In the End

02: You Know That You Are

“So, Adrian, what is it that you do for a living?” Cesc asked politely, disturbing the slightly uncomfortable quiet which had settled over the table the moment that both Adrian and Gerard had sat down. It was unavoidable, despite both Ariella and Gerard trying to put on brave faces, the fact that they, and Adrian, were in the same place at the same time was unavoidably uncomfortable, and Cesc, along with the others, wanted to try and keep the conversation flowing, even if it was a little forced. The idea of trying to make conversation seemed preferable to sitting in uncomfortable silence.

It wasn’t the first time things had felt a little awkward, after Gerard and Ariella had broken up, they’d been out together with their friends more than once, and whilst the awkwardness that existed between them showed little sign of dissipating any time soon, the others had agreed to try and get around it, even if it did take some work. The last thing they wanted was to interfere in something which was very much between the two of them.

Adrian, who’d been quietly perusing the menu, looked up at the sound of his name before he quirked a pleasant smile. “I’m a maths teacher” he mused “I know, it’s pretty boring but...” he trailed off, shrugging his shoulders playfully.

Cesc quirked a small smile before he shook his head. “We won’t hold it against you too much” he teased.

Adrian chuckled. “I’m glad” he quipped “I was worried” he played along.

Cesc flashed him another soft smile before he diverted his stare back down towards his menu, allowing another awkward silence to fill the air before Ariella cleared her throat, shifting a little in her seat. “Are you guys excited to get back to training?” she asked quietly.

“A little” Lionel replied “I mean, it’s been a pretty great summer, but I am sort of looking forwards to getting back to it. It’ll be a little strange with the new coach and without Neymar, but...I think I have a pretty good feeling. Don’t you, Gerard?” he added, sparing a look towards the defender who was sat quietly in his seat, fiddling aimlessly with the napkin that he had placed in his lap. He hadn’t said much, after he had been introduced to Adrian, he had barely uttered two words, and Lionel wanted to encourage him to talk, even if he did understand why he wasn’t overly talkative. He wanted to at least try and keep him involved.

Gerard, who’d zoned out slightly, blinked a couple of times at the sound of his name. “Huh?” he posed.

“Aren’t you excited for the new season?” Lionel rephrased.

Gerard nodded enthusiastically. “I’m looking forwards to it” he quipped “I mean, don’t get me wrong, it’s been good to have a break, but I can’t wait to get back to it. I’ve kind of missed it” he added, a fond smile appearing at the corner of his mouth.

“Kind of?” Ariella quipped with a shy smile “We both know that you’ve always hated the summer breaks, Gerard, there’s no need to pretend otherwise. You’re not exactly fooling anyone” she teased.

Gerard breathed out a soft laugh, a little surprised that she had teased him, before he nonchalantly shrugged, something which made Ariella smile at him gently before she felt a hand on her own causing her to look up, her blue eyes settling on Adrian who grinned down at her, his fingers contently sliding through hers. Blushing, she allowed him to knot their fingers together before she spared a glance back towards Gerard, not missing the fact that his blue eyes were settled on her and Adrian’s hands, something which made her blush darken before she shifted their hands, hiding them beneath the table.

Gerard watched her slip her hand beneath the table before he let out quiet sigh, wordlessly hoping that the rest of the night passed quickly.

~#~
Gently stuffing her hands into the pockets of her jacket, Ariella shifted her feet slightly on the pavement, her blue eyes peeking down the street in search of Adrian’s car. It had been a pleasant evening, even despite the distinct sense of awkwardness which had settled around the group, the dinner had flowed with relative ease, and Ariella was pleased with how it had gone, even if there was no denying that it hadn’t been the most comfortable evening. It had actually gone a little better than she had been anticipating.

Pulling her jacket around herself a little more, she spared another glance down the street before the sound of someone clearing their throat reached her ears, causing her to turn, her blue eyes settling on Gerard who stood behind her, his hands awkwardly stuffed into the pockets of his jacket. “You Ok?” he posed.

Ariella nodded her head. “I was just waiting on Adrian” she quipped “We were running a little behind so he had to park a couple of streets over. He said he’d walk back to the car and then swing by and pick me up” she babbled.

Gerard quirked a half-smile, recognizing her nervous habit, before he nodded, allowing a brief moment of silence to pass between the two of them.

Ariella glanced down at her feet, allowing the silence to linger around them for a few long seconds, before she let out a soft sigh. “Gerard...”

“Don’t say sorry” Gerard interrupted, sensing what was coming.

Ariella blinked a couple of times, caught off guard by his interruption, before she shook her head. “I am sorry” she mumbled.

Gerard shook his head. “You don’t have to be” he countered “He’s your boyfriend, Ella, and you wanted him to meet your friends, all of us. I am you friend, aren’t I?” he asked, peeking up her cautiously.

Ariella hesitated for a split second, meeting his eyes fleetingly, before she nodded. “You know that you are” she quipped “But you’re also...”

“I know I am” Gerard interrupted with a rueful shake of his head “But tonight, that doesn’t matter. I wanted to meet him, Ella” he insisted.

Ariella offered him a dubious look, not quite believing him, before she shook her head, something which made Gerard offer her a light smile. “He seems nice” he mused awkwardly “Adrian, that is. He seems like a pretty decent guy” he added.

Ariella smiled shyly, something which made Gerard’s stomach turn a little. “He is nice” she mused “At least I think so” she added, tucking a few loose dark hairs behind her ear.

Gerard merely nodded his head, allowing another silence to pass between them before the sound of a car pulling to a stop ahead of them filled the air, causing them both to look up towards Adrian who grinned from the driver’s seat. “Your ride” Gerard quipped.

Ariella nodded. “It was good to see you, Geri” she mused.

Gerard smiled. “It was?” he joked.

Ariella laughed. “It was” she insisted “Buenos noches, Geri” she added as she stepped towards him, wrapping him in a quickly hug.

Gerard held onto her for a few seconds, enjoying the familiar embrace, before he took a pace back, allowing her to step away towards the car. Watching her settle into the passenger seat, he flashed her a halfhearted smile and offered a brief wave before he turned away, his eyes settling on Lionel and Cesc who stood a little away from him, sympathetic smiles on their faces.

“You Ok?” Lionel posed.

Gerard scoffed. “What do you think?” he muttered before he strode away, making his way back towards his own car.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to mslou1 and FootieJo for the comments :)