Forest Fairy

Eating Alone

Haley smirked at her best friend as Erica walked down the stairs of the abandoned subway station. She stood next to the curly haired boy she has grown close to within the last few days. Erica glanced around at the old station as she made her way down the stairs, until her eyes connected to her best friend’s, who stood at the bottom of the stairs. Erica’s eyes widen slightly at the sight of her because she had no idea she would be here.

“So…,” Erica mirrored Haley's smirk. “This is what you meant by helping me?”

“Yep,” she giggled, nodding her head.

Instead of saying anything more, Erica engulfed her best friend in a hug. Haley gasped, feeling the blonde's girl strength. Patting her back, she stood having a hard time breathing. Isaac took notice Haley’s lack of breathing and he glanced at his alpha. He was nervous and did not know quite how to start this conversation with Erica. Fortunately for him, he did not have to say a word.

“Eri,” Haley gasped, trying to wiggle out of the tight grasp. “Can’t. Breathe.”

Upon hearing this, Erica pulled back as quickly as she could, “Sorry.”

“It's okay,” she laughed, patting her shoulder. “You’re still new to this. Isaac did the same thing when he first started out.”

Isaac took notice in how both females now glanced his way, making him feel a little nervous again, but he waved shyly, as saying a hello. Derek watched the teens interact with smirk, but his eyes held amusement. He knew Haley was worried about her friend, but when she texted him last night saying she found out something new about herself, he wanted to stop this reunion quickly.

“What did you two find out?” His gruff voice made all three gazes at him. Two sets of eyes held worry but one held curiosity.

“Yesterday after Erica's episode,” Haley signed noticing the other girl's grim expression, recalling her moment on the rock wall. “Scott pulled me aside as I was telling some idiots I would punch them in the face if I heard them laugh at her again because he noticed something.”

Isaac chuckled trying to picture the small brunette threat people. Derek quirked an eyebrow up, amused by this as well. Erica stood grinning at her best friend, but still wondered how she knew the other two werewolves besides her. Haley nibbled on her lip, because she was not only nervous about telling Derek this, but nervous about telling her best friend. Instead of telling them, she decided to close her eyes and show them. All three eyes stayed on her short form and the three also took notice in her heart rate increasing. Isaac knew what was coming and he was not shocked to see her eyes again.

“They’re,” Erica tried to form words to describe the eyes that now stared back at her. “Green.”

“Not just green,” Derek started, staring, and observing. “They’re forest green.”

“So,” Haley blinked a few times ridding her of her glowing eyes. “Do you know what I am?”

Derek shook his head, feeling not only his disappointment, but hers as well, “I have no idea. This is a little out of my league.”

He studied the girl before him, kind of wishing his uncle were alive because he had no doubt, he would know what she was. He also knew he had to figure out exactly what she was because with the alpha pack soon approaching, he may need all the help he can get. Along with whatever killed Isaac's father.

“So,” Erica broke the awkward silence, totally noticing Isaac's want to comfort her best friend, but didn’t know how to with so many people present. “Correct me if I am wrong here. I was just recently turned into a werewolf, yet we have no idea what my best friend is. Didn’t you bite her too? Shouldn’t she be one of us?”

Haley beat both boys in answering her because she wanted to be the one to answer, “He never bit me. I just recently discovered I was something and Derek thinks I am somehow a protector and my supernatural powers stayed dormant until he started growing his pack and I’m somehow connected to the pack.”

Derek had to applaud her lying skills because some of that may have been true, but pieces of that had been a total lie. Sure, the two had discussed her being some kind of protector, but he remembered telling her she may be connected with Isaac in a way. Not once did her heart give an uptake in speed and it stayed steady. He could only assume she felt embarrassed about being connected to the young curly beta and did not want to tell him quite yet.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Isaac grunted as he punched the bag in front of him, not noticing the two girls walking out of the train car. That was until Haley's voice filled his ears. He glanced behind him as he stopped the bag from moving, only for his eyes to widen at the sight. The two girls wore matching outfits that consisted of a very short leather skirt, a low-cut tank top that left little to his imagination, a leather jacket, and a pair of black heels. Though Haley still stood at Erica's shoulders with the heels on. Derek smirked at the two girls in front of him and listened to the uptake in Isaac's heartbeat.

“Ready?” Derek questioned the two girls.

They two girls looked at each other with matching grins, “Totally.”

Haley noticed Isaac's heartbeat from across the room and she finally took a glance at him with her bottom lip in between her teeth. She took in his sweat covered shirtless torso and his bright blue eyes that were gazing at her. She smiled at him and began to walk backwards after Derek and Erica took their leave.

“You’ll be back later?” Isaac always questioned her this every time she left. Almost as if he did not believe it himself.

Grinning wider, she turned on her heel with a wave of her hand in the air, leaving with a simple 'P' popping, “Nope.”

Haley quickly made her way into the high school following her best friend. Sure, she loved the outfit, but this was not her style and she cannot keep up with Erica's longer strides in the heels. She watched as the blonde made her way into the cafeteria and before she got in there, she could hear the gasps from their classmates. Surprisingly, Haley was not too far behind Erica as they made their way inside. She chuckled as she heard Lydia Martin slam her hands upon a table.

“What. The holy hell. Is that?” Both teens smirked when they heard the strawberry blonde's words.

“It's Erica,” Haley listened to Scott's shocked voice.

“And Haley,” Stiles gasped along.

Haley giggled behind Erica as she bent down towards a boy and watched as she took his apple and bite into it with a smile. Erica turned around with an eyebrow quirked and a smirk, before she linked arms with her best friend and walked out of the cafeteria. Both girls left everyone stunned at what they had just witnessed. Scott McCall and Stiles Stilinski being some of them. After snapping out of their shock, they took off in a run after the two girls. Busting open the double doors, they glanced at each other before watching both girls climb into the familiar black Camaro. Derek Hale looked back at the two boys before giving a rare smile and squealing out of the parking lot.

“And the purpose of doing this again, was?” Haley questioned the alpha werewolf.

“To show Scott that I’m making a pack,” Derek chuckled. “And that sooner or later he will have to join us.”

She quirked an eyebrow, not quite understanding his ways of trying to make Scott join his pack. Sure, she knew he needed more werewolves to make him stronger, but she didn’t know why he wanted the boy in his pack. Sighing, she got comfortable in the back seat of the Camaro, as they made their way back to the abandoned subway station. Haley quickly made her way down the stairs, huffing as she passed the curly haired boy, who stared after her with confusion, but did not question her. He knew better to question her when she got into this type of mood. Erica smirked at Isaac and pulled out her phone and brought up a blank text.

You like my best friend. Erica passed the phone towards him. She knew this was the only safe way to question the boy without prying ears.

Isaac read the words on the screen, making his face become flushed. He quickly erased her text before writing his own. Is it that obvious?

Giggling at the screen, she replied quickly. To me, yes. To her, not so much.

He sighed with relief, but before he could reply to her, she brought the phone back towards her to type out another sentence. You better ask her out before you lose your nerve or your chance. Oh, and if you hurt her, I will personally snap your neck. With my teeth.

Haley walked out of the old subway car and took in Isaac's feared, flushed look and Erica smirking back at him as she pocketed her phone. Noticing her best friend, Erica gave her a wink before strutting off towards where her alpha went to. Haley walked over towards Isaac; who's heart rate increased when seeing the brunette walking towards him.

“What was that about?” She questioned, hearing him gulp.

“Nothing,” he breathed, running his hand through his curls.

She had no chance to question his lie because Derek made his presence known. He had informed them that he would be turning another teen into a werewolf this evening. Erica then informed the two that it would be Vernon Boyd. Haley smiled at the choice, knowing Erica's slight crush on the loner boy. She always had a thing for the socially awkward boys. Haley hung out with the pack for the rest of the night before she made her way back home after Derek brought back Boyd, to introduce him to the rest of the pack.

Groaning at the consistent tapping at her window, she brought her head up to notice curly hair and blue eyes staring at her through the glass. Sneering at the boy, Haley huffed as she got out of her comfortable position on her nice, warm bed. Isaac smiled as she disappeared into her closet to change out of her short pajama shorts and tank top, he had saw her in a moment ago. Haley quickly changed into something more suitable to go outside in. He watched her come back out in dark washed skinny jeans, a hoodie that he noticed happened to be one of his owns, and a pair of boots.

“Is that my hoodie?” Was the first thing out of his mouth as he watched her climb out of her window.

“I took it a few nights ago after you passed out and Derek drove me home,” she shrugged her shoulders as she began to climb down the tree outside her bedroom window.

“But why did you take my hoodie?” He questioned again, watching her walk to the Camaro, and taking noticed that the hoodie was huge on her.

“It's comfy,” Haley shrugged her shoulders once again, getting into the back seat. Before Isaac could ask her another question about why she had his hoodie, she buckled up and began to question why she was picked up. “So, I read my text before I took my nap. We are going to pick Boyd up from work?”

“I overheard Scott and Stiles talking about trying to talk Boyd out of getting the bite, so we are just going to give him some back up,” Erica giggled at something.

“You hurt one of them, didn’t you?” Haley sighed at her grinning best friend.

“I just knocked Stiles out,” she shrugged her shoulders. “He should be fine.”

“We're here,” Derek soon broke the awkward silence between the teens as they pulled up to the ice rink.

Isaac smiled as Haley came out of the back of the car after him before he shut the door after her. He had to admit, even with her swimming in the hoodie, she looked adorable in it. He followed behind her and Erica, who followed Derek into the back of the rink. Isaac couldn't keep his eyes off her, which made Erica turn around and give him a wink and smirk, causing him to blush again. Haley picked up on Scott's voice before they even made it into the parking lot, along with the running Zamboni.

“Boyd,” Scott shouted as he saw the boy on the running Zamboni. “I just wanna talk. Hey, come on Boyd, please.” This time Scott noticed the boy come to a stop on the edge of the ice. “Did Derek tell you everything? And I don’t just mean going out of control on full moons. I mean everything.”

Boyd sighed, “He told me about the hunters.”

“And that’s not enough for you to say no? Whatever you want there's other ways to get it.”

Haley's heart broke at Boyd's confession, “I just wanna not eat lunch alone every day.”

Scott has not noticed the alpha and his pack making their way out onto the ice as he responded with a sigh and guilt ridden voice, “If you’re looking for friends, you can do a lot better than Derek.”

Scott's head whipped around at Derek's voice, “That really hurts, Scott. I mean, if you're going to review me, at least take a consensus. Erica, how's life been for you since we met?”

“Hm,” Erica grinned, letting her claws and fangs grow. “In a word, trans-formative.”

Haley took in Scott's annoyed look at the response, but smiled at Boyd, who smiled at the blonde girl. She now felt for the boy because she knew how it felt to not have friends. She laughed at Erica's response and placed a small hand on the taller girl’s forearm, before noticing the extra weight on her shoulders. Looking up, she grinned at the lanky boy towering over her.

Derek's gruff voice only made her grin more, “Haley?”

Haley blinked, changing her eyes to her forest green, “Fascinating.”

“Isaac?”

“Well,” Isaac chuckled, pulling Haley closer to his body. “I’m a little bummed about being a fugitive, but other than that, I’m great.”

Scott glanced at the three werewolves and Haley, who he knew was something, but he did not know what she was yet. He sized all of them up and his heart gave a beat of fear when his eyes landed on the short brunette who was tucked under Isaac's arm and was pulled close to his body. He had no idea what her powers could do, but all he knew was she could somehow control air, which was something Stiles had told him. Stiles, who, by the way, did not describe his encounter with Haley very well, and that left both boys still confused. He knew one thing though; he could take on the new betas.

“Okay, hold on,” Scott sighed, making Haley's smirk widen. “This isn’t exactly a fair fight.”

Derek smirked, “Then go home, Scott.”

Haley's eyes widen when she took in Scott's bright yellow eyes and growing claws and fangs. Isaac's grip on her tighten, as the three teens watched the tanned boy growl and slammed a fist into the ice, cracking it with his force. He looked up at the betas before him, glaring.

“I meant fair for them.”

This caused Isaac's grip to disappear from Haley's shoulders, as he and Erica roared, blocking the short female with their bodies. They both did not want anything to happen to her, but unknown to them, she had different plans. Glowing forest green eyes met with bright yellow. Scott's heartbeat rose, not knowing what was coming at him. Before Erica or Isaac could advance forward, a huge gust of chilly wind blasted past them, straight towards Scott, knocking him into the rink's wall. His body slide down, as all four teens watched on in awe. Derek had a broad smirk sat upon his face. His practicing with her has been paying off. What neither of them saw was how quickly Haley moved, because when they looked behind them where she once stood, she was no longer there. They glanced forward to see her standing where Scott stood before she knocked him off balance with her wind gust. They all stared confused on how she moved so quickly. Isaac's heartbeat increased when he watched Scott get up from his down position and make his way towards the small girl he has grown attached to. A low growl came deep from within him.

Derek was quick to grab his bicep, stopping his young beta from advancing on the scene. “Let’s wait and see what she can actually do.”

Erica glared at the werewolf that advanced to her best friend, only to have a grin shine through at what she saw. Scott took a running start at Haley, but she made an abrupt move to her left, getting out of Scott's way. He tried a few more times, before stopping to catch his breath. Haley stood before him with smirk. Taunting him, she began to circle him, but her sharp gasped made Isaac growl again and fight against his alpha's hold. Scott had grabbed her shoulders while she let her attention slip as she looked at Boyd and he threw her to the side. She banged her head onto the ice and her limp body slide over to the feet of the growling, curly haired, werewolf. Glancing at her limp body, Isaac let out a roar, charging at Scott. Both Isaac's and Erica's effort to take advantage of Scott was shut down and Scott growled once he saw the two laying semi-unconscious at Derek’s feet.

“Don't you get it?” Scott growled, fighting off the two betas for the last time. “He’s not doing this for you. He's just adding to his own power, okay? It's all about him. He makes you feel like he’s giving you some kind of gift when all he's done is turn you into a bunch of guard dogs!”

Derek chuckled and looked down at his betas, “It's true. It is about power.”

Derek’s claws came through as he roared at the young teen and advanced to him. He was quick to fight off Scott, whose attempts to get the upper hand on the alpha seemed almost laughable. Derek was swift when it came to knocking Scott off his high horse and gave him physical pain by digging his claws in his abdomen. Boyd smirked at his alpha and jumped off the Zamboni.

“Don’t,” Scott gasped through pain as he saw Boyd turn to leave, only to turn towards the injured boy. “You don’t wanna be like them.”

Boyd smiled and lifted up his shirt to show off his bite. “You’re right. I wanna be like you.”

Isaac picked up the small brunette and carried her unconscious body bridal style out of the rink. He was breathing deeply, trying to control himself more because all he wanted to do was go back in there and kill Scott McCall. Derek stopped Isaac with a simple touch to his bicep again. He glared towards his alpha, holding onto Haley slightly tighter.

“We'll have Erica text her mom and she’ll stay with us tonight,” Derek started with a sigh, glancing at the girl in his beta's arms. “We will keep watch over for her. But from what I can tell, she looks like she's healing.”

Isaac looked at the arm Erica gently picked up, showing it to him. The small cuts quickly closed up, but she still did not wake up yet. The pack climbed into the Camaro, with Haley in the back laying across the laps of Erica and Isaac. He ran his fingers through her hair, but soon he took his fingers from her hair when he felt something sticky. Glancing at the blood on his fingers, Erica drew in a gasp. Isaac looked for any form of injury on her scalp but saw none. He shook his head towards Erica, making her give a sigh of relief. Haley has healed, but why hasn’t she woken up yet.