In the End

52: Last Time

Gently tracing circles into the side of her bump with her thumb, Ariella stretched her legs out ahead of her slightly, her eyes not shifting away from the book that she was reading. It wasn’t overly late, the last time that she had looked over at the clock, it had read a little after six in the evening, but with her having had a busy day at work, she had opted to head up to the bedroom, intent on taking a nap for a while. It wasn’t unfamiliar, with her pregnancy progressing quickly, she had grown used to spells of fatigue and discomfort, and she knew that it was best for her to take a nap, even if it was early. She had no doubt that getting a couple of hours of sleep would be good for her.

Allowing a soft yawn to tumble out of her mouth, she turned the page of her book before the sound of a light tap on the bedroom door reached her ears, causing her to lift her head slightly, her stare settling of Gerard who peeked around the door, a slightly sheepish smile on his face. “Is it OK for me to come in?” he asked, his voice more than a little uncertain.

Ariella quirked a soft smile before she nodded, beckoning him into the room. “Of course it is” she mused “I mean, it is your bedroom too. I don’t think I could keep you out if I tried” she added, trying to make a joke to alleviate some of the tension which existed between the two of them.

It was noticeable, after the previous night, both of them seemed to be on edge around one another, and Ariella wanted to try and alleviate the tension, wanting them both to relax around one another again. She had been upset, when he had arrived home the night before, a small part of her had been disappointed that they had missed their reservation, but she didn’t want to make a big deal of it. It was one night, in a year of dating, he had only been late once, and she didn’t want to fixate on it, even if she had been looking forwards to it. She had little doubt that there would be other opportunities for the two of them to go out together.

Gerard breathed out a slightly nervous laugh at her joke before he shuffled into the room, moving to settle down on the side of the bed as a momentary silence settled over the two of them. Ariella watched him quietly for a few seconds before she let out a quiet sigh, sitting up so that she was sat at his side, her hand gently finding his.

“Gerard” she murmured, causing him to turn his head slightly, looking up at her uncertainly “I’m not upset about last night. I mean, I was a little disappointed that we missed the reservation and maybe I didn’t handle it the right way, but I am really not upset about it. We’ve been together for a year, Geri, and in that time you’ve been late once. I think it is probably something I can get over” she joked, offering him a soft smile.

Gerard looked at her uncertainly. “You’re sure?” he asked “I mean, last time...” he trailed off, noting the slightly pained expression which had passed over Ariella’s face.

“Ella” he sighed gently.

Ariella shook her head, pushing a feeble smile onto her lips. “You’re not wrong to point it out” she mused “I mean, I did use it as an excuse to get out of our relationship and I don’t blame you for being worried. I would be worried if I were in your shoes” she added, pushing her spare hand nervously back through her dark hair.

Gerard watched her for a couple of seconds before he squeezed her hand, something which made Ariella shake her head gently before looked up at him, her blue eyes meeting his. “I’m sorry” she murmured “Last night....I should have handled it better. I was disappointed, I mean, I’d been looking forwards to our date all day and I was disappointed that you were late, but it wasn’t the end of the world and my reaction shouldn’t have suggested that it was. I shouldn’t have just gone to bed and I don’t blame you for thinking the worst. After the way I...I broke up with you...” she trailed off, a pained smile passing over her features.

Gerard squeezed her hand comfortingly. “I thought you’d start worrying” he mumbled after a few seconds of quiet.

Ariella, who’d been looking down at their hands, tilted her head. “What?” she posed.

“I thought you’d start worrying about us” Gerard clarified gently “I mean, as far as I am concerned, things are going amazingly. We’ve settled into living together quickly, we’re both so excited about baby coming along...things are amazing and I thought, maybe, you’d start to worry about us after last night and I wanted to tell you that it wasn’t necessary. I know that you’re a worrier, but we’re good, Ella, really, really good and I don’t want you to doubt it. I’m crazy about you, nena” he added, his thumb gently brushing over the back of her hand.

Ariella watched the movement of his thumb briefly before she turned, pressing a soft kiss against his cheek. “I know we are” she mumbled, resting her forehead against his temple.

Gerard closed his eyes at the feel of her head against his. “I really am sorry about last night” he mumbled.

“I know” Ariella replied “And I’m sorry too. I overreacted” she added, pressing another soft kiss against his cheek.

Gerard quirked a half smile at the feel of her lips against his cheek before he gently pulled out of their embrace, pushing himself back to his feet before he offered a hand out towards her. “I’ve got something to show you” he quipped.

Ariella lifted an eyebrow. “You do?” she posed.

Gerard nodded, his smile growing slightly. “Are you coming or not?” he posed, taking a couple of nonchalant steps towards their bedroom door.

Ariella rolled her eyes, giggling a little at his teasing, before she carefully pushed herself back up to her feet, moving to place her hand in his. Gerard’s smile widened a little more at the feel of her hand in his before he curved his fingers around hers, gently guiding her out of the bedroom and down the stairs.

Pulling her to a stop outside of their living room, he moved to stand behind her before he placed a hand over her eyes, something which made Ariella squeak in surprise. “What are you doing?” she quipped, giggling slightly.

“What does it look like?” Gerard replied playfully “I mean, it’s not much of a surprise if you just walk in there” he added.

“It’s the living room” Ariella retorted “I have seen it before” she added sarcastically.

Gerard huffed. “Just humour me” he complained teasingly.

Ariella sighed playfully. “Fine” she muttered.

Gerard laughed gently before he carefully steered her into the room, positioning her ahead of the coffee table before he gently pulled his hand back. Ariella blinked a couple of times, allowing her eyes to adjust to the light, before she looked down, a soft smile pulling the corner of her lips upwards. “What is this?” she breathed.

Gerard, who had wrapped his arms around her waist, shrugged. “It looks like takeout to me” he replied “From your favourite restaurant in the city, of course. There’s also a bunch of paint samples and catalogues full of baby stuff as well as a few sappy rom com films for you to make me suffer through if you get bored. I thought we could take it easy, eat some food, pick some stuff out for baby’s room and if we get around to it, fall asleep in front of a film” he enthused, dropping a soft kiss against the side of her neck.

Ariella stood quietly for a few moments, allowing his words to hang around them before she turned around to look up at him, her smile growing. “I love you” she breathed.

Gerard lifted an eyebrow. “Yeah?” he teased.

Ariella giggled before she nodded her head, her expression softening slightly. “I know I am difficult” she murmured “Of course I know it, but somehow you manage to put up with it and that amazes me. You’re so sure of us, I think you have been all along, and that amazes me, Geri. You amaze me” she breathed gently.

Gerard gently lifted his hand, tucking her dark hair off of her face before he dipped down, pressing a soft kiss against her forehead. “I don’t put up with you” he mumbled “I love you. It’s different. Yeah, you can be a pain, and yeah, you can work my last nerve, but it’s all a part of the reason that I am crazy about you, Ella. I love you so much” he added, gently trailing kisses down the side of her face before he reached her lips. Pausing for a second, he met her eyes and flashed her a soft smile before he leant into her, meeting her halfway in a kiss that caused Ariella to giggle softly, mumbling a soft ‘I love you too’ in return.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to mslou1, Jayme112234, FootieJo and Twisted;;Symphony for the comments :)