Status: Story Complete!

The Abduction of Regan Emmett

The Only Way Out

The woods almost felt creepier in the day time, I’ve never actually seen these woods, last time I went through here I was knocked out cold from whatever Ogre drugged me with. Everyone was right, it was big, bigger than what I was expecting. But I felt safe, finally. My dad was here, James and Giuseppe, they did exactly what they planned to do, rescue me. Of course, Ogre wasn’t dead and he would be looking for us at any moment, but knowing I had people here to protect me, made me feel warm inside.
“Regan…” James walked over to me, and I could see in his eyes he was still partially worried that we wouldn’t make it out, he knew Ogre was smart, as pathetic as he looked, his brain was 10 times faster than his actions, it was dangerous territory, Ogre’s mind.
“I’m okay, really. I don’t know exactly how to thank you, but just know I owe you big time, all this effort you put into finding me, I don’t know what I would have done had you guys not came.”
“Why would I just leave you there to die? I knew from the moment we met there was something about you that just drew me in. You’re quite the mystery, Regan. But I like that about you.” My heart fluttered hearing James say that, because what was wrong with being a mystery? I was always the type of person to keep people guessing things about me, because what was the fun of knowing everything about me all at once?
Our walking wasn’t slow in the slightest, all I wanted to do was take a break, after walking for what seemed like hours, but I knew we actually had only been walking for max 20 minutes, but as big as this place was, we’d be walking for 5 more hours. I looked behind me to see John scoping out the perimeter, looking out for Ogre in case he wanted to jump out and scare us. John had about four cops beside him for when we got out of the woods, they could arrest him, but I was going to do my best to try to get him to be let go, he might have been there when it all happened, but I knew John was a good person, and even when we met, that sarcastic tone in his voice, those deep eyes staring into my soul, I knew he wasn’t bad, I knew he was tricked by Ogre into being this monster that he and I knew he wasn’t. I saw him look over at me, this genuine smile on his face, I could tell he felt free at last, it made me happy knowing that not only was I saved, but in a big way, so was he. Saved from Ogre’s bullshit, saved from all the things he put John through, he had been around Ogre much longer than I have, I couldn’t imagine the things he saw and had to be put through just to survive.
Ring Ring Ring
“It’s Ahniah.” James spoke in a low voice, he sighed and answered it before immediately handing me the phone, I was so eager to let her know I was okay I didn’t even let her talk.
“Ahniah, it’s me. I’m okay, they got me out!” I almost sobbed, still comprehending that I made it out of there alive.
“I’m so happy to hear that, I knew you’d make it out of there, and I always had faith in Giuseppe and James to help you, I know how much you mean to James, even if you only met for a brief time, he has a thing for scoping out amazing people.” I could hear Ahniah’s chuckles, and I could feel her smiling through the phone, she was a great friend with a big heart, that’s another thing that made this journey back home so important, so I could hug Ahniah and start over with a new life and amazing people to share it with.
We came to a halt, everyone had slowed down and then eventually just stopped all together. John thought he heard rustling in the bushes and wanted to investigate, but everyone else was still a little edgy around John, like he still had an objective, maybe wanting to go back to help Ogre, but I knew better. John was the good guy, he hit Ogre in the back of the head with a rifle for fuck sake.
“I don’t know about that one, he might be tricking us.” I could hear Giuseppe whispering to James, I tried not to interfere.
“Yeah but Regan seems to trust him, so I say we just keep an eye on him until we know for sure what his motives are.”
“Motives?” I couldn’t help it, I had to jump in. “What exactly do you think he’s gonna do, kill us all? He’s unarmed.”
“Doesn’t mean he and Ogre didn’t plan this, I mean he acted like he was on his side than magically decided to knock him out cold to join us. Maybe this was their plot. Ogre may need John to be as close to you as possible to lure him to us.”
“Stop!” I shouted out, tired of all this craziness. “For once, things like this can happen. It doesn’t always have to happen in books or movies, sometimes the bad guys can turn good, have some faith in him.”
“Regan, why are you sticking up for this guy? Remember, he is 50% of why you were put in this situation.” James stopped me, and put his hand on my shoulder. I knew he was only trying to help but something in me didn’t want to hear it. “It’s almost as if you actually have feelings for this guy.”
“And if I do?” I folded my arms, my eyes spoke of anger but I tried understanding where James was coming from, before I got kidnapped, we were supposed to go on a date, but things changed, feelings changed, and James needed to know that.
“Then that would be bad, because I’m still going to arrest him, Regan. At least until I get some honest answers about why he did what he did, whether he started changing sides or not.”
“So did you just rescue me because you thought we would be together, was this your pants talking, or was this actually your heart, ‘cos honestly who fuckin’ knows?” I couldn’t believe I had said that, but part of me was genuinely curious. It was like he was angry about me not liking him anymore, when I had just been kidnapped, and rescued, who would have thought this conversation would escalate.
Giuseppe looked at James and at me, his jaw dropped to the floor, maybe I over spoke. But can’t take it back now.
“Regan, don’t say that!” I heard my dad yell out from ahead of me, turning around to face me, inches away from my face, what a familiar sight, my dad being pissed off at me for something I said, maybe nothing had changed.
“No, Tom I get it. Regan, this isn’t about me liking you, this is about me doing my god damn job.” I could tell James was trying to keep his composure, but I also knew he wasn’t fooling anyone, he wasn’t fooling himself, that’s for damn sure.
I continued walking, trying not to pay any more attention to John, or anyone else giving me awkward glares, and started speaking again, not worried about what I might say next, because this was who I was now, after all I had been through.
“I lived my entire life looking at the bad, and not seeing the good. I was always jealous of my sister, she had everything that I didn’t. Maybe ‘cos I didn’t work hard enough, which obviously was true, but I still made my way in life without being a bum on the streets. I picked fights with my parents constantly, that was bad. But for once, I wanna see the good in people, in myself. I can’t keep going on knowing that someone who helped me is gonna spend the rest of their lives in jail when he can change himself too.”
James wanted to speak, but something held him back, maybe it was the anger from me wanting to let him go free instead of locking him up, but he also knew I wouldn’t take locking him up as an answer if he wanted anything more to do with me. I know, I may sound horrible when I say those words, but I wanted a fresh start, I wanted to see good, not red all the time.
Soon after our intense conversation, everyone grew quiet, the only sounds were those of our feet stepping over branches and the cracking of leaves that fell off the dead trees. James could tell we were getting closer to finding an exit, he mentioned seeing blood stains on some of the trees on his way to find me, I could see what he meant. It was terrifying.
“I wonder if that’s my blood, when he dragged me in here, I know I must’ve been bleeding, he hit me on the head at one point. Could be mine, could be his own…”
“It being his own sounds more up his alley, he is a fuckin’ nut.” Giuseppe said, rolling his eyes, I couldn’t help but laugh.

CRACKLE

Everyone jumped out of their skin. That didn’t sound like the wind brushing up against the trees, no. It sounded like someone was hiding, like someone was watching us. It took a lot for me to be scared at this point, but Ogre horrified me. His face was sunk in, he aged horribly. He already looked like he was in his 50s, but the way he was living out here, who really knew. He always wore black clothes, black boots, and he always wore this faded out black cap that he never took off, no matter what. But what caught me was his makeup, he wore eyeliner, and black nail polish. He was your typical goth guy, but a try hard at best.
“Look, if he tries to hurt Regan, or anyone, I’ll deal with it. Please, I have unfinished business with Ogre, I won’t let him hurt anyone. If anything, he can hurt me before I let him touch her.” I heard John whispering to Giuseppe, who then looked to James for confirmation. James didn’t know what to say, instead he looked over at me like he was waiting for me to say something. I also didn’t know what to say. I didn’t want John putting himself in anymore danger, but maybe this is what Ogre wanted, we had to come up with a plan to counter back his attacks.
“Us being scared is exactly what he wants. He’s expecting us to fight back, he’s expecting you all to guard me, so when he arrives, you’re vulnerable from protecting me you won’t be able to see him charging after someone. We need to work together and keep moving, or we’ll never make it out of here.” I saw James smiling at me after I said that, he looked proud, but I knew well enough from the weeks of being in his trap that Ogre is a smart man, but not as smart as me.
I walked up ahead of everyone, just a little, I needed everyone behind me, but ahead of me was John, holding a pocketknife in his hand, clenching it. I looked around to see if Ogre had left any clues, but I felt hopeless, would Ogre leave anything in the day time, or is he strictly a night time person? Was he himself vulnerable? It would be tricky to hide during the day, especially when he sticks out the way he does, it’s hard to miss him. I looked down at the ground, little blood spots caught my eye here and there, but it was nothing out of the ordinary, until myself and everyone behind me heard John calling out from farther up ahead.
“Hey! Get back here!”
We all ran to him, as fast as we could, he had found Ogre, and we could hear John rushing after someone, which made it harder for us to catch up to him.
“Regan stay back don’t go too far ahead of us!” I heard my dad yelling out from behind me, but my adrenaline was kicking in like crazy, I wanted to bash the head in of the man who fucked my life up, who hurt me, abused me, raped me, stared into my soul like he was about to eat it. I wanted it to end, I wanted this nightmare to be over, this ended now.
I stopped and let everyone catch up to me, the police officers and my father had to stop a take breath from running so fast, but I felt I could run five more miles, we had lost John, and who knew if he had gotten a hold of Ogre or not, or maybe Ogre got a hold of him first. All I knew was that my blood was boiling, and I had no idea what was about to happen next. I closed my eyes and put my hands on my hips, trying to think of a way to end this and make it out of the woods alive, but nothing came to mind. James tried comforting me, along with Giuseppe, while the other police officers continued up ahead in search of Ogre and John.
“Would you charge John for murder if he killed Ogre?” I asked James, as he put his arm around my waist, trying to calm me down, it felt good to be comforted by someone for the moment.
“I don’t know; I mean at this point if anyone killed Ogre it would be because of self-defense. He’s out here trying to kill you, us.” I nodded at that, but then again, John was already in a heaping pile of shit, I still needed a way to get through to James to let him go free. I had plans…
It was me, Giuseppe, James, and my father. We stood in a circle waiting for the other policemen to come back with either John, or with bad news. Something to me didn’t feel right though, I wondered whether the policemen were even coming back, I wondered if Ogre got ahold of them. He had skills of killing multiple men at once, so John told me.
“We stay put until they return, we don’t wanna risk getting caught in something we can’t get out of, trust me. I’ve put myself in dangerous situations before, but this… This is bad.” James spoke low enough for only us to hear. Giuseppe nodded, we all did. We had no choice but to agree, we couldn’t risk being caught in a trap. The other men might have gotten themselves into quite the sticky situation. “I hope the other officers find their way back here, even walking for 2 minutes can get you lost.” He continued.
I walked around a couple trees, trying to take my mind off of everything, it was a waiting game that I was getting really bored with, and I was starting to worry. I looked back at James, Giuseppe, and my father, who were all sitting under a big tree with blood splattered on it. I looked at it before my eyes widened, I couldn’t believe what I was seeing.

WHEN YOU SEE IT, HIDE YOUR LIFE. IT HAS BEGUN. WATCH OUT FOR THE ARROWS.

“Shit!” I shouted. The three stood up before a familiar sound darted at James’ leg at full speed.
“Ah!” I could hear James’ voice crack from the agonizing pain. I hid behind the trees, observing. I couldn’t believe that this was happening, I wanted to run to help him, but something compelled me from doing so. I had to hide to save myself. I just hoped they could run for safety too.
“Fuck! Where did that come from!” James held his leg, blood was gushing out like a waterfall, who knew your leg carried so much blood. Giuseppe and my father tried putting pressure on his leg, but another arrow darted out, I jumped, covering my eyes.
“Giuseppe!” James shouted out, but it was too late, another arrow had shot right in Giuseppe’s back, he fell to the ground, weeping, still alive, but the look on his face spoke death, he couldn’t even speak, he couldn’t cry, he just wept. The pain stopped from being able to talk. James couldn’t barely move, but managed to slide his way to Giuseppe to access the problem, grabbing onto the arrow but not pulling it out, it barely missed his spine, it would have killed him instantly had it been shot directly into his spine. What was Ogre doing? Why was he keeping them alive? I looked over at my dad, his eyes watery, staring off into the distance, and I wondered what it was he was staring at. I couldn’t tell from my hiding spot, but something caught his attention, he looked scared. I didn’t know what to do, I wanted to run to him, to all of them, but I couldn’t, I had to save myself first, as selfish as it sounded, I had been through too much to get killed halfway to my escape place.
Soon, I could see a shadow going towards my father, my hand covered my mouth as tears fell from my face, I was trying to keep calm, but my eyes did whatever they wanted to, I couldn’t help it.
“Don’t you do it asshole! Don’t!” I heard James yelling, someone was there, was it Ogre, or was it John even? Did he turn on us again? I wanted to see. I tip toed from behind the tree, and moved over to huddle near a tall bush, but I could see clearer now. My mouth dropped. It was Ogre, standing there with a crossbow pointed at my dad’s head.
“Don’t!” I jumped out from the bush, Ogre jolting his head over to me, grinning from ear to ear. I held my mouth, hoping that he wouldn’t do what I knew he wanted to do, but something inside of me knew that what Ogre wanted the most was to see me in pain, physically, but more sadistically, emotionally as well. “Please, not my dad. Take me instead, you don’t have to hurt him.” I didn’t know how else to beg him, but to be straight forward, I hoped John would find us and get him before he could hurt anyone else, but I knew putting myself in front of him was dangerous, but my dad meant to the world to me, and I wasn’t about to let Ogre get away with it.
“Remember what I said, Regan?” Ogre spoke. Making everyone’s skin crawl. My eyes went over to James, and Giuseppe, James holding on to Giuseppe who was clinging to life, and my dad who was staring at the arrow pointed to his head, he tried remaining calm but I could tell he was fearing for his life. “When I said watching you beg was my ultimate pleasure?”
“Honey it’s okay, I love you.” I heard my dad sob, I couldn’t contain myself anymore, I dropped to my knees and cried. I couldn’t do it anymore, the emotional pain was too much, I held it in for so long that it finally caught up to me. I didn’t know what to do anymore, I don’t think anyone did, we were in the middle of a trap, and this time, we couldn’t get out.
“Dad…” I looked at him. My eyes were blood shot from the crying. “I love you, dad.” I spoke out, before –

THUNK

“No!” James, astounded at what he just saw. But what I saw in my eyes, was even worse. My dad laid there dead, an arrow in his forehead, blood dripping little by little but creating a puddle next to his face. His eyes were still open, staring directly at me. My mouth was open but I didn’t know what to say, I started heaving. Until Ogre dropped his crossbow and placed his hands in his pockets, now facing me. I was shaking but managed to stand up somehow.
“DON’T HURT HER YOU COCKSUCKER.” Giuseppe’s raspy voice called out, I almost felt bad. I crossed my arms and faced Ogre, now it was my turn to have some fun.
“I would have killed them all, but John made it a point to keep them alive until we had a chance to speak one on one.” Ogre spoke in a normal voice, first time I ever heard him speak normally since I’ve known him, but his words meant nothing to me, I had plans, and boy was he a big part of it.
“So you killed him, big fuckin’ deal.” I smiled. James and Giuseppe looked up at me in fear, not knowing what was going on.
“Regan, what are you talking about, he just killed your dad, how is that not a big deal?” James asked, wondering what was happening, but he wasn’t my focus at the moment, only Ogre.
“You think John was really on your side, girl? He never was, only on my side. He would be stupid to choose between us, he knows what’s right, and knows what needs to be buried in the dirt.” Ogre looked over at the two men on the ground, hurt and confused, I tried not looking at them, I only wanted my sights on Ogre. This was the plan, this was the only plan I knew, and I was sticking to it.
“Yeah, buried in the dirt alright. That’s why John dug a grave for you right up ahead, why don’t you take a look?” My side smirk on point, as he looked at me questionably before starting to turn around, slowly. James and Giuseppe looked more confused, but knew something was about to go down, they saw something surprising standing behind Ogre, and James knew exactly what was about to happen, it all made sense to him now.
Ogre turned around and there stood in front of him, John. Rifle aimed right at Ogre’s face.
“It’s over… Nivek. Time to end this, now.”
“You played me this whole time! You really are choosing the cunt over me! Why’d you have me kill her father then?!” He asked, not knowing what to do, but this time, he was trapped, and we had him right where we wanted him.
“She wanted you to kill him. Don’t you get it? Your plan backfired the moment you dragged Regan out of the cabin. We had already made plans, no one knew except us.”
I looked over at James, who was dumbfounded, I rolled my eyes, I couldn’t believe he hadn’t figured it out.
“She asked me to play along with your game. She wanted me to tell you to kill him. Honestly I would have done it myself but I needed those two idiots over there to believe I was on their side, she asked me to ask you to do it. Pretty easy, right?”
Ogre turned around and looked at me, almost impressed. But James and Giuseppe were not.
“What you fucking planned to have us killed!? REGAN!” James tried standing up, I walked over to him and pushed him back on the ground, stepping on his leg wound, making him howl in pain.
“Don’t fuckin’ move.” I grunted in his ear before walking up to John, rubbing his shoulder gently.
“So why are you aiming that on me, if she’s as skilled at this as you point out, she could join us.”
I busted out laughing. I couldn’t keep a straight face at those words.
“Fuck no, no one’s joining you, Ogre. You’re going into that grave right there, you’re done.”
I could hear James pleading with me, I didn’t feel bad for him at all and it felt fucking amazing, this plan was my way and John’s way of surviving, without John getting locked up, it was the only way.
“If you’re gonna kill Ogre, why are you going against us, we want the same outcome as you.”
“No.” I began. “You wanna lock John up, and guess what, asshole?” I knelt down in front of him, tears falling from his face. “Not happening.”

BANG!

Ogre dropped to the ground, the echo from the gun shot still roaming through the woods, but still not loud enough for anyone else to hear. It just felt so right. Watching him die was the best feeling I’ve felt in a long while. I stroked James’ cheek, but his hand pushed mine away with force. My smile went away but I knew it was only because he was angry and confused.
“You’ll get over it.” I sighed before getting up and walking to John, our hands connecting with each other’s. “THIS IS MY LIFE; IT WAS MEANT TO BE THIS WAY JAMES.” I sobbed, but not because I felt bad for him, but because no one understood what it was like being me, being the outcast, no one understood me, except John, he made me feel loved and happy, this was my life now, and I intended on living it my way. I only learned from the best.
I looked at Ogre’s lifeless body, before blowing him a kiss. John walked over to James and Giuseppe, before putting a bullet in both of their heads. Damn that felt so good to watch. It was all over, the search was over, the mad man was put down, life could go back to normal, at least our version of normal. I watched John drag Ogre’s body to the grave he dug and threw him in there like rotten meat, after all… That’s exactly what he would become.
He took my hand afterwards and began walking me out of the woods, passing the dead bodies of the policemen who went searching for them earlier.
“Your work, or his?”
“Both.” He kissed me gently as we made our way out of these god damn woods.

_._

THE NEXT DAY

Regan and John laid in bed, Regan’s bed. After exiting the woods, they went back to Regan’s home, as if she never left, and began their new lives together. Everything felt so peaceful. They woke up next to each other, kissing softly, so happy together, knowing no one was coming after them anymore.
“I’ll make coffee.” John got up and stretched before walking downstairs into the kitchen. Regan got up and put her robe on before she heard a knock on her front door. She hustled downstairs, to see John standing there in hesitation. But Regan opened the door anyway. Standing there was Ahniah, who looked frantic.
“Oh, Ahniah! Hi!” Regan smiled, hugging her dearly.
“Hi Regan I’m so happy to see you’re okay!” She sighed in relief. “I’ve been trying to look for Giuseppe and John, but they never came back last night after you returned, did they stay here?”
“No!” Regan fake smiled. John hid behind the counter, hoping Ahniah wouldn’t see him. He listened in carefully.
“Oh, well do you know where they could be, by chance?”
“You know what, I think they went back in the woods to make sure nothing else is out there, you can go check, they aren’t far, just call their names, and they’ll come runnin’.” Regan suggested, Ahniah nodded her head happily and left to head to the woods.
John walked up to Regan and put his arm around her. “I’ll take care of her in a moment, for now I want this.” He closed his eyes and smiled before kissing Regan once more.

What a life it was. What a life indeed.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope you enjoyed reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it. Until next time!