In the End

27: I Don’t Say It That Much

Pulling her scarf a little tighter around her neck, Ariella rested back into her seat, her eyes staring down at the pitch ahead of her, waiting for the match to kick off. it had been a while, after she had attended the first leg of the Spanish super cup, she hadn’t been to another one of Barcelona’s matches that season, but with her having travelled to Madrid to spend the holidays with her father, Gerard had been quick to offer her and her father tickets to that afternoon’s Clasico, something Jacob had been quick to insist that she take him up on. They hadn’t been to a match together in a while, with them living in two separate cities, opportunities for the two of them to do something together were few and far between, and Jacob was keen to make the most of her visit, wanting to enjoy the few days that his daughter planned on spending in the Spanish capital.

Readjusting the hat that she wore on her head, she quirked a small smile as she watched the teams step out the pitch before she felt a hand nudge against her shoulder, causing her to look up, smiling as her father held out a warm cup of tea towards her. “I thought you could use this” he quipped “I mean, it was either buy you this or listen to you complain about being cold for the next ninety minutes” he added, flashing her an impish smile.

Ariella, who’d moved to take the cup out of his hand, rolled her eyes. “I could have not invited you” she quipped.

Jacob, who’d slipped into the seat beside, nodded. “You could have done that” he retorted “And then I could have told you that your boyfriend wasn’t allowed to stay over tonight” he added, offering her a playful smirk.

Ariella spared him another roll of her eyes before she shook her head, sipping on her drink. “You are Ok with him sticking around for tonight and tomorrow, aren’t you?” she posed, sparing her father a slightly uncertain glance “I mean, I know how much you are looking forwards to it just being me, you, Sabrina and the boys, and I wanted to make sure. You really don’t mind?” she added, her voice softening slightly.

It was something that Jacob looked forwards to, with Ariella alternating her Christmases between her mother and her father, she knew that Jacob enjoyed keeping their celebrations quiet and just for their family, and she wanted to ensure that he didn’t mind Gerard sticking around, even if the defender was due to leave late on Christmas eve in order to spend the holiday with his family. She didn’t want to ruin her father’s plans.

Jacob, who’d been watching the game, looked up at the sound of her voice before offered her a small shake of his head. “I really don’t mind” he noted warmly “If anything, I am pleased that you opted to invite him. He’s your boyfriend, Ella, and if you want him there, then we do too” he added, offering her a comforting smile.

“Really?” Ariella posed, her expression slightly dubious.

Jacob nodded. “Of course” he quipped “Besides, the boys are already excited. They plan on spending the evening telling Gerard all of the reasons that Atleti are better than Barca” he added playfully.

Ariella smiled softly, something which made Jacob smile in return before he returned his attention down towards the pitch. It was a big deal, the idea that Ariella had opted to invite Gerard to stay for a little while was something he knew meant a lot to Ariella, and he wanted to reassure her that he didn’t mind, even if it was a move away from their traditions. He wanted her to know that he was pleased that she had opted to invite the defender. He knew that it was still early days, whatever it was that was happening between his daughter and the defender was still obviously in its fledgling stages, and whilst he didn’t want to try and push things, he did want to encourage it, knowing just how much the defender meant to his daughter.

~#~
Gently pulling her hair up into a loose ponytail, Ariella ducked out of the bathroom, padding her way across the hall towards the bedroom that her father had set up for her and Gerard. It had been a good day, after the match which had seen Barcelona record a comfortable win over Real Madrid, she and Gerard had spent the day with her father and his family, and she was pleased by how comfortable things had seemed, and how at ease Gerard had been around her step-mother and brothers. It wasn’t a surprise to her, one of the things that she liked most about Gerard was his confidence, but she had to admit that it had pleased her how easily he had made conversation, even if her two younger brothers had spent most of the day pestering him. He had simply taken it all in his stride.

Smiling a little to herself, she gently nudged the bedroom door open before she stepped inside, her blue eyes quickly setting on Gerard who was sat up against the headboard of the bed, flicking through something on his phone. “Did you get lost on your way back from the bathroom?” he quipped amusedly, glancing away from the screen towards her.

Ariella, who’d moved to perch at the foot of the bed, rolled her eyes, but couldn’t stifle her smile, something which Gerard smile gently before he shuffled down the bed, slipping into the spot at her side. “You’re sure that it is OK for me to stay in here tonight?” he asked.

Ariella nodded. “Why wouldn’t it be?” she posed.

“Your papa glared at me the whole way up the stairs” Gerard replied with a warm smile “That, and the fact that, since we got back together, we’ve not even spent the night in the same apartment or house, and now we’re set to share a bed. I just thought I would make sure that you’re alright with it” he added, his voice softening slightly as he leant forwards, gently resting his head against hers.

Ariella closed her eyes at the contact, allowing a comfortable silence to pass between them briefly, before she quirked a soft smile. “I’m OK with it if you are” she mused “I mean, if you’d rather sleep on the couch...” her words trailed off as Gerard leant into her, pressing a soft kiss against her lips.

Ariella grinned into the kiss, gently pushing her fingertips back through his dark hair before she pulled away, a soft hint of pink on her cheeks. Shaking her head gently, she pushed herself up to her feet before she padded around the bed, moving to climb inside. “You’re staying?” she posed.

Gerard let out a small laugh before he mimicked her actions, climbing into the other side of the bed before he settled his head against the pillow, laying face to face with her. “Hola” he breathed impishly.

Ariella giggled before she shook her head, her foot gently nudging his shin. “Get some sleep, idiot” she muttered.

Gerard let out a mock gasp at her playful insult, something which made Ariella roll her eyes before she gently reached her hand out, pushing his dark hair off of his forehead. “You know I am glad that you’re here, right?” she asked gently “I mean, don’t get me wrong, spending time with my papa, Sabrina and the boys would have been a lot of fun, even without you, but I am pretty glad that you’re here. I know I don’t say it a lot, but I like having you around” she added quietly.

Gerard leant into her touch, a soft smile on his face. “You do?” he posed.

Ariella shook her head, shying away into her pillow slightly. “That sounded really dorky, didn’t it?” she fussed.

Gerard contemplated shrugging and offering her a playful retort for a moment before he gently shook his head, leaning a little closer to her so that he could place a gentle kiss on her forehead. “You are dorky” he murmured as he leant back ever so slightly “But it is one of the many things that I absolutely love about you” he added, pressing another soft kiss against her head.

Ariella’s cheeks flushed a dark shade of pink at his words before she shuffled a little closer to him, cuddling happily into his side as his arm settled over her waist. “I love you” she mumbled, pressing a soft kiss against his chin.

Gerard pressed a soft kiss against the top of her head, mumbling the same three words in return, before he closed his eyes, hoping that that night was the first of many more to come.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to mslou1, Jayme112234 and FootieJo for the comments :)