In the End

73: I Know How Happy She Makes Him

Nimbly guiding her fingers back through Gerard’s dark hair, Ariella quirked a soft smile to herself, her ears filled with the soft and even sounds of his breathing. It was a surprise, when she had fallen asleep the night previous, the defender had been nowhere to be seen, and whilst his appearance had surprised her, she couldn’t deny that she was pleased to see him face to face. She’d missed him in the days that he had been away with Barcelona. Smiling sleepily to herself, she marveled at the way his nose twitched in his sleep before she pulled her hand back, moving to shuffle out of the bed as quietly as she could. Gently tossing the duvet back, she swung her feet down to the floor before she pushed herself up, stretching her back out slightly.

“Ella?”

Ariella visibly jumped at the sound of Gerard’s voice before she turned around, offering him a small smile in greeting. “You weren’t here when I feel asleep last night” she pointed out “What time did you get in?” she asked as she padded across the room, retrieving a clean set of underwear from her drawer.

Gerard, who’d moved to prop himself up against the headboard, shrugged. “I think it was a little after one” he mused “I checked in on Toby before I came in here and I sort of just crashed. I didn’t wake you up in the night, did I?” he asked concernedly.

Ariella, who’d started to look through her wardrobe for something to wear, shook her head. “I didn’t hear you come in” she mused “Though, I was a little surprised to find you here when I woke up. I thought you weren’t supposed to get back until this afternoon” she added, sparing him a brief glance over her shoulder.

Gerard shrugged. “The coaching staff changed our flight” he noted “But I thought you’d be glad to see me” he added, an impish smile on his face.

“What makes you think that I am not?” Ariella played along, sitting down on the edge of the bed beside him.

“You seem to be in a hurry to get dressed” Gerard pointed out, gesturing to the pile of clothes she had settled into her lap “Have I disrupted your plans, Ella?” he added.

Ariella followed his gesture, staring down at the clothes in her lap for a second, before she shook her head, a soft hint of pink spreading across her cheeks. “You’ve not disrupted anything” she noted “I just...I have plans this morning. I was going to drop Toby off with your papa and then I was going to go and look at wedding dresses with both of our mothers and Anto and Dani, but I can put that off if you’d rather we spent the morning here with you” she babbled, her voice slightly timid.

Gerard stared at her for a second, trying to process all of the words that she had spluttered out, before he tilted his head, a faint smile pulling at the corner of his mouth. “You invited my madre?” he breathed.

Ariella nodded without hesitation, but didn’t quite meet his stare. “I know she’s not exactly my biggest fan” she noted “But I want to involve her too. It’s not just my wedding day, it’s yours too and it’s hopefully a pretty big deal for your family. I want her to be there, so I called her and asked, and she said she’d come. Is that alright?” she asked, peeking up at him uncertainly.

It had been a slightly uncomfortable phone call, with Montserrat still not entirely sure that she could trust Ariella with Gerard, the conversation that they’d had had been a little forced and awkward, but Ariella had wanted to make it, wanting Gerard’s family to feel as involved in the planning of their wedding as hers did. She knew that they were still slightly wary, on the occasions that she and Gerard had spent time with his family, she had got the distinct impression that they still were unsure of her, and whilst she didn’t blame them for feeling that way, she wanted to make the effort with them, wanting to make it clear to them that she had very little intention of going anywhere any time soon.

“Alright?” Gerard scoffed “Ella, that’s wonderful” he enthused.

Ariella blushed softly. “You think so?” she asked.

Gerard nodded before he gently shifted his hand, settling it atop hers which fiddled with the clothes in her lap “I know that my mother’s not exactly warmed up to you” he mused “And I know it’s probably going to be a little awkward, but it means a lot to me that you asked her. I want you two to spend time together, I want you to get on better, and I think that this is a good step. I am sure it will mean a lot to her too that you asked her to help out with something as important as picking out a wedding dress” he mumbled as he leant towards her slightly, scattering a few tender kisses against the side of her neck and face.

He knew that there was still a long way to go, despite him and Ariella having been together for almost two years, he knew that his parents, in particular, his mother, were still a little wary of him getting hurt by her again, but the idea that Ariella had asked for his mother’s help in her search for a wedding dress thrilled him. It was only a small step, but it was a step, and Gerard was pleased that Ariella had made it.

Ariella smiled softly at the feel of his lips against her skin before she lifted her head slightly, pressing their lips together briefly before she moved to stand up. “You don’t mind me going?” she posed.

Gerard shook his head. “I’ll stay here with Toby so that you don’t have to bother my papa” he mused.

Ariella offered him a dubious look, asking if he was sure, before she leant into him, stealing another couple of quick kisses before she made her way towards the bathroom.

~#~
“So” Estella mused as she plopped down into a chair, her hand happily holding onto the complimentary glass of champagne that she had been plied with “Have you actually given any thought to the sort of dress you want to go with?” she posed, sparing a glance towards Ariella who sat a little away from her, flicking through a portfolio that her boss had plied her with. It had been a relatively relaxed morning, even despite the slight tension that existed between Ariella and her future mother-in-law, the group of women had spent a couple of hours giddily discussing wedding plans, and Estella had to admit that she was excited, even if she had tried to keep her composure in front of Ariella who seemed slightly nervous. She still hadn’t quite wrapped her head around the idea that they were making plans for her daughter’s wedding.

Ariella, who’d been studying a couple of her previous sketches, lifted her head at the sound of her mother’s voice before she nodded, a timid smile on her face. “I’ve given it some thought” she mused “We’re getting married in December, so I am thinking a long gown with sleeves. I quite like lace so I want to incorporate that and I am thinking that I’d like it to be a softer colour rather than a bright white” she explained.

“I think I might have a couple that match that description” Cara, Ariella’s boss, mused “Why don’t you come with me, Ella, and we can get you changed into one” she explained, offering her hand back towards the brunette.

Ariella blushed before she nodded her head, following her boss back towards the changing rooms.

“She’s going to make such a beautiful bride” Estella gushed once Ariella was out earshot “I mean, I might be biased, but...” she trailed off giddily.

Montserrat smiled gently. “She is very beautiful” she agreed “You and her father must be very proud” she added, her voice kind and polite.

Estella smiled back her brightly. “We are” she mused “And you and your husband must be very proud of your son. Gerard is...he’s a wonderful young man and I know that Ella is very aware of it. She loves him, Monserrat” she added, her voice softening slightly.

She didn’t want to prod the issue, with the way things ended the first time around between Ariella and Gerard, she knew that she couldn’t offer much of a defence for her daughter, but she wanted the other woman to know that Ariella knew how lucky she was to have Gerard. He was by far and away the best thing that had had happened to her and Estella wanted Montserrat to know that Ariella knew it.

Montserrat hesitated for a second, mulling over Estella’s words, before she nodded her head, offering the other woman another pleasant smile. “I know she does” she mused “And I know how he feels about her. I can’t deny that I am wary, but I know how happy she makes him, Estella, and I am not going to intrude on that. He loves her, and Toby, so much” she fussed warmly.

Estella opened her mouth to fuss over their grandson, but stopped herself, her eyes going wide as they settled on Ariella who’d stepped back into the room, a shy smile and a familiar blush spread over her face. “Ariella” the older woman managed to get out.

Ariella gently adjusted the skirt of the dress she wore, staring down at herself for a few seconds, before she lifted her, glancing uncertainly at the group of women who sat around her. “T...this is the sort of thing I was talking about” she babbled “I mean, when I get the chance to sketch, I will probably reduce the length of the train slightly and add a little more lace around my chest and shoulders...”

“You look so beautiful” Estella cut in, choking on her words slightly.

Ariella blinked a couple of times, surprised by the compliment, before she shook her head, chewing on her lip briefly. “Really?” she spluttered.

“Gorgeous” Antonella chirped “I mean, you normally are but...wow” she gushed.

Ariella shifted her feet timidly, sparing a slightly uncertain glance towards Montserrat who was quick to stand up, her eyes appraising the brunette for a few seconds before she shook her head, a warm smile spreading across her face. “You’ll take his breath away, Ariella” she complimented kindly.

Ariella merely grinned giddily at the compliment, still a little in awe of the idea that she was stood in a wedding dress.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234, FootieJo and mslou1 for the comments :)