In the End

29: Tell Us Something We Don’t Know

Slipping his keys and wallet into his jacket pocket, Gerard quirked a small grin to himself, his ears filled with the distant sound of the front door bell which filled the otherwise quiet house. He knew who it was, with him and Ariella due to head out that evening to celebrate the impending New Year, he was almost certain that it would be her that was ringing the doorbell, and he couldn’t help but smile a little, more than looking forwards to seeing her again. It had been a few days, after he had left her father’s house on Christmas eve, they’d not seen one another face to face, and whilst they’d shared a couple of video chats, Gerard was looking forwards to them being back together, even if it had only been a few days. As silly as it was, he had missed her.

Sparing a quick glance towards his bedroom mirror, he pushed his hand quickly back through his hair before he jogged out of the room, making his way down the stairs. Jogging through the hall, he quickly reached the door before he pulled it open, his smile widening a little as his eyes landed on Ariella who stood outside on the step, tugging her coat a little more around herself to ward off the cold.

Ariella looked up at the sound of the door opening before she quirked a small smile of her own, her fingers gently pushing a couple of loose dark hairs behind her ear. “You took your time” she quipped “I was starting to think that you’d stood me up” she added.

Gerard scoffed playfully before he stepped out of the doorway slightly, allowing her to step over threshold. “Because I’d invite you to my house just to hide when you showed up” he quipped “That’s a really good plan, Ella” he added sarcastically.

Ariella rolled her eyes, something which made Gerard chuckle before he stepped towards her, greeting her with a soft kiss. “Hola” he chirped as he leant back slightly.

Ariella smiled up at him. “Hola” she mimicked.

Gerard admired her smile for a moment, wordlessly fussing about how much he liked seeing it, before he stepped back from her slightly, moving to lift his coat off of the rack. “You ready to get going?” he posed.

“As ready as I will ever be” Ariella replied, a slightly shy expression passing over her features.

Gerard noted the shift in her expression before he reached his hand out, capturing hers before he offered it a soft squeeze. “It’ll be fine” he mused “I mean, we’ve already had dinner with Antonella and Leo, and I doubt Cesc is going to say anything. He likes to gloat about playing matchmaker too much to make a comment about us getting back together” he added, a reassuring smile on his lips.

It was getting slightly better, despite the fact that Ariella was still a little nervous about how people would react to them, she was starting to relax slightly, and it pleased Gerard, even if he was aware that she was still a slightly nervous. He was pleased that she seemed to be relaxing into a relationship which, to him at least, appeared to be going from strength to strength.

Ariella’s lips quirked upwards slightly, something which caused Gerard to offer her hand another soft squeeze before he tilted his head towards the door. “Come on” he quipped “Let’s get this over with” he added, sparing her a playful roll of his eyes.

Ariella let out a small laugh before she nodded her head, padding back towards the front door, pulling it open. Gerard watched her duck out of the door before he shook his head, quickly following after her, hoping that that night would go off without a hitch.

~#~
Gently brushing his thumb against the top of Ariella’s arm, Gerard grinned quietly to himself, half-listening to the conversations which were flowing around him. It had been a good night, with Cesc and Daniella having flown in from London, the three couples had been quick to set about making plans to ring in the new year together, and after they’d enjoyed a nice meal out, they’d returned to Gerard’s home, waiting for the clock to countdown until midnight.

Brushing his thumb up and down her arm, he gently leant across and kissed the side her head, something which caused Ariella, who was contently cooing over baby pictures with Daniella, to look up, a soft blush spreading across her cheeks. “What was that for?” she posed.

Gerard shrugged. “Just because” he quipped impishly.

Ariella rolled her eyes, but couldn’t keep the smile away from her lips, something which made Cesc, who was sat a little away from the couple, let out a dramatic sigh. “Aww” he cooed, his voice deliberately obnoxious and teasing “You two are just so cute” he added with a smirk.

Gerard snorted playfully. “Try telling us something we don’t already know” he quipped.

Cesc rolled his eyes playfully before he shook his head, his smirk softening into a more sincere smile. “Seriously though” he mused “I’m happy for the two of you. I know you must have heard it hundreds of times, but you two are good together and I am glad that you’re back on again. I hope this time it is a more permanent arrangement” he added.

Ariella, who’d gently cuddled into Gerard’s embrace, smiled. “I hope so too” she fussed softly, offering Gerard’s body a soft hug, something which made the defender’s own smile widen a fraction.

Cesc smiled at the sight of the two of them before he lifted his drink, proposing a toast. “To Gerard and Ella” he toasted

The others in the room mimicked his toast before Lionel gestured towards the clock. “It’s almost midnight” he mused “Ten seconds” he added.

The room was quiet for a few seconds, allowing the last few seconds of the year to tick by, before the clock struck midnight, something which caused Ariella to tilt her head upwards slightly, her blue eyes mirroring Gerard’s as he peeked down at her. “Happy New Year” she mused softly.

Gerard squeezed her waist gently before he leant forwards, kissing her forehead and nose before he met her lips. Ariella smiled into the kiss warmly, kissing him back gently for a few seconds before he pulled away, resting his forehead against hers. “Happy New Year” he returned.

Ariella closed her eyes for a few seconds, enjoying their comfortable embrace, before she blinked them open, looking up at him again. “Have you got any ambitions for the new year?” she posed as she gently lifted her hand, pushing the hair off of his forehead.

Gerard shrugged. “A few” he quipped “You?” he posed.

Ariella tilted her head, an inquisitive smile on her lips. “You’re not going to tell me what they are?” she posed.

Gerard smirked but shook his head, something which made Ariella scoff, her hand gently nudging his shoulder. “Seriously?” she squeaked playfully.

Gerard chuckled a little before he shook his head. “It’s only a few things” he mused “I mean, I want to do well with Barca, and, seeing as it is a world cup year, I’d like to do well with Spain, but I think my most important ambition might to make sure that, this time next year, you’re still here with me” he added, his voice softening slightly.

Ariella blinked a couple of times, slightly surprised by his words, before she tilted her head, gently tucking her hair behind her ear. “You think we’ll make it a year?” she posed.

“I do” Gerard replied with a confident nod “In fact, I am pretty confident of it” he added.

“You are?” Ariella posed, smiling a little at his confidence.

Gerard nodded. “I’m a better boyfriend” he mused “After...after last time, I’ve learned from my mistakes, and I know you have too, and that’s why I am confident about it. We’re a better couple now, Ella, we’re better for each other, and I am not in a hurry to let that go. I know it’s only been a couple of months, but I have a really good feeling about this, Ella” he insisted gently.

He was convinced of them, after their breakup and subsequent reconciliation, he was confident that them being together was how it was supposed to be, and he wanted her to know it, even if he did run the risk of her freaking out on him for getting too serious too soon. He wanted her to know that he had little intention of letting whatever was happening between the two of them go without a fight.

Ariella gazed up at him for a few seconds, allowing his words to hang around them, before she gently shook her head, a soft smile on her lips. “I’ve already made the mistake of letting you go once” she mused “It’s not something I’m in a hurry to repeat, Geri. We’ll make it to next year, I am sure of it” she insisted before the sound of Cesc’s voice calling her name reached her, causing her to let out a playful sigh before she pushed herself up to her feet, moving to embrace the other Spaniard who was quick to wish her a happy new year.

Gerard watched the two of them for a second before he smiled to himself, Ariella’s words ringing in his ears. It was rare, since they’d gotten back together, he couldn’t really recall a time that Ariella had appeared certain about what they were doing, and he was relieved to hear her say it, more than sure that he didn’t want to make a mess of things for a second time.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to mslou1, FootieJo and Jayme112234 for the comments :)