Status: first draft

The Eyes of the Sun and Moon

The Eyes of the Sun and Moon

As they ascended through the clouds the girl was transformed. Her skin began to glow from the inside out, her hair turning shining silver. Her simple dress became a startling gown, sparkling stars on deep blue velvet, flowing out behind her in waves. The air was sharply cold, and yet she did not feel discomfort. Moon was growing stronger with the coming night. In a single blink they had arrived at his palace. It glowed softly atop its perch, so high on the mountain it appeared to float on clouds.
They entered through majestic gates into a grand ballroom. Colors she had never imagined swirled together on the high ceiling. Celestial beings cheered as they saw her, their splendid beauty melding into miniature galaxies of light. A star kissed her hand, and lead her to the far end of the grand room. She ascended the dais to the thrones, taking a seat beside Moon.
Moon raised his hand, and the din of the room settled down. “I thank you, friends,” he began, “for honoring my new queen. On this happy day, she has chosen me to be her king. Her life is changed for eternity. Let us celebrate in her honor.”
With that, the clamor of the party started up again. Food was served, and the girl tasted exotic fruits and sweet wines she never even knew existed. Tinkling music filled the air, the gods and goddesses dancing before her with liquid grace. She was presented with gift after gift of beautiful gowns and mesmerizing jewelry, gorgeous pieces of art and strange little pets for her to keep. She stroked the head of something that resembled a purple monkey with delicate wings and smiled. She had always known in her heart that she was meant for something more, but had never imagined her life could be this amazing. The creature in her lap drifted off to sleep, and the girl found herself becoming tired. Morning wasn’t far away.
The party began to die down, and as the last of the guests made their way out the door, Moon had the creature taken off to bed. He stood up, offering the girl his hand. She took it, and he lead her deeper into his palace, down winding hallways and up staircases so tall you couldn’t see the top. Eventually they came to a small door, wooden and worn.
As Moon opened the door for the girl, he wrapped one arm around her waist and held her tightly, cupping her mouth with the other. She gasped in surprise, a pinprick of fear racing through her heart. Then the door swung open, and her eyes met the cold bulging black eyes of another woman. The smell of rotting flesh filled her nose. The woman was laying sprawled on the ground in the center of the room, her legs twisted unnaturally, white bone poking through her ghostly skin. Her blue lips hung open, fingers stuck clawing at her neck. The woman’s beautiful inky-black hair was tangled on the floor around her, matted up in a puddle of blood that surrounded her body. Her once beautiful rosy dress was stained and torn.
She screamed into his hand, struggling against his grasp, but Moon was much too strong. He leaned in close, his icy breath burning her ear as she clawed at his arm. “This is your one warning. If you resist me, if you disobey my orders, I will not be amused.” He shoved her into the room then, slamming the door shut and locking her in. She fell onto the woman on the floor, and began sobbing into her once beautiful hair. She kissed the woman’s cheek, tears streaming down her face. “What did we get ourselves into?”

The next night came like any other. Moon sent his servants to fetch the queen and prepare her for another feast in her honor. The little stars knocked on the girl’s door, but heard no reply. Hesitantly, they opened the door and peered inside.
The girl was hanging from the low rafters, feet ten inches off the ground, bed sheets wrapped around her neck. Her eyes bulging wide, lips blue, stiff as stone. The stars began to cry.
That night it rained, and a low mist settled across the land. Come morning, clouds blocked out the sun, and the world shivered.
♠ ♠ ♠
The 5th and final section of my short story.