Status: in progress

Stay Inside

Chapter Two

“No, you’re absolutely insane. I’m going home.” Savannah turned to climb back out the window.
“You can’t, it’s past 6:00.” Logann pointed to the digital clock that sat on her nightstand.
Savannah glared at her friend.
“I stand to my word, you are insane. You expect me to look outside on purpose? That’s completely stupid.”
“What other choice do we have, Savannah? If we want answers this is the only way to get them. We have been working at this for months! We can’t just throw it all away!” Logann argued.
Savannah sat down in the armchair that was illuminated in moonlight.
“Why am I friends with you?” she grumbled.
“Because I’m the only one smart enough to find out a way to figure this out!”
“Shh!” Savannah hushed, listening to the creaking of the house.
“Savannah, please.” Logann started. “We’ve been working at this for ages. We are so, so close. We can’t just forget about it. No one will even know we broke the law.”
There it was. Breaking the law.
Something Savannah never wanted to do.
Something her best friend was forcing her to do.
Savannah sighed. “Okay, let’s do it.”
Logann smiled. “There’s the Savvy I know.”
So, the two set up their camp, dragging chairs and collecting stashes of food Logann had hidden under her bed.
Logann’s window faced the street, so they had a perfect view of whatever was out there. Unfortunately for Savannah.
They munched on potato chips and sipped sparkling water but nothing happened.
“This is stupid. There’s nothing even out there.” Savannah groaned. “What’s the point of this- “
“Shut up.” Logann whispered.
“Don’t tell me to shut up.” Savannah said.
“No seriously, look.”
Logann pointed to something in the distance.
That something was a glowing sphere that was slowly getting larger. The light that radiated from it was blinding.
“What is that thing?” Savannah asked.
“If I knew, we wouldn’t be doing this late-night watch!” Logann pointed out, keeping her eye on the blinding orb that was slowly approaching.
Savannah looked warily at the thing. Whatever it was, it was starting to glow brighter and grow bigger.
“Logann, I th-I think that’s what the government is protecting us from.” Savannah whispered.
Logann stayed quiet.
“Savannah, I think that thing is the government’s doing. Whatever it is, it’s keeping us from leaving Shoreside.”
Savannah thought about if for a moment.
It was true. No one had ever left Shoreside, ever.
“We have to tell someone,” Savannah begged.
“We cannot tell anyone,” Logann snapped. “This has to be our secret, because for all we know this could get us killed.”
Savannah nodded, before the two heard the shattering of glass coming from downstairs.
Their heads snapped to look at each other.
“What was that?” Savannah asked quietly.
“I have no idea.”
They crept out of Logann’s room, and down the stairs.
In the dark, they could make out the blurred figures standing in front of them. They wore dark clothes, and white masks over their faces.
“That’s them,” one of them said.
Two of the agents rushed forwards and tried to grab Savannah and Logann.
“Run!” Logann shouted, not caring that her parents were asleep.
Savannah obeyed and the two took off back upstairs.
They dove behind Logann’s bed and all they could hear was each other’s breathing.
“Do you think they left?” Savannah whispered.
Logann stood up and looked around.
“Looks like they’re gone- “
A gloved hand placed itself onto Logann’s mouth and pulled her backwards. Savannah heard her best friend’s muffled screams, before she was being carried off as well.
♠ ♠ ♠
Another chapter, I hope you enjoyed. Thanks for reading.