In the End

64: Here We Are

Staring at the closed bedroom door which sat ahead of him, Gerard took in a steadying breath, trying to swallow the lump which had appeared in his throat. It had been a little while, after enlisting Estella’s help in planning a proposal, a few weeks had passed, and with the plans that they’d made in place, he knew that the night ahead of him was a big one, something which had him more than slightly on edge. He knew that they had talked about it, and he knew that Ariella had all but told him that if he should ask, she would say yes, but still he couldn’t get rid of the nerves in his stomach, even if he was optimistic about the answer. He doubted he would relax until the words were actually out of his mouth.

Sparing the bedroom door another glance, he stood still for a couple of seconds before he took a couple of paces forwards, gently knocking the door open before he stepped inside, his eyes settling on Ariella who sat up on the bed, leafing through a magazine which sat in her lap. Swallowing, he took a couple of seconds to compose himself before he cleared his throat, bringing her attention up towards him. “Are you busy?” he asked.

Ariella lifted an amused eyebrow. “What do you think?” she asked.

Gerard shook his head, breathing out a nervous laugh. “That was a stupid question” he mumbled “I just...Toby’s with your madre and I...I thought maybe we could go and do something. If you’re not too busy of course” he added, trying his hardest to sound more confident than he felt.

Ariella stared at him for a few seconds, more than a little caught off guard by the nervousness in his voice, before she nodded her head, offering him a small smile. It wasn’t the first time that he had appeared a little nervous around her, since they’d attended the anniversary party that had been thrown for Estella and Stefan, he had been a little more uncertain around her than usual, but Ariella hadn’t pushed it, knowing that if it was something she needed to be worried about, Gerard would tell her. They were better at it, after they’d gotten back together, they’d gotten good at telling one another what was on their minds, and whilst Ariella didn’t like the idea that there was something bothering him, she knew that, if he needed to talk to her about it, he would.

“I think I could free up some time” Ariella quipped with a smile as she moved to push herself up to her feet “Did you have something in particular in mind?” she asked.

Gerard shrugged innocently. “I might do” he mused impishly “If I were you, I’d wear something nice” he added, scanning the t-shirt and pair of leggings that she wore.

Ariella followed the line of his stare, scanning her clothes for a second before she lifted her head, offering him an amused smile. “You don’t think I look nice now?” she quipped, her voice warm and lighthearted.

Gerard shook his head amusedly. “You look beautiful. You always do” he played along “But maybe you ought to put something else on. I’ve got big plans” he enthused awkwardly, trying desperately not to give too much away.

Ariella flashed him a brief questioning look, not missing the slightly awkward tone of his voice, before she nodded her head, padding towards her wardrobe without another word. Gerard watched her for a few seconds before he let out a muted sigh, trying once more to stifle the butterflies which twitched in the pitch of his stomach. He knew that it was big deal, the idea that, by the end of the night, they could be engaged to be married was one which awed him a little, but whilst he was nervous, a part of him was also excited, a little amazed that they found themselves in a position where marriage was even on the cards.

~#~
“You can’t see, can you?” Gerard asked as he stepped ahead of Ariella, gently adjusting the tie of his which he had tied around her eyes. It had been a good night, after they’d gotten dressed, he and Ariella had headed to a favourite restaurant of hers for dinner before he’d suggested that they take a drive through city, and Gerard was pleased by how the evening had gone, even if he had appeared a little anxious from time to time. He was confident that Ariella had little to no idea about what awaited her now that they’d arrived at the beach where they’d had their second first date.

Ariella shook her head. “I can’t” she replied “But are you going to explain why I am wearing this?” she huffed, gesturing to her blindfold.

Gerard smirked at the slight hint of annoyance in her voice before he stepped to her side, gently lacing his fingers through hers. “It’s a surprise” he noted “And before you complain, just humour me, OK?” he added as she opened her mouth to speak again.

Ariella huffed playfully, something which made Gerard laugh gently before he tugged on her hand, leading her a few paces down onto the beach. Squeezing her hand softly, he pulled her to a stop before he slipped his hand out of hers. “Wait here for me, Ok?” he asked gently, trying, and failing, to keep the slight shake out of his voice.

Ariella frowned, not missing the tone of his voice, but nodded nevertheless, allowing him to take a few strides forwards, his expression brightening at the sight of the small group who had gathered ahead of him, expectant and excited smiles on their faces. “You guys ready?” he asked quietly, pushing a nervous hand back through his hair.

“Are you?” Cesc countered with a smirk “You look like you’re about to vomit” he added.

Gerard rolled his eyes, opting to ignore the midfielder’s comment, before he turned to the others, offering them a nervy smile. “We’re good to go?” he breathed.

Estella, who stood beside the defender with Toby in her arms, shook her head. “One more thing” she quipped before she stretched a hand forwards, holding out a small box towards him as a reassuring smile spread across her lips.

Gerard blinked a couple of times, staring down at the box for a few long seconds, before he nodded, moving to take it into his hand. Flipping it over in his hand a couple of times, he let out a shaky sigh before he lifted his head, flashing the best smile he could muster before he padded back up the beach, his hand gently taking a hold of Ariella’s.

“Are you alright?” Ariella asked, squeezing his hand gently “I mean, you’ve been pretty weird tonight. Is there something up?” she added.

Gerard, who’d led her a couple of steps forwards, shook his head. “I know I’ve been weird” he noted “But in a couple of seconds, you’ll see why” he added, guiding her into a specific spot. Taking in a shaky breath, he offered a nod towards the group of friends and family which stood ahead of him before he stepped behind Ariella, gently loosening the tie from around her eyes before he took a pace backwards.

Ariella blinked a couple of times, allowing her eyes to adjust to the soft candle light which illuminated the area around them, before she focused her stare forwards, her eyes widening slightly as she surveyed the cardboard signs which were held up by her friends and parents which spelled out the phrase ‘Will You Marry Me?’, ending with her mother who held Toby in her arms, a little question mark on the sweater he wore. Blinking, she ran her eyes over the words a few times before she wheeled around to look at Gerard, her words failing her as she found him knelt on one knee behind her, a hopeful smile on his face.

“It makes more sense now, right?” Gerard joked feebly.

Ariella merely stared down at him, her hand clasped over her mouth.

Gerard swallowed, a little perturbed by her silence, before he quirked a nervy smile, reaching for her other hand which hung limply at her side. “I...uh...I had figured out what I wanted to say” he murmured as he slipped his fingers through hers “I spent weeks trying to craft the right words, ask your mother, she’ll tell you how hard I worked on trying to find the right thing to say, but right now? I can’t remember any of it so I am just going to have to wing it. Is that Ok?” he asked as he looked up at her, not missing the tears which had started to cloud her blue eyes.

Ariella merely nodded her head slowly, unable to force even the slightest noise out of her mouth.

Gerard squeezed her hand, looking for a little comfort, before he nodded to himself, allowing another small grin to pull at his lips. “I really thought that we’d fucked this up” he breathed “When you broke up with me, I really did think that I’d lost probably the most amazing thing that had ever happened to me and it devastated me. I’d spent two years getting to know you, falling in love with you, and it was gone in the blink of an eye and I really thought that that would be that, but...somehow, here we are, with me on one knee and you looking like you’re about to cry and I know that this is how it is supposed to be. I could be really cliché and insist that I knew that we’d end up here from the moment we met, but I’d be lying and I think you’d know it. I didn’t know then, I didn’t know how important a friend you’d become to me, how wonderful a girlfriend you’d become, but the more time I spend with you, the more sure I am that I want you to be a permanent part of my future. You challenge me, you frustrate me, but you also make me laugh and make me feel loved and happy, and I don’t want to lose that feeling, not now” he added shakily.

Ariella let out a small sniffle, but didn’t say anything, causing Gerard to squeeze her hand softly before he took in another steadying breath. “Ariella” he murmured “Mi amor, will you marry me?” he asked quietly, showing off the ring box which he clutched in his other hand.

Ariella stood motionless for a few long seconds, allowing his proposal to hang in the air around them, before she slowly tipped her head forwards, nodding it slightly.

Gerard’s expression softened. “Is...Is that a yes?” he stumbled out.

Ariella merely nodded her head, a tearful smile spreading across her features.

Gerard stared up at her in awe. “Yes?” he spluttered.

“Yes” Ariella squeaked “Yes!” she exclaimed, tears flowing freely down her cheeks.

Gerard stayed still for a second longer before he hurried back to his feet, wrapping her in a tight hug. Ariella giggled at the strength it, hugging him back just as tightly, before she pulled back, allowing Gerard to gently slip the ring onto her finger. Both of them admired the sight of it briefly before they lifted their stares, smiling goofily at one another as the cheers and whistles of their friends and families filled the air around them.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to mslou1 and FootieJo for the comments :)