Status: Story Complete!

The Abduction of Regan Emmett

A Taste For Blood

They were so close they could taste it. The atmosphere began feeling a bit more sinister, like they had a feeling something wasn’t right, they could almost smell blood in the air, whatever metallic smell it was, was more than unpleasant. James held his hand to his gun holster very tightly, feeling more uneasy the more they walked. The sun had officially fallen, the moon was showing but it wasn’t exactly pitch black yet either, the sun was down but you could see it yet in the horizon, becoming dimer and dimer. Soon they would have no natural light and would have to convert to using their flashlights, which was another challenge they had to face. They knew using up too much light would result in the batteries dying too quickly, and then there would be a bigger issue.

“Should we camp out ‘til mornin’?” Giuseppe asked, stopping and placing his hands on his hips. Everyone looked at him like he had ten eyes.
“You’re fuckin’ balls to the wall.” Tom shouted. James chuckled, he hadn’t heard that one before.

“Whatever that meant, I agree. We have a killer on the loose, and you want us to camp out in the woods he lives in? No.” James continued walking ahead of everyone, but he could tell people were tired, but there was no time to stop, any moment something could go wrong, Regan wasn’t safe, regardless of whether Ogre would kill her or not, James didn’t want to take the chance of her getting hurt and him not being able to get there in time to stop it.

“Our men are exhausted, we’ve been walking for hours, James.” Giuseppe tried catching up with him to reason with him on why they needed a break. But James was shocked he even wanted to break to begin with.

“You wanna break? Fine, if you people want to take a fucking break go for it! But I’m NOT.” James flicked his wrist and continued on, leaving everyone to hesitate on whether or not to stop or follow him. But no one wanted James to go off by himself, that was a death wish. Tom chased after him as Giuseppe watched, he knew James was frustrated and wanted to prove to everyone he could save someone, he didn’t even know if James was doing this because he cared about Regan at this point, to Giuseppe, James only saw this as a game. A dangerous one at that, but he decided to keep going, no point in stopping when the leader if off putting his life at risk.
“Alright, well sooner or later we have to at least take a breather, but when you’re ready, alright?” Giuseppe patted James’ back.
“I’m not trying to be a dick, I just want to find her is all, I really wanna find her.”
“Why do you wanna find my girl so bad, officer?” Tom butted in, his arms were crossed from the cold wind blowing on him, his eyes narrowed, looking at James curiously.
“Well sir, he was supposed to go on a date with her but she never showed, so at that moment he knew something was wrong, no one blows this guy off.” Giuseppe answered for James, laughing out loud, making James clench his eyes shut in embarrassment.
“Oh really now?” Tom batted his eyelashes, making James’ cheeks turn red.
“I’d rather not get into it. It’s nothing really.”
“Well obviously it’s something, you wanna be the guy who saves the damsel in distress, and in this case, it’s my daughter.” Tom smiled, he knew he couldn’t give James a hard time, he was doing a great thing for someone, even if he barely knew much about her, he still cared, he liked her, he wanted her to know he wasn’t going down without a fight.
_._

An hour had passed since the sun officially had went down, and the flashlights came out. Things were starting to become more eerie. Giuseppe had gone up ahead to scout with the snipers, while James and the rest of the flock headed north towards a huge hill that you could see everything from. To James that was a great sign, maybe they’d see something worth finding from the hill, or maybe they were putting themselves on notice, since the hill was so large and recognizable. He took a pair of binoculars from his police mates bag and started looking, hoping he could see something from the darkness, but nothing was really showing up, curse the damn nighttime.

“Boss!” James heard Giuseppe yelling from up ahead, it sounded like something was wrong, like something had caught his attention, he scurried down the hill and ran to Giuseppe as fast as he could, forgetting his agenda on the hill.
“What is it, Andrews?”
“Look, boss. Look.” Giuseppe pointed to an old oak tree, it was old and looked like it was ready to collapse at any moment. Giuseppe pointed his flashlight on it when James’ mouth dropped to the ground.

There once was a girl named Regan
Who sat in a room so damp and old
She died in there and no one could find her
Her bones all shriveled up and cold


The poem was written in blood, so clearly written.
“That blood looks fresh, it’s still dripping, he was here just recently, he knows we’re here. He can probably see us, keep a look out and get to that fucking cabin!” James and the rest of the crew ran as fast as they could up ahead, they knew they were close, but they knew they were being watched. Ogre was a mad man, he could see everything, he had eyes like a hawk. He found them before they could find him, but that only meant that they were so close. So very close. James could feel his adrenaline pumping and was finally going to make something of himself, he was going to kill Ogre. There was no turning back, there was no mercy on his soul, there was only Ogre bleeding on the ground, begging for his life, and James shoving a knife right through his head. That was satisfying, that was James’ victory.
They would get there come morning, and everything was about to change, and just as James thought things were going to get easier, Ogre dropped a major bombshell on them, this was a war now, a battle of survival, this was going to be a blood bath, and boy was everyone prepared. It was time to end this crazy lunatic once a for all, for Regan.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hi :)