In the End

53: Of Course I Am

Pulling his training shirt over his head, Gerard stepped across the changing room, a small sigh of relief falling out of his mouth. It was the last one, with the team due to play their final ahead of the winter break the next day, it was the last training session that they had before the break, and Gerard was glad that it was over, more than looking forwards to getting home and checking on Ariella who was only a matter of days away from her due date. It had been a while, after they’d marked their first anniversary, a couple of months had passed, and with Ariella’s due date rapidly approaching, they were both eagerly awaiting the new arrival, neither of them quite able to believe that they were so close to their little boy’s arrival. Ariella’s pregnancy had passed quickly, for Gerard at least, it felt as though it had only been a matter of weeks since they’d found out that she was pregnant in the first place, but he was excited that they were so close, even if he was slightly apprehensive. His overwhelming emotion was one of anticipation.

Reaching the bench ahead of his locker, he pulled it open before he collected his phone, studying the lock screen briefly before he gently tossed it back onto the shelf, focusing on getting himself changed.

“No news?”

Gerard, who’d moved to pull a clean t-shirt over his head, smirked a little at the sound of Lionel’s question before he shook his head. “Not yet” he mused “But it could be any day now. Ella’s due date is at the end of next week” he added.

Lionel, who’d moved to get changed, nodded. “You two must be pretty excited” he noted, pulling his t-shirt over his head.

“I think so” Gerard replied as he leant down, pulling on his shoes “I mean, Ella’s pretty excited about the pregnancy being over and we’re both pretty excited to see the little one for the first time. It’s been a long few months” he joked with a small breathy laugh.

Lionel smiled at him, marveling the look of excitement which had spread across his face at the mention of Ariella and her pregnancy, before the sound of a phone vibrating reached his ears, something which caused both him and Gerard to look up, their stares landing on the defender’s phone which sat inside of his locker. Hesitating for a second, Gerard gingerly pushed himself back to his feet before he lifted the phone up into his hand, his blue eyes scanning the text from Estella which lit up the lock screen. “It’s time” he breathed quietly.

Lionel tilted his head. “What?” he asked.

“It’s time” Gerard repeated slightly louder “The text, it’s from Estella, Ella’s madre. She said that Ella’s waters have broken” he added, his voice slightly shaky.

Lionel blinked in surprise. “Her waters have broken?” he asked.

Gerard nodded slowly, awed by the sound of the words. “She...uh...she mentioned that she was slightly uncomfortable before I left this morning. That’s why I called Estella” he breathed “I...uh...I should...”

“You should let me give you a lift to the hospital” Lionel interrupted with a warm smile “I think it would be the safest option. You look like you’re about to throw up” he teased warmly.

Gerard stared at him wide eyed for a few seconds, something which made Lionel chuckle before he stepped up behind the defender, patting his shoulder warmly before he walked towards the door. Gerard hesitated for a second, his head still swimming with the words, before he took a couple of shaky steps forwards, trying to come to terms with the idea that their little boy was officially on his way.

~#~
“Do you need me to get you anything, baby?” Estella cooed as she plopped into the seat beside Ariella’s bed, her eyes settled dotingly on her daughter who rested her head against her pillow, recovering from yet another contraction. They were still a little way apart, despite Ariella’s waters having broken, the contractions were easily five minutes apart, and it was a slight relief to Estella, even if she did want her grandson to arrive sooner rather than later. She knew that the contractions still being a little way apart increased the chances of Gerard making it in time to see the little boy’s arrival. It had been sudden, despite her being slightly uncomfortable all morning, Ariella’s waters breaking had caught both women off guard, and she knew that it made Ariella apprehensive, even if she hadn’t said anything. She knew that she had been hoping that the defender would be around when she went into labour.

Ariella, who’d been sipping on a glass of water, shook her head. “I’m alright” she mumbled.

Estella offered her a dubious look, but didn’t push any further, allowing a moment of quiet to pass between them before Ariella shook her head. “You got a hold of him, didn’t you?” she asked “I mean, you spoke to him?” she pressed.

“I sent him a text” Estella replied “And he called me straight back. He told me to tell you that he’s on his way and not to worry. He’s not going to miss it, baby” she insisted as she gently leant across, moving to squeeze Ariella’s hand comfortingly.

Ariella offered her an uncertain look, something which merely caused Estella to squeeze her hand gently once more. “Stop worrying so much” she mused “It’s you and your baby. He’ll move heaven and earth to make sure that he’s here for it, Ella, and you know that. He’ll be here, baby” she added, her voice warm and encouraging.

Ariella offered her a faint smile before she nodded her head in agreement, allowing a silence to settle over them for a couple of minutes before she let out a small groan, feeling another contraction building. Shifting on the bed, she reached for Estella’s hand before she let out a yell, riding out the contraction before she reclined backwards, resting her head tiredly against the pillow as she squeezed her eyes closed.

“Hola”

Ariella startled a little before she blinked her eyes open, gazing up at Gerard who had appeared at the side of the bed, a soft smile spread across his features. “You’re here” she breathed softly, her hand gently moving to cup his cheek.

Gerard covered her hand with his before he gently turned his head, pressing a soft kiss against her palm. “Of course I am” he noted “You really thought that there was a chance I’d miss this?” he joked gently.

Ariella merely grinned up at him tearfully, something which caused him to dip down, pressing kisses to her forehead and cheeks.

Ariella’s cheeks flushed a soft shade of pink at the feel of his lips against her skin before she wrapped her arms around him, holding onto him tightly.

Gerard chuckled at the feel of her embrace before he returned it, mumbling that he was there.

~#~
Carefully wandering around the bed, Gerard smiled to himself, his blue eyes stuck on the tiny bundle that rested in his arms, awed by the fact that he had finally arrived. It had been a few hours, after he had arrived at the hospital, a little over six hours had passed before Ariella had delivered their healthy baby boy, but still the idea hadn’t fully settled in, even if Gerard had spent nearly an hour holding the newborn. He couldn’t quite believe that he was there. He was a beautiful baby, even though he was only a couple of hours old, Gerard could already see a lot of Ariella in the newborn, and he was amazed by how adorable the little boy was, even if part of him had been expecting it. The reality easily trumped his imagination.

Watching his step, he made it to the side of the bed before he carefully sat down, readjusting the little boy in his arms.

“Aren’t your arms getting tired?”

Gerard, who was marveling at the baby, smirked a little at the sound of Ariella’s voice before he turned, looking at her over his shoulder. “I thought you were taking a nap?” he quipped.

Ariella shrugged, grinning up at him sleepily. “I guess I am too excited to sleep” she quipped.

Gerard arched an eyebrow. “Yeah?” he teased “Why would that be?” he added.

Ariella rolled her eyes before she carefully shifted her foot, kicking his side gently. “You’re a dork” she mumbled.

Gerard huffed playfully before he dipped down, gently pressing a kiss against the top of the baby’s head. “Don’t listen to your mama” he murmured “She calls me a dork, but she loves it really. I’m her dork after all” he added, sparing a sideward glance towards Ariella who’d shuffled into the space beside him.

Ariella rolled her eyes once more but didn’t retort, instead opting to lean her head against his shoulder. “Is he Ok?” she murmured, her fingers gingerly brushing back through the dark hair which covered the baby’s head.

Gerard watched the movement of her fingers for a second before he nodded, pressing a soft kiss against the top of her head. “He’s perfect” he breathed.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo and Twisted;;Symphony for the comments :)