a D in chemistry and started his usual tossing of dishes.”

Haley placed a hand on his bicep and began to rub his arm up and down. Not only to warm him up, but to tell him to continue when he paused and to give him some sort of comfort. Telling anyone this had to be hard on him and she could feel the anxiety and grief rolling off of him. She grew slightly confused by this because she did not feel this until she placed her hand on him. Isaac gave her a small smile.

“He threw a glass at the wall above my head and a piece got stuck right underneath my eye. I took it out and it healed rather quickly in front of him. So, he saw, and I ran for it because I didn’t know what else to do,” he squeezed the towel a little tighter.

“So, he saw?” Haley probed him to continue after another long pause.

Gripping the towel tighter, he shuddered at the image in his head, “That’s not the worse part.”

“It’s not?”

He shook his head, “He chased after me in the car while I was on my bike. He finally caught up to me and before I knew what happened something attacked him.”

“You?” She said as gently as she could without sounding like she was accusing him of doing it himself.

“No,” he sighed. “But whatever it was, killed him.”

Haley gasped, not knowing what to exactly say at this moment. She had no idea how to help him in this situation. After everything, his father did to him, Haley had no idea how he truly felt about having him die tonight. She did know one thing though. If the cops found out what went on at the Lahey household after hours, they would surely turn to Isaac and pin him as the killer. She could only think of one person who could possibly help him in this situation.

“Have you talked to Derek?” She questioned, already knowing the answer.

“No,” Isaac shook his head. “I came right here. It happened like an hour ago.”

Nodding her head, she disappeared into the house once again. Isaac stood there unsure of what to do. She came bounding down the stairs in a pair of sneakers, with a bag, and a set of keys. Before he could question what she was doing, he was dragged out of the front door into the cold rain. Haley locked her front door and dragged Isaac to her blue Nissan. Unlocking the car, she opened her driver side door and looked at Isaac who stood there confused.

“Well get in,” she chuckled, getting into the car to get out the now light drizzle.

Isaac sighed before entering the car, feeling a little cramp as the seat was pulled forward too much for his tall frame. He adjusted the seat to fit more comfortably and took a guess they were heading to the old subway station. The soft music from the radio filled in the awkward silence between the two teens. Haley drove to where she knew Derek would be. After he made that stop at her house, she kept in contact with him because he promised to help find out what she was.

“Thank you,” Isaac was the first to break the silence, making Haley look at him confused.

“What for?” She glanced at him before returning her gaze to the road before her.

“Taking me to Derek,” he sighed, thinking he should have just gone to Derek first. Though he couldn’t deny he liked the brunette's company; it comforts him.

“No problem,” she gave him a smile.

Pulling up a few streets away, she got out of the car and heard police sirens. She looked around trying to pinpoint where they were coming from. Isaac watched her glance around, not knowing what she was hearing. He concentrated on his hearing, still not quite sure how to do so. All he heard was the rain. Haley listened carefully now hearing a voice.

“What do we have here?” She heard who she thought was Sherriff Stilinski speaking.

“I’m not too sure, sir,” she heard a voice she did not recognize but she knew it was female. “Looks to be a possible homicide.”

Eyes widening, Haley realize she could hear wherever Isaac's dad was found. She glanced at the boy in question and took in his worry expression.

“Isaac,” she nibbled on her bottom lip, signaling to him she was nervous. “Where did it take place?”

Isaac’s eyebrows shot up with surprised by the question, as he thought about it before responding, “A couple blocks from here, why?”

“We have to tell Derek,” her eyes widening at what she could hear the police were saying. “Like now.”

Haley quickly grabbed his hand and took off in a run with him, which he took his hand out of her hold and quickly passed her. Isaac made it down the stairs the subway station and Haley was a several strides behind him. She could hear him shout out for Derek as she climbed down the stairs. Panting, she came to a halt next to a whizzing Isaac, as Derek popped out of the shadows with a curious expression facing his beta.

“My dad,” Isaac breathed. “Something happened.”

Derek curious expression changed to worry, “What'd you do?”

“That’s the thing,” Haley gasped, still regaining her normal breathing pattern slowly.

“I didn’t do it,” he finished her sentence.

“What do you mean it wasn’t you?” Derek glared at Haley, thinking the worse.

Catching his glare, Isaac glanced at the girl next to him and shook his head at his alpha wondering why he thought she did this, “It wasn’t her either, Derek.”

Isaac retold his story to Derek, who stood there listening intently, trying to gage if his beta was telling the truth. He listened to Isaac’s heartbeat, which had no bleeps or up takes during his whole explanation of the events that took place hours before. He watched Haley as well, wondering how she fit into this equation, only to find out Isaac went to her first, and she was the one who brought him here. Taking in Haley’s worried expression, he wanted to question her more but knew he had to question his beta first.

“It ripped the door right off the car, but you didn’t see it?” Derek asked after Isaac finished his story.

“No,” he shook his head. “It left before I got up to the car and then I left before the cops were called.”

“The Sheriff is going to the graveyard after he gets done with the scene to look for Isaac,” Haley drew both boys’ attention with her calm statement. They both looked at her with worry and confusion.

“How do you know that?” Derek asked, crossing his arms over his body.

“Uh,” she nibbled on her lip again worried about their reactions. “I heard them talking at the crime scene.”

Both boys' eyes widen. They stared at the girl in front of them with amazement. Derek knew that this was why she was worried when she first came in. She discovered something new about her hearing ability. She could hear better than even Derek, the alpha. Isaac glanced at her now understanding why she had stopped outside so suddenly. Also, where the sudden random question on where it had happened came from. He knew if he could not hear it then she was something supernatural as well, but what?

“What are you?” Isaac questioned.

“That's what we are trying to figure out,” Derek sighed.

Isaac’s head whipped from Haley's figure over to his alpha's, “You knew she was something?”

“I told him not to tell you about me yet,” she spoke before Derek could answer the question.

“Why?” He looked as if she had just destroyed his sandcastle without warning. Shocked that she would keep this from him.

“I wanted to find out what I was before telling you. Hell, I wanted to know before telling myself I wasn’t human like I always thought I was."

“Isaac,” Derek brought his beta's attention over to him. “You’ll be staying here tonight and then you will go to school like normal tomorrow as if you know nothing about it.”