Status: working on it

Skin + Bones

steps

Spark - Amber Run

She could feel it every time her feet hit the ground, the vibration in her thigh, the jiggle of her stomach and breasts. It was something she was used to - had grown up being used to and had almost begun to not notice it, becoming numb to the feeling of her body's own movements. However, when she could feel the burning gaze of others, the awareness was magnified. It felt as though every little movement that caused her body to bounce was scrutinized, an atmosphere of disgust radiating around her.

Of course, it was only her imagination.

No one stared, no one judged, no one even took notice of her. She blended in well with others, although her mind screamed at her that she stood out like a big fat sore thumb in a crowd of thin fingers. Oh, how the mind could be a cruel thing.

The fact that a task as simple as picking her younger sister up from school could become such an unpleasant experience drove her insane. She knew she shouldn't be worrying about it, that her self hatred and fears needed to be pushed to the back of her mind if she were to function normally in life. Despite the awareness of her problem, it did not make it any easier to stop.

Everyday, she would arrive to the elementary school early, waiting for the bell to ring and the children to race out, excitedly meeting their parents, siblings or friends and heading home. However, she would wait further away from the doors, not wanting to go near the crowds. Typically, after most of the people had cleared out, she'd approached the small fenced in area for kindergarteners, gather her sister and begin the short walk home. Her younger sister, Amie, came skipping out of the crowd just then, a smile on her chubby face.The brilliant excitement on her face a contrast to the dull grey sky and melancholy dirt and sand left from the melting snow.

"Sissy!" The little girl called out happily, as she grabbed her sisters hand, pulling her to a standing position. They turned around, ready to walk home when someone called out.

"Hey!"

It was a male voice. Her head whipped around, wondering if it was directed towards her. There was a boy who appeared about her age, holding hands with another little boy who looked to be the same age as her sister.

"You dropped this," He smiled a little bit, showing off white teeth behind full lips. In his hands was Amie's teddy bear, slightly wet from having fallen in the melting snow.

Amie gasped, rushing towards the two boys, holding out her hands for her bear. The older of the two smiled sweetly, his eyes turning into small crescent moons above his round cheeks, as Amie hugged her bear. His eyes shot up from Amie, landing on her. Her cheeks felt like they were on fire. She had expected his smile to drop, to fade away, or to see his eyes roam over her body as a lip curled in disgust. He did none of those things. Instead, he stood, guiding Amie back towards her sister.

He said something to her, her eyes focused on his mouth, watching it move, but she heard nothing of what he had said. After a moment, he looked expectantly at her.

"I'm sorry, pardon?" She coughed out, licking her suddenly dry lips.

"I said I noticed your uniform," He pointed towards the crest on her shirt, "We go to the same school,"

"Oh," Her eyes fell to his shirt, the same crest slightly peeking out under the fabric of his jacket.

"I've never seen you there before, what grade are you in?" He asked, a small smile tugging at his lips.

Her eyes flickered towards her sister, who was talking and giggling with the younger boy. They obviously knew each other.

"Um," Her embarrassment creeped up, the heat once again on her cheeks.

His eyebrows were raised, waiting an answer.

"Uh, I'm not sure really," She spoke quietly.

"How do you not know?" He laughed, seemingly confused.

"I'm behind," She said, diverting her gaze once again.

"Oh, okay," He nodded, a kindness in his dark brown eyes. She felt judged, like he had pity for her.

"Amie, we have to go," She said quickly, snatching her sisters small hand.

"Wait, what's your name?" He asked, the words rushing out of his mouth.

"Cecilia," She mumbled, "Thanks for the bear,"

She left before he could say another word, pulling her sister along as her small legs struggled to keep up. He watched her leave, confused. Her cheeks had been pink the whole time he had spoken to her, not unaware of the effect he was having on her. He had never met a girl so shy around him before.

She was strange and he was intrigued.

"Cecilia," He whispered the name to himself, lips tugging upwards at the corners.
♠ ♠ ♠
Image

Hi!!!

I haven't written in forever

so this story is kinda rlly personal to me and I hope that someone else can also relate, and take a positive message away from this.

I mostly wanted to write it bc I see so many, not just fan fictions, but just stories in general in which the lead female is 'perfect' and I personally get kinda bored reading them. I wanted to make something interesting and different but also something relatable and helpful. so I hope this lives up to that lol

hope u enjoy ♥

-becca