Status: first draft

The Eyes of the Sun and Moon

The Eyes of the Sun and Moon

For the girl, the solstice felt like any other day. She was at peace as she went about her duties, not a care in the world, her shoulders light as a feather.
As dusk drew nearer, however, she began to feel dread in the pit of her stomach. It swirled within her like an angry hurricane, nauseating her. She stepped outside to get some air, to calm her tingling nerves. As she stepped into the light of the fading sun, the moon peering out from behind a hill, a terrible weight engulfed her. She sank to the ground. A glimmering layer of sweat coated her skin, and her bones began to shake. It was too much. She closed her eyes and dove into the comforting darkness.
An unknown amount of time melted around her before a soft breeze caressed her face. Her stomach began to ease as she cooled. She opened her eyes and looked up to see Sun smiling down at her, Moon standing motionless to his side. Her eyes widened, filling with fear and confusion. She began to cry.
“Stand.” said Moon. Sun helped her to her feet. “Your time has come.”
She could barely see through the watery haze. “Am I dead?” she asked, her voice wavering.
“No, my dear,” answered Sun. “You are more alive than ever.”
“You are a goddess.” said Moon.
The Girl couldn’t breathe.
Moon stepped forward, gliding like water, shimmering silver, a cape of pure darkness draped around his shoulders. He soaked up every fiber of light he touched. A crown of twinkling stars danced about his head. “You have attracted the favor of myself and sun, and shall be either his bride or mine. You have already begun transforming. You are no longer a mere human.”
Sun gently placed his hand upon her shoulder. He was radiating golden light, pure warmth emanating from his being. Swirls of blue and white danced about him, rustling his trailing robes. “You must decide,” he told her, “who you shall wed.”
“I want to go home!” she cried. Sun frowned upon her with pity. Moon reached into his cloak, producing a small wooden box. He handed it to the girl.
“It is much too late for that.” he said, “but I can offer you happiness beyond anything you could attain on earth.” She opened the box. Inside was the most beautiful necklace she had ever seen. Dripping silver chains, fluid as a river, cradling swirling pearls and drops of sapphire. She raised it from the box, and Moon’s silver light danced across it in waves of sparking splendor. “In my palace there are thousands more like it. All yours for the taking. I will drape you precious gems, though their beauty shall be eclipsed by yours. You will have everything you have ever desired and more. Gowns worth more than all of your earthly possessions combined. Servants to tend to your every need. Whatever foods you might wish to eat. All you have to do is choose me.” He stepped forward and took the necklace from her hands, fastening it around her neck. His slender fingers brushed against her skin and sent a chill down her spine. She stifled another sob.
Moon stepped back, and Sun approached her once again. He reached into his sleeve and retrieved something that fit into his closed hand. He spoke softly to the girl. “Choose me, and I shall bring you happiness. Together we will rule the sky, and shine life down upon all the creatures of the earth. You will see beauty beyond what you can imagine. The world will be ours to explore and care for. If you choose me I will love you more than life itself, and I will give you all I have.” He opened his hand then, and from his palm burst forth a cascade of blooms and brightly colored butterflies that fluttered forth and kissed her cheeks. Her face felt flush and tingling. She watched the butterflies wander towards the sky, the petals settling around her feet. Sun smiled, and stepped back to stand beside moon.
“You see?” Moon scoffed. “His promises and worthless and fleeting.”
The girl dried her eyes. “I can’t go home?” she asked, though she already knew the answer.
“That is no longer where you belong.” Sun told her. “You must make your decision now.” Sun and Moon held out their hands to her.
She closed her eyes and took a deep breath, letting the air swirl about in her chest. She exhaled, opening her eyes.
The Girl stepped forward and placed her hand in Moon’s.
♠ ♠ ♠
Part 4 of my short story.