In the End

39: I Think It Means You’re In Love

Resting his shoulder against the frame of Ariella’s bedroom door, Gerard quirked a small grin to himself, his blue eyes surveying the array of cardboard boxes which were strewn across the floor. It’d been a few days, after he’d asked Ariella to move in with him, they’d taken a little over a week to let the idea settle in, but, after putting it off for a few days, they’d started to pack up Ariella’s apartment, something which had a grin stuck to Gerard’s face.

He hadn’t been expecting it, after the way he’d blurted out asking her to move in with him, he had almost been entirely convinced that she would shoot him down, but he was thrilled that she hadn’t, and even more so that she seemed so excited by the idea. She was happy, the smile that she wore whenever she caught his eye confided it to him, and Gerard was pleased to see her so content. He had thought it would take a lot more time for her to relax into their relationship.

Grinning to himself, he admired the scattered boxes for a few more seconds before the sound of someone clearing their throat reached his ears, causing him to lift his eyes, settling them on Ariella who’d padded out of the bathroom, a curious expression on her features. “Are you actually going to pack something?” she asked “Or do you think it will do it itself if you stare at it for long enough?” she added, flashing him a small smirk as she took a seat beside one of the boxes, stowing a few more of her things inside.

Gerard let out a small laugh at her joke before he shook his head. “As much as I would love to help out some more, I have to get going” he mused. “I’ve got to be on my way to training. I’ll be back this afternoon, though, if you don’t mind me coming back. If you’re lucky, I might even bring you some lunch” he added impishly.

Ariella, who’d focused her attention on the box which sat ahead of her, looked up at him before she nodded her head. “You should bring enough for a couple of people” she noted “My madre’s popping by in a bit, and I think we both know that she will almost certainly still be here when you get back” she mused, rolling her eyes playfully.

It wasn’t a surprise, with her having shared the news that she and Gerard planned to move in together, the visit from her mother had always been inevitable, and whilst she knew that it would almost certainly entail Estella asking if she was sure about what they were doing, a small part of her was looking forwards to it, wanting to share her excitement about the way things were moving forwards for her and Gerard with her mother. She knew that Estella liked him, the older woman had been keen on the defender from the moment that she’d met him, and she knew that she would be excited for them, something which pleased Ariella, even if she was confident that they were making the right move at the right time. A small part of her wanted to hear some kind of reassurance that it was a good step for the two of them to take.

Gerard snorted out laugh. “I can’t help that she likes me” he quipped.

“She likes you more than she likes me” Ariella pointed out.

Gerard merely shrugged, something which made Ariella scoff playfully before she pushed herself up to her feet, moving to collect a few more of her things. “Don’t you have somewhere else you need to be?” she asked.

Gerard, who’d been watching her quietly, huffed out a playful sigh before he nodded his head. “I should probably get going” he noted “Try not to miss me too much” he added, a smirk on his face.

Ariella snorted, but didn’t quip back a comment, something which made Gerard’s smile soften before he took a step towards her, pressing a soft kiss against both her cheek and her nose before he met her lips. Ariella smiled into the kiss, relishing the soft touch for a couple of seconds, before Gerard reluctantly pulled back, a slightly rueful smile tugging at the corner of his mouth. “I really have to go” he mumbled.

Ariella nodded, her fingers gently adjusting the collar of the shirt that he wore, before she took a pace back, offering him a soft smile. “I’ll see you later” she mused.

Gerard returned her smile gently before he leant into her, sneaking another quick kiss before he ducked out of the door.

~#~
“So, how much longer do you think it will be before you start moving this boxes out of here?” Estella posed as she stepped into the living room, settling a mug of tea down ahead of Ariella who was sat beside the coffee table, placing books into the box ahead of her. It had been a relaxed morning, with Ariella excited about moving in with Gerard, she had been talkative and bright, and Estella had to admit that she was pleased to see it, even if the news that the two of them planned to move in together had come as a shock to her. She couldn’t help but be pleased that Ariella looked so made up by it.

Ariella, who’d been flicking vaguely through the book in her hands, smiled at her mother’s question before she shrugged, looking at her over her shoulder. “I’ve still got a lot to pack up” she noted “I mean, I’ve packed a lot of my unessential things, but there’s still a lot left. It’ll probably be another week or so before we actually start moving my stuff into Gerard’s place” she explained.

“And you’re excited about that?” Estella asked curiously, sipping on her drink.

Ariella hesitated for a fraction of a second before she nodded, a soft smile spreading across her face. “I am” she breathed “There’s a part of me that’s incredibly nervous, I mean, this is the first time that I’ve moved in with someone that’s not you or papa, and that’s really quite scary, but then I remember that... that it’s Gerard and I kind of get a little less nervous. That’s pretty stupid, isn’t it?” she babbled, her cheeks flushing a soft shade of pink.

Estella shook her head, smiling over the rim of her cup. “That’s not stupid” she mused.

“Really?” Ariella squeaked.

“Really” Estella confirmed “I think it probably means that you’re in love, baby” she cooed.

Ariella’s already pink cheeks flushed a shade darker, something which made Estella’s grin widen before she leant forwards, gently squeezing Ariella’s shoulder. “For the record” she mused “I’m pretty proud of your choice in boyfriend. I mean, he’s smart, he’s thoughtful and we both know how good looking he is. When it comes to a potential son-in-law for me, you’ve chosen well, baby” she fussed, a proud grin on her face.

She was proud of Ariella, after the mess that she had made of their first relationship, it would have been easy for her to simply let Gerard slip out of her grasp for good, but she was pleased that she hadn’t, even if it had taken them a while to get things settled between the two of them. She was glad that Ariella had fought for things between her and Gerard to work out.

Ariella wrinkled her nose at her mother’s words. “Mama” she complained.

“What?” Estella quipped “You can’t blame me for getting a little ahead of myself. Just imagine how adorable the babies would be” she cooed teasingly.

Ariella merely rolled her eyes, something which caused Estella to lean forwards, pressing a kiss against the top of her daughter’s head. “Don’t worry” she murmured “I know that things like that...they’re a while off and this isn’t me trying to pressure you, baby. I’m just...I’m trying to tell you that I am happy for you. You and Gerard, it’s not exactly been a straight forwards journey, but it’s ended up the right way for you both and I am happy that it has. He’s a wonderful man, baby, and you make a wonderful couple” she insisted fondly.

Ariella leant back against her mother for a couple of seconds, mulling over her words, before she spared her a glance over her shoulder, a soft smile on her lips, a sight which made Estella’s own smile widen, more than pleased to see her little girl looking so happy.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234, FootieJo and mslou1 for the comments :)