In the End

30: I Can’t Make Any Promises

“Gerard?”

Gerard, who’d been contently sleeping, stirred a little at the sound of his name before he carefully allowed his eyes to open, settling them on Ariella who stood beside the bed, a soft smile playing on her lips, a sight which instinctively brought a grin to his own face. It had been a little while, after they’d celebrated the New Year, a few weeks had passed, and things between the two of them seemed to only seemed to be getting more comfortable, something which pleased the defender, even if he didn’t want to get too far ahead of himself. He couldn’t shake the good feeling about them that he had in the pit of his stomach. They were growing into it, after a few uncertain weeks littered with awkward moments and uncertainties, they’d settled into a familiar and comfortable routine and Gerard was thrilled with their progress, even if they’d only been together for a few months. He was increasingly confident in them.

Running a hand back through his hair, he stared up at her sleepily for a few seconds before he shook his head, stifling a soft yawn into his hand. “What time is it?” he mumbled “Did I sleep through my alarm?” he added, trying to wake himself up slightly.

Ariella, who’d moved to perch on the side of the bed, shook her head. “You didn’t” she replied.

“Then why are you waking me up?” Gerard complained, cuddling a little closer to his pillow.

Ariella rolled her eyes, a playful smirk on her face. “You really don’t know what today is?” she posed.

Gerard merely groaned in response, something which Ariella giggle before she pushed herself up to her feet, playfully taking a couple of steps away from the side of the bed. “I guess I will just throw the wonderful birthday breakfast I made for you away then” she teased.

Gerard, who’d closed his eyes again, laid still for a moment, allowing her words to hang in the air, before he rolled into his back, a lazy smile spreading across his face. “You made me breakfast?” he posed.

Ariella let out a small laugh before she nodded her head, something which caused Gerard to reach his arm out towards her, gently tugging her back towards the bed before he leant up, pressing a soft kiss against her lips.

Ariella smiled into the kiss happily, her cheeks flushing a soft shade of pink, before she gently pulled away from him. “Come on” she murmured as Gerard stole another light kiss “I’d rather not let this food go to waste. Get up” she added, poking his side playfully.

Gerard huffed out a playful sigh, something which made Ariella grin at him before she leant in, sneaking another quick kiss before she slipped out of his embrace, padding out of the bedroom. Gerard watched her out of the door before he rested his head back against his pillow, a wide smile on his lips.

~#~
“Are you sure that you have to get to this meeting?” Gerard posed as he plopped down at the foot of his bed, his blue eyes settled on Ariella who stood ahead of the mirror, trying to curl her dark hair slightly. It had been a good morning, after Ariella had gotten him out of bed, she had set about making a fuss of the fact that it was his birthday, and Gerard had enjoyed himself, pleased by just how at ease both he and Ariella appeared to have felt.

Ariella, who had been focused on curling a strand of hair, smirked back at him via the mirror. “I’m pretty sure” she returned “I mean, the bride I am seeing this morning is due to be married in a week, so I don’t think she would be very appreciative of me cancelling at the last minute just because it’s your birthday. Besides, don’t you have to get training soon anyway?” she added.

Gerard shrugged. “Perhaps” he quipped.

Ariella rolled her eyes at him before she returned her attention to fixing her hair, allowing a moment of silence to pass between the two of them.

Gerard watched her quietly for a few seconds, a fond smile on his lips, before the sound of his phone vibrating against the end table reached his ears, causing him to let out a quiet sigh before he hauled himself over the bed, lifting the phone into his hand. Scanning the text quickly, he tapped out a reply before he settled the phone back down onto the end table, pushing himself up to his feet. Quietly, he took a couple of steps across the room before he reached the spot behind Ariella, his arms gently curving around her waist.

Ariella jumped, not quite expecting the embrace, but she relaxed into it quickly, offering him a soft smile over her shoulder.

Gerard marveled at her smile for a couple of seconds before he leant forwards slightly, resting his head against hers. “Do you have plans for tonight?” he mumbled quietly, not wanting to disturb the comfortable quiet which had settled over the two of them.

Ariella closed her eyes, content in their embrace. “I don’t think so” she replied “I mean, we made plans to go out and celebrate your birthday on Sunday after the game. I thought that that was what you wanted?” she posed.

“It is” Gerard replied “There’s something else I want to run by you” he added.

Ariella pulled away from him slightly, turning so that they stood face to face. “There is?” she asked.

Gerard nodded, a slightly sheepish smile on his lips. “The text I just got” he mused “That was from my madre. She’s invited me over to dinner tonight and I was hoping that...that maybe you’d be interested in coming along with me” he added, his voice slightly tentative.

He knew that it was something that Ariella was worried about, whenever the topic of her spending time with his mother and father arose in the conversation, she was quick to change the subject, and whilst he knew that she was worried about their reaction to her, he wanted to extend the invitation, not wanting to keep his parents and his girlfriend separate for much longer. He knew why she was worried, after the way that their first relationship had ended, and the way that he had gotten hurt, he was almost certain that his parents’ reaction towards her and towards their decision to try again would be less than welcoming, but it was merely something that they to face, even if it was likely to make for an uncomfortable evening. It wasn’t something that they could keep avoiding.

Ariella stared up at him. “You...you want me to come with you?” she breathed.

Gerard nodded, a soft smile on his face. “I know it’s not something you’re looking forwards to” he noted, not missing the nervous expression which had been quick to spread across her features “But it would mean a lot to me. It’s my birthday, Ella, and I’d like to spend it surrounded by people that I love, and that includes you” he insisted softly.

Ariella chewed her lip quietly, something which made Gerard sigh softly before he reached his hand out, carefully cupping it around her cheek. “I can’t promise it will be the best night of your life” he noted “And I can’t promise that it won’t be awkward for everyone involved, but we both know that we can’t keep avoiding this forever, and honestly? I don’t really want to keep avoiding it” he added, his thumb lightly brushing along her cheekbone.

Ariella leant into his touch, quietly mulling over his words for a few moments, before she let out a soft sigh. “You really want it to be tonight?” she posed “I mean, it is your birthday. Is that really how you want to spend it?” she fretted.

Gerard didn’t hesitate in nodding. “I’d like it” he confirmed.

Ariella looked up at him, her blue eyes searching his for a few seconds, before she hesitantly nodded her head. “Alright” she agreed.

“Really?” Gerard asked.

“You’re right” Ariella replied “We can’t just keep avoiding it” she added, her eyes dropping towards her feet.

Gerard leant forwards, pressing a soft kiss against the top of her head as he mumbled a few soft reassurances to her. He knew he couldn’t stop her worrying, with him not entirely certain of the way that his parents would react to her, he knew that he had very little that he could say to relax her, but he was pleased that she had agreed to go with him, even if he knew that it made her nervous. He was pleased that she was at least willing to give it a shot.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to mslou1, FootieJo and Jayme112234 for the comments :)