In the End

21: I Wouldn’t Have Put It Like That

Fiddling nervously with the bottom of her skirt, Ariella shifted in her seat, her blue eyes staring aimlessly out of the car window as Gerard steered through the familiar route towards Lionel and Antonella’s home. It had taken a little convincing, after Gerard had extended the invitation for her to join him and their friends for dinner, Ariella had been more than a little hesitant when it came to agreeing, but she had opted to go along with him, even if the thought of the night ahead of them did have butterflies in the pit of her stomach, she had wanted to make the effort and go along for him.

She knew that there was very little for her to be worried about, even after she had broken things off with Gerard, her friendship with Lionel and Antonella had remained largely the same and she doubted that that night would feel much different to the many others that had preceded it, but still she couldn’t shake the nerves which twitched in the pit of her stomach, even despite Gerard’s best efforts to reassure her that that night would be a good one. She couldn’t help but worry a little about how people would react to the idea that she and the defender were attempting to make things work between them again.

Tilting her head forwards slightly, she rested it against the cool glass of the car window for a few seconds before she felt a hand lightly brushing against her thigh, something which caused her to jump before she lifted her head, staring over at Gerard who spared her a glance out of the corner of his eye before he quirked a soft smile. “If you’re going to throw up, I can pull over” he mused “I mean, I’d rather you didn’t ruin my car” he joked.

Ariella merely rolled her eyes, something which caused Gerard to let out a soft sigh, his hand gently brushing up and down her thigh. “You’re not even going to try and fake a laugh?” he quipped “You must be nervous. You normally find me so funny” he added, his voice caught between soft and teasing.

Ariella offered him a faint smile. “Lo siento” she murmured “I know I am being silly” she added, smoothing out her dress slightly.

Gerard grinned at her. “You are” he quipped.

Ariella spared him another roll of her blue eyes despite the slightly amused smile which had appeared on her lips, something which made Gerard chuckle before he offered her thigh a soft squeeze. “I get why you’re worried” he mused “But honestly? I don’t think it’s going to be anywhere near as bad as you think it’s going to be. Of course they’ll have questions, it’s inevitable, but I don’t think they’re going to be upset or anything. I mean, you’re their friend, I’m their friend, and I think they’ll probably only want for the two of us to be happy, which we are, aren’t we?” he asked, peeking at her briefly before he returned his eyes to the road.

He knew why she was apprehensive, after what had happened between the two of them, the chances were that people were going to be curious as to why they’d opted to give things a second go, but he wanted to try and reassure her that it wasn’t going be as bad as she thought it was, wanting her to relax slightly and see that the chances were that their friends would be happy to see the two of them as content as they were.

Ariella caught his eyes slightly before she nodded her head, a soft smile on her lips. “I like to think so” she mused.

“Then relax” Gerard retorted “It’s going to be fine” he added confidently.

Ariella offered him a slightly dubious look, something which caused Gerard to take a hold of her hand, pulling it against his lips briefly as he mumbled a few more comforting words to her. Ariella felt her cheeks warm slightly before she squeezed his hand gently, hoping that he was right about the night ahead of them.

~#~
“Can I get you another drink, Gerard?”

Gerard, who was perched at the edge of the patio, startled a little at the sound of Lionel’s voice before he lifted his head, his eyes settling on the argentine who stood in the doorway, a glass of wine clutched in his hand. It had been a pleasant night, after he and Ariella had arrived at Lionel’s home together, the evening had quickly fallen into a familiar pattern that they’d enjoyed more than once before, and the defender knew that the brunette was relieved by how comfortable things felt, something which pleased him, even if he had caught one or two curious looks from the forward and his wife. He was merely glad that Ariella had relaxed.

He wasn’t naïve, with the way that Ariella had ended things so suddenly between them, he knew that people would wonder why on earth he had even contemplated getting back with her, but he didn’t care. She made him happy, despite all that had happened, she was the one he loved, and it wasn’t just going to change, even if she had hurt him before. He didn’t want to let what they had just slip by him.

“I’m alright” Gerard replied, showing off the glass of water he held in his hand “What’ve you done with Ella?” he posed.

“She and Antonella are inside trying to choose a film for us all to watch” Lionel replied, settling down into the spot beside the defender.

Gerard nodded in acknowledgement of his response before a silence fell between the two of them, something which made the defender smirk before he shook his head. “You can say it, you know” he murmured.

Lionel’s eyes widened slightly, something which made Gerard chuckle. “You didn’t just ‘happen’ to come out here with a drink, Leo” he quipped “You’ve been trying to get me alone all night. So, why don’t you just say what you’ve got to say so that we don’t end up keeping the girls waiting” he added. He knew that the argentine wanted to talk to him, from the second that he had pulled the front door open to him and Ariella, he had had a look on his face which confided it, and Gerard merely wanted to get it over with, almost certain that he knew what the other man would say.

Lionel glanced at him for a moment, studying the expression that he wore on his face, before he let out a soft sigh, shaking his head. “You know I love her” he quipped “I mean, Ella...she’s one of my closest friends, one of Antonella’s too, and you know that I like having her around but...”

“But what am I doing?” Gerard finished for him.

Lionel breathed out a nervous laugh. “I wouldn’t have quite phrased it like that” he quipped “But in essence, that’s what I am wondering. I mean, Gerard, she hurt you pretty bad and I...”

“You think I have just forgotten that?” Gerard interrupted, his tone slightly incredulous.

Lionel shook his head. “Of course not” he noted “I’m just surprised. When we went out with Cesc, you said that you didn’t know how things would work out if you gave it another shot, and yet here you are, together. I am just trying to make sure that you know what you’re doing, Gerard. I don’t want to watch you get hurt again” he explained thoughtfully.

Gerard was quiet for a few seconds, allowing Lionel’s words to hang around them, before he shook his head. “I know that you’re just trying to look out for me” he mumbled “And I am grateful for that, but Ella...I love her, Leo, and I want to try and make things work between the two of us. You might think that that is stupid...”

“I never said that” Lionel interrupted “I don’t think it is stupid for you to want to make something work with a woman I know that you care a lot about. I just wanted to make sure that you knew what you were doing. You know that I think that you were great together.” he insisted warmly.

Gerard quirked a faint smile at the compliment. “I know what I am doing” he noted firmly.

Lionel returned his smile before he leant over, patting his shoulder gently. “Then I am happy for you” he replied “Both of you” he added.

Gerard offered him another small grin before the sound of a light cough reached him, causing him to turn, his eyes settling on Ariella who stood in the doorway, chewing on her lip nervously. “Am I interrupting?” she posed.

Lionel quickly shook his head. “Of course not” he noted “Did you and Antonella finally settle on a film?” he posed as he ushered himself up to his feet, stepping towards the door.

Ariella nodded. “She’s just setting up” she mused “She sent me to find the two of you. I can give you a little longer if you...”

“We’re OK” Lionel interrupted with a small smile “Besides, I could do with something else to eat. Can I get the two of you anything?” he posed as he stepped past her.

Gerard shook his head. “We’re fine, hombre” he replied.

Lionel nodded his head dutifully before he disappeared into the house, affording Ariella the chance to turn towards Gerard who’d stepped up the patio towards her. “Is everything Ok?” she posed, her tone soft and nervous.

Gerard smiled a little, not missing the tone in her voice, before he stepped a little closer to her, pressing a soft kiss against her forehead. “Everything is fine” he mumbled against her skin.

Ariella closed her eyes at the feel of his lips against her head before she reached her arms forwards, settling them gently around his waist. “You sure about that?” she mumbled “I mean, you and Leo were out here for a while” she added, tilting her head so that she looked up at him.

Gerard met her eyes, smiling a little at her concern, before he lifted his hand, tenderly tucking her hair off of her face. “It’s nothing to be worried about” he noted “Just Leo worrying like always, but it’s fine. I told him where I stand and he said that he’s happy for both of us” he mused reassuringly.

Ariella offered him a dubious look, something which made him chuckle before he leant down slightly, kissing the side of her nose before he reached her lips, wordlessly reassuring her that she didn’t need to be so worried. He knew that Lionel wouldn’t be the last person to ask, he knew that a lot of his friends and family in particular would be keen to ensure that he knew what he was doing by getting back together with her, but he didn’t want Ariella to worry about it. He knew what he wanted, even despite what had happened, he knew that he was at his happiest around her, and he wanted her to know it.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234, FootieJo and mslou1 for the comments :)