In the End

47: Something You Wanted

Gently tucking her hair into a messy bun, Ariella moved to sit down in the centre of the bed, her eyes settled on the laptop which sat on the duvet ahead of her. It had been a few days, after Gerard had departed to meet up with Spain squad, a little over a week had passed, and with a few days off from work, Ariella had travelled to Madrid, intending to share the news of her pregnancy with her father and his family. They were the last ones left, after they’d shared the news with Estella and Stefan, they’d quickly shared the news with Gerard’s parents who had taken it a lot better than Ariella had been expecting, but with her bump slowly becoming more and more obvious, she knew that she couldn’t hide it for much longer, not wanting her father to find out about his first grandchild from anyone other than her or Gerard.

Checking her reflection in the blank screen of her laptop, she carefully tucked a few more loose hairs off of her face before she felt her phone vibrate in her pocket, something which caused her to smile softly before she turned on her laptop, quickly accepting the call from Gerard. “Hi” she greeted bashfully.

Gerard, who’d been ruffling his hair, paused at the sound of her voice before he looked up, grinning into camera. “Hi” he mused “You look beautiful” he added.

Ariella blushed, but shook her head, a coy smile pulling at the corner of her mouth. “You don’t have to say that” she mused “I’ve spent the last half an hour crouched over the toilet. I know that I am not looking my best” she added.

Gerard quirked a sympathetic smile. “It was a bad morning?” he asked.

Ariella shrugged. “It wasn’t great” she mumbled “And it probably didn’t help that I was trying my hardest to be quiet. I know that I have to tell my papa, but I was sort of hoping to do it whilst I wasn’t crouched over the toilet, throwing up everything in my stomach” she added, a faint smile on her face.

Gerard returned her smile softly before he shook his head, sparing a soft yawn into his hand. “You’ve still not told him?” he asked.

“Not yet” Ariella mused “But I will” she added, her voice slightly defensive.

Gerard laughed tiredly. “I don’t doubt it” he quipped “Besides, if he hears you throwing up, he’ll figure it out pretty quickly. You’re a terrible liar” he added.

Ariella merely rolled her eyes, something which made Gerard smile at her softly. “You doing Ok?” he asked.

Ariella nodded. “I’m alright” she confirmed “I mean, I could do without the nausea and the tiredness, but I am OK. I’ll get by” she added.

Gerard spared a slightly dubious look, asking if she was sure, before he let out a quiet sigh. “I miss you” he mumbled “I mean, I know it’s only been a week, but I kind of miss waking up to kiss both you and bump...”

“Bump?”

Ariella, who’d been staring at the screen of her laptop, jumped at the sound of her father’s voice before she quickly lifted her head, her eyes settling on where he stood in the doorway, his eyes wide in surprise. “Did he just...did he say bump?” Jacob stumbled out.

Ariella blinked a couple of times, surprised by his interruption, before she flicked her attention back towards the laptop, offering Gerard an apologetic smile. “I’ve got to go” she mused “I will call you back later though, alright?” she asked.

Gerard mirrored her apologetic grin, before he nodded. “Of course” he mused “I’ll speak to you then, Ella” he added before he ended the call.

Ariella stared at the blank screen for a few seconds, allowing a beat of silence to pass, before she tentatively lifted her head, offering her father a soft look. “Papa?” she murmured.

Jacob, who’d been staring off into space, blinked at the sound of her voice before he lowered his stare back towards her. “I heard him right, didn’t I?” he breathed.

Ariella nodded. “You did” she confirmed.

“He said bump” Jacob repeated quietly “He...he was talking about a baby bump?” he asked.

Ariella quirked a timid smile before she nodded, her fingers fidgeting with a few loose hair which hung around her face. “He was” she confirmed “To be more specific, he was talking about my baby bump” she added.

“Y...your baby bump?” Jacob spluttered.

Ariella’s small smile widened a fraction at the surprise in her father’s voice before she nodded her head. “I’m pregnant, papa” she breathed, her voice warm and excited.

It wasn’t the first time that she’d said it, with her and Gerard having shared the news with their other relatives, the phrase ‘I’m pregnant’ had fallen out of her mouth more than once, but still she smiled when she said it, still a little amazed by the idea that she was carrying a baby. There was no denying that it had been surprise, before they’d found out about her pregnancy, she doubted that she and Gerard had had a conversation about having a family, but they were thrilled by it, and she was hopeful that everyone around them would be too, even if it was soon. She was hopeful that the fact that she and Gerard were so excited would be enough for everyone else around them.

Jacob stared at her for a few seconds, allowing a long pause to hang in the air, before he breathed out an awed laugh. “You’re pregnant?” he asked.

Ariella nodded, grinning up at him.

“My baby, my only daughter....you’re going to have a baby of your own?” Jacob spluttered, a wide grin creeping across his features.

Ariella simply nodded again, something which made Jacob let out another breathy laugh before he stepped towards her, wrapping her in a tight hug. Ariella startled, caught off guard by the strength of the hug, before she wrapped her arms around him in return, hugging him back just as tight. Holding onto him for a few seconds, she grinned widely to herself before Jacob pulled away, brushing the hair off of her face. “I’m going to be an abuelo” he breathed excitedly.

Ariella giggled. “Yeah, you are” she enthused.

Jacob merely marveled at her for a few seconds, the proud fatherly smile not moving away from his face, before he leant forwards, pressing a kiss against her forehead. “I’m so proud of you” he mumbled softly.

Ariella frowned confusedly. “For getting pregnant?” she breathed, her voice half-joking.

Jacob shook his head. “I’m thrilled you’re pregnant” he mused “Being an abuelo...it’s something I’ve been looking forwards to for a while, but I am more proud of you for going after something you wanted. It wasn’t too long ago that we were sat downstairs after your then ex-boyfriend had visited in the middle of the night and you weren’t sure of trying to get him back, but now look at you. You’re so happy, Ella. You’re living together, you’re pregnant and I...I am proud of you for fighting for him, for fighting to make yourself happy even after making a mistake” he enthused softly.

He didn’t want to rake up the past, what had happened between Ariella and Gerard before was something which had very clearly been put to the back of their minds, but he wanted her to know how proud he was of her. It wasn’t like her, Ariella tended to be tentative and reserved, and trying to win Gerard back had gone against her usual patterns of behaviour, but he was thrilled that she had fought for him, even if it had been outside of her comfort zone. The end result had been more than worth it.

Ariella’s cheeks flushed a soft shade of pink before she shook her head, a shy smile on her lips. “He’s worth it” she murmured.

Jacob smiled. “I hope so” he mused “And I hope he keeps making you happy. He’s done a pretty wonderful job so far” he added.

Ariella merely smiled at him shyly, something which made Jacob’s smile widen before he stretched his hand out towards her. “Come on” he noted “Sabrina and the boys are downstairs having breakfast. We should go down and tell them the news” he enthused.

Ariella nodded and placed her hand in his, something which caused Jacob to squeeze it before he guided her out of the room, his smile stuck to his face. He was surprised, when Gerard and Ariella had gotten back together, he had assumed it would be a while before there was news of an engagement or a pregnancy, but he was thrilled for them, even if it had caught him by surprise. He was more than happy that things between his daughter and the defender appeared to be better than ever.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to mslou1, Jayme112234 and FootieJo for the comments :)