Forest Fairy

Paralyzed

Haley blinked her eyes open and took in the old subway car metal that surrounds her. Her mind flashed to the memories from the night before and how she got knocked out by Scott McCall. She heard some grunting coming from outside the car. Gathering the blanket around her, she slowly made her way out without being noticed. She watched as Isaac did a flip off a table and did more fancy foot work as she took a seat next to a grinning Boyd. He nodded at the girl that sat a few steps below him. Haley had no idea how long she sat there, but she grew bored watching Isaac do the same moves over and over again and failing on getting the upper hand on his alpha.

“You know,” she sighed, resting her hand on her chin with her elbow on her knee, giving the boys a bored expression. Her voice caught everyone’s attention. Even Erica's, who sat on top of the old subway car. “If you do the same moves over and over again, you just become predictable.”

Isaac’s eyes sparkled when she spoke, taking in her healthy form. She looked as if she was not harm in the slightest. Erica smirked at her best friend, knowing she was absolutely right because her and Boyd had been watching the curly haired boy do the same moves over and over for a while now. Haley stared unamused, waiting for someone to do something unpredictable. Isaac then took his spot at the opposite side of the room as Derek. He smirked at his young beta and crossed his arms to see if he would change up his tactic. To everyone's dismay, Isaac did not change anything up in the slightest. Slamming Isaac against the floor once again before he stopped Erica's attack and threw her to the ground too.

“Seriously,” Derek growled. “Does anyone wanna try not being completely predictable?”

Haley watched as her best friend jumped up from the ground, attached her legs to Derek's waist and grabbed a hold of his face, while she planted her lips onto her alpha's. Snickering, she glanced up at Boyd's amused and shocked face. She knew of the Erica had some sorts of feelings towards Derek. He was very handsome and who wouldn’t want to kiss the young alpha werewolf. Quirking up an eyebrow, she held in a laugh when he threw his female beta off of him.

“That's the last time you do that,” Derek growled, glaring at the blonde who now was sprawled out on the floor in front of him.

“Why?” Erica glared right back at him. “Because I’m a beta?”

“No, because I have someone else in mind for you.”

Haley looked up at the alpha, along with her best friend, giving him a questioningly look. Who the fuck does he have in mind? Both of these thoughts went through both girl's minds. Haley glanced back at Boyd, who simply shrugged his shoulders because he too had no idea. Isaac slowly sat up as he winced from the broken bones in his body. Haley could hear his hiss of pain, making her turn towards him with worry.

“Are we done?” Isaac questioned his alpha, before wincing again. “I got about a hundred bones that need a few hours to heal.”

Derek's features soften as he turned towards his beta. He walked over to him. “Come here.” Derek took the young boy’s arm in his hand, before breaking it in his hold. Isaac cried out in pain, making Haley jump up. “A hundred and one. You’re thinking I’m teaching you how to fight? Huh?” Derek stood up as he looked at Isaac's face as it was now being shoved into Haley's lap. “Look at me!” All eyes found his face. “I’m teaching you how to survive!”

Isaac glared at his alpha as he felt Haley's fingers graze over his hair. “If they wanted us dead, why aren’t they coming for us now?”

“What are they waiting for?” Haley chirped in.

“I don’t know,” Derek growled. “But they’re planning something. And you two,” Derek pointed at the two teens as Haley still comfort Isaac. “Especially, know that's not our only problem. Whatever that thing is that killed Isaac's father, I think it killed someone else last night. Until I find out what it is, you all need to learn everything I know. As fast as I can teach you.”

All the teens watched the huffing alpha werewolf take his leave into another section of the subway car far away from them. Isaac growled, feeling his pain intensify, as he tried to sit up. Haley helped him as much as she could. She placed her hand on top of his broken leg that was taking the longest to heal, causing him to look at her confused and become flushed. Breathing in, she willed herself to take his pain, which is something Derek showed her he could do after her training with him a week ago. Isaac breathed sharply as he felt not just his leg mending, but all the rest of him healing and it was happening with lightning speed.

“What did you just do?” He breathed, noticing forest green eyes staring back at his blue ones.

“What do you mean?” She took her hands away from his body.

“Everything healed ten times faster and it's all healed now,” Isaac ran a hand through his mop of hair.

Haley bit her bottom lip, blinking a few times to rid her of her glowing eyes. “Is that a bad thing?”

Isaac grinned at her, “Not in the slightest. How are you feeling by the way?”

“You mean while doing that or from last night?”

“Both,” he chuckled.

“Fine, I don’t feel a thing or even sore for that matter,” she shrugged her shoulders.

Erica tried to hide her laugh at how awkward these two were. Her snort caught all teens eyes. “You two love birds done? We got school to get to.”

Haley and Isaac both became flushed, but he stayed put as she stood up. She looked down to her body to find herself still in Isaac's hoodie and her skinny jeans from last night. Sighing, she made her way into the room she was once in to find her boots. She placed the blanket she still had wrapped around her on the mattress and saw Erica's bag in front of her. Turning towards the wall, she quickly put on one of Erica's tank tops and put on her boots.

“Here,” she smiled at the tall boy in front of her as she handed him his hoodie.

Isaac looked at the hoodie and then her revealing tank top. Shaking his head, he pushed it towards her, “Keep it, it's kind of cold out there.”

“Hals!” Erica's voice rang out the whole room, making Haley jump at how loud it was in her sensitive ears. “Let's go!”

Giving out an annoyed sigh, she waved bye to the lanky boy in front of her and ran up the stairs to find her best friend smirking down at her. Rolling her eyes, she took her car keys out of Erica's hands, giving her a questioningly look.

“You do know I have better hearing than you right?” Erica just smirked wider and shrugged her shoulders. Shaking her head, she began their walk to her car. “And why is my car here?”

“I had to text your mom last night to tell her you were staying at my house. Derek thought it would seem more believable if your car weren’t home, so him and Isaac went over and got it.”

Grinning up at the blonde, Haley giggled, “You were worried about me.”

Bumping her shoulder into the shorter girl's, Erica rolled her eyes, “Of course I was.”

Before Haley knew it, she was sitting in her English class, bored out of her mind. She tapped her pencil on her desk, trying to stay conscious. Her pencil stopped tapping when she caught the voice of the annoying Scott McCall and his best friend, Stiles Stilinski. Erica who sat next to her looked at her confused. Haley simply tapped to her ear, signaling she was listening to something. Erica tried to pick up what she was listening to, but it might have been out of her range because all she heard was the classroom next door.

“I’m so sorry about the other day,” Stilinski gasped out. Haley quirked an eyebrow, confused on what he did the other day. “I’m trying. We'll get through this. Uh, I know, because I love you.” Haley set up straighter in her desk, wondering what the hell she was listening to. “I love you more than. Oh my god. I can’t. You and Allison just have to find a better way to communicate.”

Haley stifled a laugh, now finally understanding that Stilinski is relaying messages. She continued to listen to their conversation as Scott began to talk. “Come on, you’re the only one that we can trust. Is she coming to the game tonight?”

“Yes!” Stiles gasped. “Okay, message complete. Now, tell me about your boss?”

“He thinks that Allison's family keeps some kind of, uh records of all things that they’ve hunted. Like a book.”

“He probably means a bestiary,” Stiles said this as if it was the most ordinary book on the planet.

“What?” Scott questioned, confused.

“A bestiary.”

“I think you mean bestiality,” Scott chuckled.

Haley shook her head, not believing how dense McCall could be at times. She decided to stop eavesdropping at that moment, which was a good thing because her English teacher asked her a question about the reading, they had the night before. Fortunately for her, the bell saved her from making a fool of herself. Turning towards Erica, they both gathered their belongs, and started their way outside the classroom.

“I was listening to McCall and Stilinski,” Haley answered Erica's unasked question as they made their way to her locker. “They think the Argents have some kind of book that is about everything they have encountered throughout the years.”

“So, they have a plan to get it then?” Erica leaned up against the lockers next to Haley’s.

“I don’t think they have gotten that far, but I’ll be listening throughout the day,” she sighed, taking out the rest of her books for the next lessons. “But it may happen tonight at the game.”

“I’ll text Derek to let him know, plus he planned on getting Stiles off on his own tonight to question him about what he saw last night.”

Haley looked at her best friend, “How do you know this?”

“Derek told us about it this morning before we started training.”

“He didn’t tell me because he went on to throw that tantrum,” Haley giggled along with Erica at her choice of words.

~~~~~~~~~~

Isaac tried to get Haley to stay back with him. Not only because he would be bored, but because he did not want her to get hurt again. Which is why Haley found herself sitting next to Boyd and Erica at the lacrosse game that night. Haley winced when another player got hit by a rather large player from the away team. Coach groaned when the team brought back the injured player to the bench.

“Come on!” Coach exclaimed. “Is that thing even a teenager? I wanna see a birth certificate!” He sat next to Stilinski, seething in anger. “Who or what is that genetic experiment gone wrong?”

“Eddie Abramovitz, Coach,” Stiles sighed. “They call him The Abomination.”

“Oh, that’s cute,” Coach chuckled, before putting on a straight face.

Haley was hearing each and every conversation going on around, which became over whelming at times. She was waiting for Derek's word to set their plan into motion. Halfway through the game, she heard Allison and her conversation with her grandfather. She then watched as she handed off the keys from her grandfather's jacket to Stilinski. She listened to his footsteps and listened into his conversation to a crying Lydia. Her concentration on their conversation was cut short when she felt movement next to her.

“Uh-hu,” Haley looked at her best friend as she placed her hand on Boyd's bicep. “Derek won’t like this.”

“Yeah,” Boyd sighed, noticing Haley nodded her head in agreement. “But I will.” He stood with a grin and gave his jacket to Haley.

“Haley,” Derek's gruff voice stood out to her. “It's time.”

She glanced at her best friend before standing up and held out her hand. Erica grinned at the short brunette and took her hand. Both girls walked off the bleachers but went their separate ways. Haley towards the pool and Erica towards the principal’s office. She listened to their conversations as she smiled at Derek in greeting when she made her way into the pool area.

“Book. Book. Book. Nothing, here.” Haley heard Stiles rummaging through papers, only for him to stop quickly. “Oh my!”

“Hello, Stiles.” She could picture the smirk on Erica’s face.

Giggling, Haley looked at Derek's quirked eyebrow, “They are on their way.”

Derek nodded his head, now picking up Stiles protests. He smirked, throwing the basketball in the air as he walked towards the doorway. Haley followed him, with her own face sporting a matching smirk. Erica let go of Stiles' ear and stood near her alpha. Stiles rubbed his sore ear and took in the three supernatural people in front of him.

“Stiles,” Derek greeted.

Feeling three sets of eyes on her, Haley looked up from her fingernails, “Oh, you wanted me to greet him too?” The three looked at her expectantly. “Yeah, not gonna happen.”

Rolling his eyes at the teen girl, Stiles nodded his head at the alpha, “Derek.”

“What did you see at the mechanics garage?” Derek questioned the spastic boy in front of him.

“Uh, several alarming EPA violations that I’m seriously considering reporting,” he rambled. Stile's eyes widen as he saw Derek's smirk turned to a serious expression as he popped the basketball with his claws. “Holy God.”

“Let's try that again.”

Stiles gulped, “Alright! The thing was pretty slick looking. Um, skin was dark. Kind of patterned. Uh, I think I actually saw scales. Is that enough? Okay, because I have somebody I really need to talk to-," Stiles wrung his hands, noticing Derek's quirked brow and the girl's hard expression. “Hrr. Alright, fine eyes. Eyes are, um, yellowish and silted. Um, has lot of teeth. Oh, and it’s got a tail too. Are we good?” Haley's eyes drifted up to the railing, along with the other two when they heard the slightest of movements. Stiles noticed their expressions. “What? Wait, have you seen it? You have this look on your faces like you know exactly what I am talking about.”

“Derek,” Haley gripped his bicep, getting that overwhelming feeling again. Fear. She was feeling everyone's fear.

All four of them watched the lizard like creature peer over the railing, before it let out a loud screech. Derek pushed the short brunette behind him, as Stiles ran behind the three, when the giant lizard jumped from the railing. Haley heard a loud roar that came from Derek who shifted into his wolf form. Erica growled at it, but the lizard was quicker than the blonde and tossed her to the wall with great force, knocking her out. Derek turned around and pushed on the chest of the two teens behind him.

“Run!” He shouted at the two, but the lizard slashed him on the neck with its tail.

“Derek, your neck!” Stiles went and grabbed the alpha to help support him because he knew what was about to happen. He turned around to find forest eyes glancing back at him.

“Go,” Haley gritted her teeth at the spastic boy. “I’ll hold that thing off as long as I can.”

“Haley,” Derek's growl made her snap her attention to the alpha. “Don’t."

Before she could defend herself, she caught Derek as he tried to walk towards her. Stiles was right behind them and held onto Derek's other side before Haley collapsed from the werewolf's weight.

“Hey, come on.” They both carried the alpha to the middle section that divided the two pools. “Where is it? Can you see it?”

“I can smell it,” Derek grunted. “Please hurry. Call Scott!”

As soon as that left his mouth, Stiles started to pull out his phone out of his pocket. He fumbled with his phone and Haley watched as it fell to the ground as they made their way around the outskirts of the pools. Her eyes widen as he went to pick it up, causing Derek's weight to go to one side. Haley tried to grab a hold of Derek's shirt to keep him from falling in and to brace herself for his dead weight, but it did nothing and she fell in along with him.

“Stiles!” Haley and Derek exclaimed at the same time.

Not waiting for the boy, she dived into the pool and went to get Derek before he drowned. Pushing herself she finally got a hold of his arm and started pulling him up but failed until Stiles grabbed his other arm and helped her pull him to the surface. All three of them gasped for air, while the two teens held Derek up, supporting his weight on each side of him.

“Where did it go? Do you see it?” Stiles frantically asked, looking every which way.

“No,” Haley and Derek said as they looked around, not noticing the creature.

“Okay, maybe it took off,” he gasped, kicking his feet to try to hold both Derek and him up more. Then they all heard the screech once again.

“Maybe not,” Derek sighed, trying to see if he could get any feeling in his limbs.

Haley kicked her feet, trying to keep herself up and not be pulled under from Derek's weight. Even with the help from Stiles, she still found it difficult to keep both of them up. They stayed quiet for a while, before Haley spat out some water that threatened to go down her throat. She gasped for more air and kicked her feet harder. She wished she had the strength of a werewolf right about now.

“You two get me out of here before I drown,” Derek gasped as he spat out some water as well.

“Or before,” Haley breathed a gust of air. “I drown from the weight of you.”

“You’re worried about drowning?” Stiles gasped at the two. “Did you notice the thing out there with multiple rows of razor-sharp teeth?”

“Did you notice I’m paralyzed from the neck down in eight feet of water?” Derek growled at the sarcastic boy.

Rolling her eyes at the two males, she leaned her head back to check out if the lizard thing was gone yet. She also noticed the other two doing the same. Stiles gave her a look, and both used their arms that was not holding up Derek to move forward.

“Okay, I don’t see it,” Stiles stated, moving forward more.

Haley paid no attention to the surrounding areas as she tried to swim with the extra weight of Derek, but she did stop at Derek's frantic voice, “Wait, wait, wait, stop, stop!”

“What's it waiting for?” Stiles questioned, as the three of them watched the giant lizard crawl closer to the pool and place its claw into the water only to hiss and pull it away. “Wait, did you see that? I don’t think it can swim.”

“That’s just great,” Haley spat out more water, leaning her head back and kicked her feet a little harder. “We are stuck in here holding Mr. Muscles here, until God knows when!”

What felt like several hours, but was only about a few minutes, the teens continued to struggle to hold up the alpha werewolf. Going under a few times, Haley kicked her feet harder than before to hold herself up. She did not dare to move her hold on Derek, in fear that she would lose her grip and he would plummet to the bottom of the pool. She felt Derek's worried gaze on her, but she ignored him to stay focus on the task at hand.

“Can't you like control the air?” Stiles questioned, adjusting his hold on the werewolf, and kicking his feet harder. “Can’t you like blow that thing out of here and shut the door?”

“That's not how it works,” she growled, glaring at the buzz cut boy, spitting out more water.

“Okay,” Stiles gasped, not wanting to upset the short brunette. “Okay, I don’t think I can do this much longer.”

Derek noticed where the boy's gaze landed, making him glare at the boy, “No, no, no. Don’t even think about it.”

Haley noticed where Stiles’ eyes were looking and she groaned, “I can’t hold him up by myself, Stiles. He’ll drown if you let go.”

“Would you just trust me this once?” Stiles sighed, turning his gaze to the annoyed supernatural creatures.

“No,” both of them answered while glaring at him.

Stiles glared right back, but focused his next sentence towards the werewolf, “I’m the one keeping you alive, okay, have you noticed that?”

“Uh, hello?” Haley quirked an eyebrow and kicked her feet harder to stay afloat.

“Yeah,” Derek disregarded the female next him that was trying her best in helping keep him alive.

“And when the paralysis wears off, who is gonna be able to fight that thing, you or me?”

“Right, so that’s why I’ve been holding you up for the past two hours?” Stilled rolled his eyes at the alpha.

“Seriously?” The young female glared at the two, not believing what she was hearing.

“You don’t trust me, we don’t trust you,” Derek continued, ignoring the girl next to him once again. “You need me to survive, which is why you are not letting me go.”

Stiles glanced back at the phone and back at the two, before giving a sigh and dropping the weight of Derek he was holding.

“Stiles!” They both gasped out before they plummeted under the water.

Haley tried to pull Derek up, but she couldn’t, and she was running low of air. Her lungs screamed at her, but she tried to pull on him once again. Letting out some air, she huffed before kicking herself up to the surface, wishing she didn’t wear Isaac’s hoodie right now. The thing was weighing her down. She struggled to get to the surface, but she did, and she gasped, filling her lungs with some much-needed air.

“Stiles!” She gasped, seeing him already swimming towards her. “A little help here!”

Diving back down after another gulp of air, she trapped a hold of Derek's arm once again and tried to pull him to the surface. After a few more seconds of tugging on his arm and her lungs screaming for air again, she was able to pull Derek up. Looking on the other side of Derek, she took in Stiles form, pulling up on the werewolf as well. All three gasped for air once they resurfaced. Taking in huge gulps of air, Haley held onto the alpha for dear life, while she kicked her legs harder than ever.

“Tell me you got him,” Derek sighed, once he got his lungs filled with air.

Haley and the alpha watched as Stiles' face fell. Groaning, she let her head fall back as she stared at the ceiling. She was going to drown. She just knew it. Her legs will most likely wear out by the time Derek's paralysis wore off. Then she heard a door slam from outside as she lifted her head forward, to expose her ears to her surroundings. Then she heard a voice. Scott McCall’s voice to be exact.

“Stiles, where are you?” Haley took in his running footsteps as well. “I need Gerard's keys. There’s a USB drive on it. That’s the bestiary.”

“I hear Scott,” Haley breathed, making both males turn to her in surprise.

“I can’t stay up any longer,” Stiles spat out water, kicking harder. “I need something to hold on to.”

Haley nodded with agreement and noticed where his gaze landed. She pushed forward with her arm to help Stiles to get them closer to one of the platforms new by. Once they got there, both teens tried to reach out to grab onto one of the bars. Haley got a hold of one, but her eyes opened with fear when she noticed Stiles' hand slip from the bar. Eyes widening, she prepared herself from going under the water with him and Derek once again, but it never came. What came was someone gripping onto her hoodie and her being tossed to the ground near the pool. She gasped for air and shivered in the cool blast of air. Hearing the growl of McCall, she couldn’t be happier to see him at this moment.

Sitting up, she watched as he went after the giant lizard, before being thrown into the mirror. Biting her lip, she watched as Scott got up and flashed a piece of the mirror towards the lizard thing. The lizard stopped for a second, before all of them watched it climb up the wall and flipping out the skylight. She heard Stiles whisper something about the paralysis now wearing off and saw Derek holding himself up on the platform and then glanced towards a wolf outed Scott. Once she did not hear the lizard like creature anymore and knew it would not be back, she scrambled to her feet to go check on Erica, who still laid unconscious by the bleachers.

“Eri?” Haley took a hold of Erica's shoulder and shook her gently. “Hey, come on Erica. Wake up.”

Groaning, Erica's eyes opened to see the brown ones of her best friend, who sighed with relief. Erica took in how wet she was and quirked an eyebrow in question of this. Haley simply shook her head, not wanting to discuss it at the moment. Both girls got up and made their way towards their now standing alpha and noticed that both teen boys have vanished.

“What. The. Fuck. Was that?” Haley questioned Derek, noticing his facial features.

“A kanima,” Derek said, before turning around and waking out.

The girls looked at each other, shrugged their shoulders before they followed their alpha out of the pool area. Haley picked up on Scott’s and Stiles' conversation outside. She tried to focus on it but did not know how to focus on that and still walk in a straight line at the moment. She soon found herself standing outside the school, as they made their way towards the two boys.

“How are we supposed to figure out what that thing is?” Scott huffed, reading the laptop.

“It's called a kanima,” Derek's voice catching their attention as his pack walked up on them.
Stiles glared at the alpha, “You knew this whole time!”

“No,” Derek shook his head. “Only when it was confused by its own reflection.”

“It doesn’t know what it is.” Scott stated, as Derek nodded his head to the boy's conclusion.

“Or who,” he added.

“What else do you know?” Stiles continued to glare at Derek.

“Just stories,” Derek shrugged his shoulders. “Rumors.”

“But it's like us?” Scott questioned.

“Sure, if you sprout a tail and scales now too,” Haley rolled her eyes at the teen wolf.

Derek chuckled slightly, “A shape shifter, yes, but it's, it's not right. It's like a.” He stopped short on how to describe what they had just saw tonight.

“An abomination,” Stiles finished for him, while Derek nodded his head in agreement.

Derek turned around with his pack but stopped when Scott called him, “Derek? We need to work together on this. Maybe even tell the Argents.”

“You trust them?” Derek quirked an eyebrow, not believing his ears.

“Nobody trusts anyone!” Scott threw his arms in the air, feeling frustrated. “That's the problem. While we’re here, arguing about who's on what side, there's something scarier, stronger and faster than any of us and it’s killing people and we still don’t even know anything about it.”

Glaring at the teen wolf, Derek gave his reply, “I know one thing, when I find it. I’m gonna kill it.”

Haley followed the alpha towards his black Camaro, wild thoughts going through her head. Would she be able to take a life? If that thing is a shape shifter, then who knows who is underneath that lizard body. Then again, that monster has killed innocent people. And it tried to kill not only her tonight, but her friends. Her body was on autopilot, more focused on her thoughts that were swimming in her head. She had not noticed the concerned Isaac standing in front of her as she and the other two made it down the stairs to the subway station.

“Lee?” Isaac called out to her still soaked form as she climbed down the stairs.

Hearing his voice, Haley was brought back to reality, not even noticing his new nickname for her. Stopping in front of him, she brought the sleeve of his hoodie to her mouth and bit down on it, only to take it out after getting a whiff of chlorine. She then remembered how tired her body was after holding the alpha up in the pool. Cupping her cheek in his warm hand, he brought her gaze to his bright blue eyes. Before he could question her again, she latched onto his waist and buried her face into the top of his stomach, making their height differences known. He wrapped his arms around her, not caring that the front of his clothes was now soaked as well. He also took in the smell of chlorine and he knew she had a rough night.

“She can borrow my clothes again,” Erica's voice broke the two apart. She directed this statement towards Isaac because she knew her best friend needed a moment still. “They are in my duffle bag if you want to take her in there. She needs to get out of those wet clothes.”

Nodding his head, he took Haley’s hand and walked her to where Erica stayed. Haley followed the lanky boy and still could not speak quite yet. She may seem like a sarcastic, hardheaded girl, but she still felt so unprepared. Being thrusted into the supernatural so quickly is taking its toll on her and to add not knowing what supernatural creature she was; is just the icing on the cake. She really wanted to know what she was. And now.

“Isaac,” if Isaac didn’t have super hearing, he may not have heard her soft whisper. “Can you stay with me tonight?”

“Of course,” he gave her a small smile, knowing she was scared based on her heartbeat.