Forest Fairy

Rough Beta

Haley sat on the bleachers as she watched the lacrosse team walk out onto the field. She promised to keep an eye on Isaac this morning at practice because Derek told her that Scott McCall might notice the new beta. To learn that Scott was a werewolf as well threw both Isaac and Haley off, but then they thought about his sudden improvement with lacrosse recently and realized it had to be the only reason to explain it. Haley took notice in the spastic, younger Stilinski as he ran up to Coach Finstock.

"Hey coach," she heard Stiles greet the tired older man.

"What do you want, Stilinski?" Coach groaned with annoyance.

"Scott wants to have a go at goalie again," she glanced at the boy speaking to see he had a devious smirk.

"I better not regret this," Coach sneered shoving the goalie stick in his chest.

Watching as the boy grunted from the rough impact of the goalie equipment being shoved into his chest, she kept her eyes on him as he carried the gear over to Scott who stood gazing at the field. Haley glanced back at the lanky boy with the number 14 on his jersey. She smiled as she took notice in Isaac gazing at her with a smile as well. He felt calm with her here with him, especially since he knew Scott was onto another werewolf on the team. He heard him talking to Stiles about it in the locker room, so he kept his distance from him.

Haley grimaced as she watched Scott knock down player after player, as she noticed he seemed to be sniffing them. She defiantly knew that he was trying to figure out who the new beta was. She couldn't help but giggle at the scene before her though because the boy looked ridiculous. Her giggles soon stopped when Jackson suddenly stepped out of line and Isaac's turn came up next. She picked up on his increased heart rate and could hear his breathing from over here. She took in Stiles' widen eyes to see that he too took notice of the heavy breathing as well. She watched as if it were in slow motion. Both boys charged at one another before colliding with each other in midair and flipping over to land perfectly in a crouch. Footsteps. Jerking her head over she saw who they belonged to. The Sheriff and a few deputies approaching the lacrosse field.

"Please don't tell them." She heard Isaac whispered, staring at Scott.

"Lahey," Coach's voice called, gaining the boys attention and everyone's else.

"Haley," she heard Derek's voice softly. She glanced at Scott making sure he did not hear, but she noticed his focus on Isaac and the Sheriff. "Don't worry, he can't hear or see me. But they are here about Isaac's dad. I need you to listen in when they bring him into the school to see what is happening. I can't get too close to the school without them noticing me. I would rather not be accused of murder again."

Nodding her head to confirm she understood, even though she had no clue if he could see her right now. She heard Scott and Stiles discussing how a holding cell would not be strong enough to hold a werewolf on the night of a full moon. Isaac got escorted off the field by the Sheriff, making Haley bit on her fingernails with anxiety. Gathering her backpack and notebook, she made her way inside too worried to try and listen right now. She quickly made it to her first period and took a seat as she tried to listen to what was happening on the other side of the school in the principal's office. Not hearing much about anything other than Isaac lie what happened last night and where he was.

Not paying attention to anything that happened in first period, she heard the bell to signal that the period was over. She quickly gathered her belongs and made her way into her second period. Chemistry. Sure, she had a great grade, but she hated Mr. Harris, just as everyone else does. She concentrated on her hearing again. She quickly became aware that they were about to question Jackson Whittemore. The boy who lived across the street from the Lahey’s. Eyes widening, she quickly and stealthily sent a text to Derek warning him. He quickly sent one back saying for her to meet him outside. Haley then took notice in the two troublemakers tossing a ball at the back of Harris' head.

"Alright!" He whipped around and glared at the class, already knowing who threw it. "Who threw that?"

Everyone in the classroom took notice in Scott and Stiles pointing at each other, which resulted in them both being sent to the principal's office. Rolling her eyes at the boys’ foolishness, she raised her hand gaining Mr. Harris' attention.

"Yes, Ms. Rosenburg?" He sounded more annoyed than before.

"May I use the bathroom?" She smiled, knowing he never told her no.

"No," he sighed, making her smile falter.

"But, sir," she tried to start again.

"I said no," he interrupted her before she could give her excuse.

"But if I don't change a certain something every four hours it will cause me -."

He held up his hand halting her voice, "Just go, Ms. Rosenburg."

Haley nodded with a smile and grabbed her bag before bolting out of the classroom. She quickly dashed to the front of the school to see the familiar black Camaro. Derek already had the window down and gestured her inside.

"Wait," Derek's voice halted her movement before she got in the front seat of the car. "You have to get into the back, someone else will be coming with us."

Groaning, she knew exactly who he was talking about because she could hear his heartbeat making quick movements through the hallways of the school. She pushed the seat forward and got into the back. Starting the car again, they both silently watched Isaac being taken away in the back of the Sheriff's car. Pressing down on the accelerator, gaining some speed in the parking lot, Derek came to a stop besides another side door of the school. Which so happened to be the same door Scott came running out of.

"Get in," Derek's gruff voice shouted out to the young werewolf.

"Are you serious? You did this!" Scott's voice made Haley roll her eyes. Scott leaned against the car, gripping the door. "That's your fault."

Derek rolled his eyes and sighed, "I know that. Now get in the car and help me."

Scott growled, "No, I've got a better idea. I'm gonna get a lawyer. Because a lawyer might actually have a chance at getting him out before the moon goes up."

"Not when the cops do a real search of the house."

Haley nibbled on her lip. Not wanting to know about what that house held because she knew what happened last night and if Isaac never went home then they will find the destroyed kitchen. This worried her. She also noticed how Scott had yet to acknowledge her existence.
"What do you mean?" Scott questioned, confused.

"Whatever Jackson told the cops, what's in the house is worse," Derek sighed.

"A lot worse."

Scott jumped at the female voice. He glanced in the back of the car as Haley smiled and gave him a slight wave. Derek and she could both hear the increase thumping of Scott's heart. Shaking his head, he quickly got into the front seat, and Derek stepped on the gas pedal sending Haley further into her seat. Not knowing when to bring it up, Scott glanced towards the back before turning to Derek.

"What is she doing here?"

"I'm certainly not here for you," she rolled her eyes. "If that's what you were wondering."

"She's here to help us in breaking Isaac out of jail," Derek's growled, not wanting to explain everything to him at this moment, nor liking the way Scott glared at the girl in the backseat.

"Did you bite her too?" Scott glanced back at Haley.

"Nope," she popped her 'p' in response, gaining a slight smirk from Derek. He started to warm up to the young female, which made him like her more and more.

Scott looked at the girl's grin and groan. He was not going to get any further information out of these two on this matter, which infuriated him more than not knowing about Derek biting Isaac. In order to gain his trust, Derek had to start letting him in on certain matters. Then again, he refused to join the newer alpha's pack, so he guessed he could not blame the two not sharing pack details. Scott kind of wondered if she had a thing with the alpha sitting next to him. Hell, maybe she had a thing with Isaac, and she was purely there for him. So many thoughts flooded his mind but vanished when they pulled up to the Lahey household.

Haley peered out the car window up at the house. Her anxiety skyrocketed when they pulled up, along with an overwhelming fear. She nibbled on her bottom lip and watched the two boys leave the car as she sat staring at the house. She wanted to follow the boys, but her limbs wouldn't provide her movement at the moment. Almost as if she were frozen in fear.

"Haley?" Scott's voice snapped her back to reality. Scott watched her stay rooted in her seat. He heard her heartbeat jump into overdrive as soon as they pulled up. "Are you coming?"

"Y-yeah," she stuttered, nodding her head.

Finding the movement back in limbs, she climbed out of the car and noticed Derek's stare, which was directed towards her. She gave him a quick nod, showing him that she was good to go now. Even though she knew she truly wasn't ready to see what the inside of this house held. The evil radiated off it, pricing her skin as if it were set on fire. Once again, she nibbled on her lip as Derek returned her nod and the three began their trek up the walkway. Derek unlocked the door rather quickly and they made their way inside. Something screamed in Haley's body to turn around, but she did no such thing.

"So, if Isaac didn't kill his father, who did?" Scott broke the silence between them, wanting his question answered this time.

"We don't know yet," Derek murmured, placing a hand on the werewolf's shoulder.

Scoot looked at Haley, who was gripping at the edge of her hoodie. She appeared to have paled ten times more than she was out in the car when they first got out. He wanted to question her if she was okay, but he wanted to know something else first.

"Then how do you know he's telling the truth?"

Derek chuckled, thinking back to what he saw in the lacrosse field, "Because I trust my scenes. It's a combination of them. Not just your sense of smell."

The young werewolf stiffened under the alpha's touch and peered up at him, "You saw that?"

"Yeah," Derek laughed.

"Did it look that bad?"

"Yeah," Haley's sudden calm voice caused both boys to look towards her. She grimaced a small smile. She wondered who could ever smile in this house. "You looked ridiculous."

Derek took noticed in her paled skin and reached for her as Scoot made his way into the kitchen. He inspected her as she stared at him with glazed eyes. She felt no hope. No love. Only fear and evil within these four walls. The sooner she got out of there the better.

"You good?" Derek pondered, still glancing at the young girl's face.

"My senses are in overdrive here," she breathed. "Let's get this over with as soon as possible, yeah?"

He nodded his head, making her feel a tiny bit of relief flood through her. She followed Derek, who followed Scott down to the basement. If she thought her senses were in overdrive, it now felt as if her body will shut down with the raw emotions coming from downstairs. She could not comprehend a word the two boys were speaking, but as soon as Scott neared the freezer underneath the window, her breath stilled, and she felt the tears flow down her cheeks. Nearly falling, she willed herself to stand near Derek and gripped on the arm of his leather jacket. Scott opened the freezer, showing them the bloody nail marks that ran along the top of the door.

"Do you understand now?" Derek asked. Not saying a word, Scott nodded his head. Derek turned towards Haley, taking in her blue face, and noticing she was not breathing. "Scott!"

Hearing his name being called out in panic, his body jerked in the direction of the two. Noticing Derek picking up the blue faced girl, his mind went into action mode. Both boys bounded out of the basement and into the kitchen. Where they noticed she had regained her breathing somewhat, but not enough. Derek rushed out into the fresh air, but still nothing.

"Derek, put her in the car!" Scott exclaimed, trying to think of anything to help her. "We have to get her to the hospital!"

Rushing to the car, he swung open the door and set her inside. Backing away they stared at her, waiting to see if anything would happen. Haley gasped for air, making the boys sigh with relief. Derek crouched down beside the car, feeling her body warm up slightly from her getting air in her lungs and noticed her skin darken. She could not explain what happened to her, but she knew she felt as if she was drowning from all the different emotions within the Lahey house. Literally drowning. Tearful brown eyes meet worried green ones.

"Can we just get out of here?" Haley rasped out, wanting to get as far away from this house as soon as possible.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Haley soon found herself sitting on the backseat of Stiles Stilinski's infamous, powder blue jeep. She started to feel as if she could breath as soon as they got away from the Lahey household. Derek glanced back at her, noticing her paled skin turned back to its darker shade fully and has stayed there. He was worried about her and still hated the fact he had no idea what she was yet. Stiles kept going between his attention to the Sheriff station and the reflection of the girl who sat in his backseat. His thoughts were running a mile a second, not knowing how she got mixed up with Derek, especially since Scott told him that Derek didn't bite her.

"Will you two stop looking at me?" She mumbled, staring out of the windows growing annoyed at the prying eyes.

"Why is she here again?" Stiles questioned, trying to keep his eyes forward and not in the mirror.

"I'm here to keep Isaac from killing your sorry ass in this stupid plan," Haley grinned at the human sitting in front of her. She turned her eyes towards Derek. "Seriously. Stop staring at me like I'm about to die. I'm fine."

"Sure, if you call blue lips and not breathing fine," Stiles stated, as his arms flailed a bit repeating what Scott told him. "Because I'm pretty sure that's called near death to me."

"You're not helping," Derek growled, glaring at the boy next to him.

"Yeah, sure, whatever," Stiles rolled his eyes.

"So where are the keys again?" Haley asked, changing the conversation to something more important than herself.

"Okay," Stiles sighed. "The keys to every cell are in a password protected lockbox in my father's office. The problem would be getting past the front desk."

Haley and Derek's eyes landed on the deputy at the front desk. Taking in that the deputy was a female, Derek knew he could distract her while the other two got past.

"I'll distract her." Derek began to open the door before stopping.

Stiles let out a laugh, causing the jeep's other two occupants to turn towards him as he placed his hand on Derek's shoulder, "Whoa, whoa, whoa- you? You're not going in there." Noticing the alpha's glare, he pulled his hand away. "I'm taking my hand off."

"I was exonerated," Derek sighed, rolling his eyes.

"You're still a person of interest!" Stile exclaimed and threw his hands in the air again.

"An innocent person," Haley's voice chimed into the two boy's bickering. Derek nodded his head at this statement. This statement made Stiles laugh again.

"Him," he chuckled again. "Yeah, right! And what's your plan?"

"To distract her," Derek stated once again, getting annoyed with the Sheriff's boy.

"Uh-huh," he was skeptical about how it was going to happen, since this was Derek Hale. "How? By punching her in the face? Uh?"

"Ha-ha," Derek deadpanned, making Haley actually giggle. "No, by talking to her."

Stiles arched an eyebrow, "Okay, all right. Give me a sample. What are you gonna open with?" Derek and Haley remained quiet and glared at the spastic boy. "Dead silence. That should work beautifully. Any other ideas?"

"I'm thinking about punching you in the face," Derek growled, getting more annoyed by the seconds.

"I kind of want to as well," Haley raised her hand, putting in her two cents on how annoyed she was as well with the boy.

Stiles' eyes widen with slight shock from the small girl's threat, but he did fear Derek’s threat more. Derek finally got out of the car and made his way into the office. The two teens glanced at each other before making their way out of the jeep as well. Opening the door quietly, they caught part of Derek's conversation as they made it passed the front desk unseen.

Haley noticed Derek's rare smile as he flirted with the deputy, "Oh, I was gonna say someone so incredibly beautiful, but yeah, I guess that'd be the same thing."

"And you doubted him," Haley giggled, making Stiles glare at her.

She quickly followed him into the Sheriff's office and stood guard as he went to the lockbox. Hearing him mutter an 'oh no', she turned around to see that the lockbox was empty. Stiles glanced at the girl behind him with slight fear on wondering where the keys were. They backed out the door and she followed Stiles towards what looked like to the cells. Once they made it to the hallway, they noticed a deputy walking towards them.

"Oh, um, I'm just looking, um," Stiles stumbled over his words, before both teens glanced at the man's leg, where an arrow stuck out of it.

"That looks like it hurts," Haley murmured, catching the smell of blood.

The fake deputy noticed the two teens staring at his leg and he grabbed a hold of Stiles, who tried to fight the man off of him as he dragged him further down the hallway. Haley's eyes widen in fear for the boy, before she noticed the fire alarm, which she quickly pulled. The fake deputy stopped at on open doorway and she watched as a huge blur flew out the door and took a hold of the hunter. Noticing it was Isaac, Haley took off towards the room. Once at the door, both teens glanced at each other, before they walked into the room to find Isaac wolfed out and glancing down at the unconscious hunter. Stiles put himself in front of Haley and watched Isaac carefully as they backed away. It did not take long for Stiles to trip over something on the floor and land flat on his butt, leaving Haley standing alone. Isaac looked towards the noise to find the two other heartbeats in the room. Huffing and grunting, he made a move to advance.

"Isaac," Haley mumbled, feeling something within her. "You don't wanna do this."

Before anyone in the room knew what happened a sudden gust of wind came through the room, blasting towards Isaac. The wind did nothing but blow his curls and push his upper body back slightly, as if in a warning. Stiles watched the scene before him. He watched as the random wind generated from around the girl before him and he did not understand it. Though his attention went back to Isaac when he went to advance again, but he noticed Derek walk in. Derek came to stand in front of Haley and roared at his beta, scaring the young werewolf back to his human self. Haley took notice in the cowering form of Isaac and rushed to him.

"Everything's fine, Isaac," she whispered, placing a soft hand on the scared boy's bicep.

"How'd you do that?" Stiles wondered, shocked as he took in Isaac's human form.

Derek smirked at the human, "I'm the alpha."

Derek walked towards his beta and watched the girl comfort him in his time of need. Placing a hand on Haley's shoulder, he nodded towards the door. He knew that any moment now, the Sheriff would be walking through that door. She nodded her head in acknowledgement.

"Let's go Isaac," she spoke gently, and stood up with his bicep in her hand as she tugged at it.

Isaac looked at the girl before him and stood to his feet. He took notice in the arm wrapping around his waist and he looked down at Haley smiling up at him. He gave a small one back and placed his arm around her shoulders as they followed their alpha out of the station, leaving behind a confused Stiles. He looked around the cell block at the torn cell door, the unconscious hunter slumped up against the wall, and a few papers blown onto the floor, as he stood in the middle of the room. Turning to the sound of footsteps, he noticed his father's glare from the doorway. With one more glance around the room, Stiles pointed a finger at the hunter with an arrow still in his leg.

"He did it," he said, making his father roll his eyes.