In the End

56: I Thought You Wouldn’t Like Him

Quietly stepping into the bedroom doorway, Gerard stopped himself from walking any further, his eyes landing on Ariella who sat up on their bed, babbling quietly to Toby who rested in her arms. He had seen it a lot, in the few days that had passed since the little boy had arrived, he had seen Ariella with the newborn countless times, but still it left him a little awestruck, still a little amazed by the idea that he and Ariella were parents. It was settling in, with him and Ariella having gone through a couple of sleepless nights, the reality of having a newborn was starting to dawn on them, but neither one of them would have changed it, even if they were overtired. Both of them were too smitten with Toby to mind missing out on a few hours’ sleep.

Pausing in the doorway, he watched Ariella quietly fuss over the baby for a few seconds before he cleared his throat gently, causing Ariella to lift her head, a gentle smile spreading across her face. “Sorry” she mumbled sheepishly “I was a little distracted. Did you need something?” she asked.

Gerard shook his head. “I just thought I’d let you know that I am here” he quipped “I mean, he’s nearly three days old now and I can’t quite remember the last time you acknowledged my existence” he added, his voice warm and teasing.

Ariella scoffed, rolling her eyes. “I am not going to apologise” she played along “I know you’re just as smitten with him as I am” she added knowingly.

Gerard, who’d moved to step a little closer to the bed, smiled down at her and Toby for a couple of seconds before he nodded his head, allowing a brief moment of silence to pass between the two of them before the dull buzz of his phone filled the air, causing him to let out a soft sigh.

“You Ok?” Ariella asked, looking up at him,

“I’m fine” Gerard murmured “It’s just a reminder I set for a meeting that I have to go and a reminder that I really don’t want to go to it” he added as he gently reached his hand out, smoothing back Toby’s dark hair.

Ariella watched his hand for a second before she shook her head, smiling up at him softly. “You know that you have to go, right?” she posed.

Gerard nodded. “I do” he replied “But I also know that, right now, I really don’t want to. The last few days, it’s just been the three of us, and I...” he trailed off, shaking his head slightly. He knew that it couldn’t last forever, after Toby’s birth, he knew that eventually things would have to get back to normal, but he wanted to put it off for as long as possible, even if it was inevitable. He would have loved to have had a few more days that were just about him, Ariella, and their newborn son.

“We’ll be here when you get home” Ariella mused softly “I know it’s not the same, but I hope it’s at least a little consolation” she added.

Gerard smiled at her reassurance before he leant over, pressing a soft kiss against the top of her head. “It’s pretty great consolation” he enthused quietly.

Ariella’s cheeks flushed a soft shade of pink before the sound of the doorbell filled the air, causing her to gently pull away. “That’s going to be Cesc” she murmured “He said that he’d be here early” she added.

Gerard nodded. “I’ll let him in on my way out” he mused “Are you going to come downstairs?” he asked.

“I probably should” Ariella replied as she gently moved to sit up.

Gerard took a pace towards her, gently lifting Toby up into his arms, before he padded out of the bedroom, making his way towards the front door before he pulled it open. “Cesc” he greeted.

Cesc, who’d been staring down at his phone, startled a little at the sound of the defender’s voice before he lifted his head up, the smirk he wore quickly fading into a soft smile at the sight of Toby who sat in Gerard’s arms. Gerard chuckled at the reaction before he stepped back, allowing the midfielder to step inside. “Ariella’s through there” he noted, gesturing towards the living room.

Cesc nodded his head slowly, but didn’t move, something which made Gerard chuckle before he gently nudged his shoulder, directing him through towards the living room. Cesc hesitated for a couple of seconds before he followed the direction, padding through into the living room where Ariella sat. Upon hearing footsteps, the brunette pushed herself up to her feet before she stepped towards the midfielder, greeting him with a sheepish smile. “Cesc” she breathed “Hola” she added.

Cesc stared at her for a couple of seconds before he stepped towards her, wrapping her in a tentative hug. “Congratulations, Ella” he breathed.

Ariella giggled and hugged him back for a couple of seconds before Gerard cleared his throat, causing her to pull back slightly. “I hate to interrupt” he quipped “But you need to take Toby. I have to get going” he added.

Ariella nodded her head before she took a pace towards him, gently lifting Toby into her arms before she pushed herself up onto her toes, pressing a couple of kisses against Gerard’s lips. “We’ll see you later” she mumbled as she stepped back.

Gerard offered her a slightly hesitant smile before he stepped out of the room, allowing Ariella to turn back towards Cesc who watched them, a small grin on his face. Ariella noticed the small smile on his face before she shook her head, a blush spreading across her cheeks. “What’s with the smile?” she mumbled, moving to take a seat on the sofa.

Cesc chuckled, sitting down beside her. “I’m your oldest friend” he quipped “Aren’t I allowed to be happy for you?” he added.

Ariella offered him a dubious look, something which caused Cesc to throw his hands up innocently. “Honestly” he insisted “I am not trying to be funny. The three of you together...you look really happy, Ella, and that makes me happy” he explained gently.

Ariella quirked a soft smile before Toby let out a soft snuffle, pulling both Ariella’s and Cesc’s attention down towards him. “He’s beautiful, Ella” Cesc mused sincerely.

Ariella merely smiled up at him, something which caused Cesc to shake his head, an amused laugh falling out of his mouth. “You know, I thought you’d hate him” he mused lightheartedly.

Ariella quirked an eyebrow. “Toby?” she asked teasingly.

“Gerard” Cesc corrected “When I introduced the two of you, I was certain that you’d hate him. He’s loud and arrogant, he always had been, and I thought you’d be annoyed by him. You’ve always been shy and, I hope you don’t me saying it, but a little uptight too, and I thought for sure that he’d work your last nerve. He still annoys me and I’ve known him far longer than you have” he added with a grin.

Ariella rolled her eyes, still smiling.

“I am thrilled for you, Ella” Cesc mused “I mean, I know how great a guy he is, and I know you’re a lucky woman to have him, but I guess I am just a little curious. I’ve met all of your exes and he’s not like one of them. What is it about him?” he posed. He was thrilled for them, having known both Ariella and Gerard for as long as he had, he was happy that they’d found happiness in one another, but it didn’t stop him being slightly curious. It had been a surprise to him, despite his introducing Ariella and Gerard, they’re actually getting together had caught him off guard, and he wanted to know why it had happened, even if it had thrilled him. He know why Ariella, who had always picked the same type of guy, had opted for Gerard who was a distance removed from it.

Ariella, who’d turned to look down towards Toby, mulled his question over for a few seconds before she shook her head, a soft hint of pink on her cheeks. “Firstly, don’t say ‘all’ of my exes. It makes it sound like there are hundreds of them. There are only four” she pointed out jovially.

Cesc rolled his eyes.

“And secondly, I don’t think I could put my finger on what it was about him that I liked” Ariella mused, gently tucking a few loose hairs behind her ear “I could list a bunch of qualities he has, all of which I am sure you know, but honestly? There’s just something about him, something I don’t think I can really put into words. He’s everything you said he is, he’s loud, and he’s arrogant, and you’re right, he is quite different to the few guys that I dated before him, but I think that that is a good thing. They were nice, but he’s...he’s more than nice. He is the first person I want to share any important news with, my first choice to spend an evening with...he’s my friend, Cesc, and the man I love, and I think that’s it” she explained with a grimace, noticing just how mushy and awkward it sounded.

Cesc smiled at her grimace before he shifted his hand, offering her hand a soft squeeze. “You really do love him, don’t you?” he asked.

Ariella nodded. “I do” she confirmed “And I am forever grateful to you. Whether you thought I’d hate him or not” she added, a smile on her lips.

Cesc laughed. “It worked out, didn’t it?” he quipped “I mean, you’re parents now to an adorable baby boy” he added, gesturing towards Toby.

Ariella followed his gesture, admiring Toby for a second, before she lifted her head. “He needs a godfather, you know” she mused.

Cesc arched his eyebrow. “Yeah?” he quipped “Who are you thinking of?” he joked.

“You, you idiot” Ariella retorted with a laugh “If you’re interested, of course” he added.

“I’d love to be Toby’s godfather” Cesc replied, his voice softening.

Ariella smiled up at him gently, something which caused Cesc to wrap an arm around her shoulders, offering her a soft hug. He was happy for them, despite their bumps, both Ariella and Gerard seemed happy in their relationship, and Cesc was happy for them, even more so that he had contributed to making it happen for them. It had been a chance, introducing them to one another had been a shot in the dark, but he was thrilled with the results. They were both happy, they were clearly crazy about one another, and Cesc was sure that they would be for a while to come.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to mslou1 and Twisted;;Symphony for the comments :)