Sequel: Reckoning

Tale as Old as Time

Avalanche

Lucy was so upset she didn't even notice the fact that the men all standing around in Brendon's study were all showing off their elongated fangs. Brendon rose from his seated position to brace himself for whatever reason Lucy was rushing in here for. He watched as she slammed an old photograph down on his desk and pointed at the faint picture of him.

"Explain this to me right now."

"Lucy-"

"Don't lie to me! Don't stand here and Lucy me as if we're friends. You've lied to me from the moment you met me! How could you have known who I was and say nothing? How could you ask me about my family when you knew full good and well you were apart of my family!?"

"Lucy, I'd love to explain but now is not the time." He spoke in a hushed tone eyeing the nosy vampires sitting quietly.

"You're a fucking vampire aren't you!?" She accused angrily, suddenly feeling light headed she stumbled over her own feet onto the floor.

"Lucy." William gasped helping her up.

"Brendon, who's your friend?" One of the vampires questioned, eyes burning red with blood lust.

"She is William's mate, no one lay's a hand on her." Brendon threatened.

"You don't think we're just going to let a free meal escape here do you?"

"This is my home, and my town. You will abide by the rules I have here or my army will take care of you." He promised sending out a mental signal for his men to show up, and they did. "William, get her out of here now." Brendon ordered raising a hand to telepathically remove them from the room.

The room erupted in anger, Brendon's men came crashing in to fight off the hungry outsiders. The local vampire's knew not to mess with Lucy, they had been warned long ago about that. William ran to the front door with Lucy but they were being chased down by more outsiders, so he ran with her up the stairs to his room and locked it.

"Lucy we have to get out of here, they're going to try and kill you." He spoke with worried eyes.

"I'm sorry, I was just so angry! I found all this stuff from my grandfathers records and when I saw Brendon's photograph along with his name attached to my genetic line I just lost it."

"It's not your fault, they showed up here unannounced."

"And you! You didn't tell me that Brendon was a vampire! You knew all along."

"It wasn't my business to tell Lucy. Brendon was never going to hurt you, the moment he met you he knew exactly who you were. Before that moment he never knew you existed or that he had any living relatives for that matter. Yes he is a vampire but he would never do anything to harm you."

"I just don't understand all of this, until I moved here vampire's were just something you saw on tv or in the movies."

"I know love, but you have got to get out of here with Brendon."

"What about you?" She whined, fighting back stressful tears.

"I have to help stop them, Brendon has powers that can protect you getting out of here. I do not possess powers like him we would be vulnerable."

"I don't want to leave you."

"I will be right behind you. He has to get you back to your apartment, the vampire's cannot hurt you there. Please listen to me."

"Ok." She promised grabbing his hand and rushing back out of his room and down the stairs. William fought off a few vampires pulling her the mosh of people.

"Take her. Go." William begged placing Lucy's hand in Brendon's.

"Come on." Brendon urged swiftly moving outside to Lucy's car. They got in and Lucy sped down the mountain. "Stay steady, I've got a barrier around the car they wont be able to touch you."

"Brendon! They're in the road!" Lucy shouted not knowing what to do.

"Lucy hold on!" Brendon panicked as one of the elder vampires held a forceful hand forward crushing the front end of the car and destroying the barrier Brendon had set up around the car. The car swerved to the right and off of the mountain side. Brendon grabbed ahold of Lucy's arm teleporting out of the car before it crashed to the ground. Not being able to see, they slammed into the side of the mountain and rolled down. The elder vampire from the top of the mountain formed an avalanche to follow down with them.

"Oh my god! Brendon!" Lucy screamed as the snow engulfed their bodies. Brendon was still holding onto Lucy's arm, he tugged her closer to grab her waist. Luckily for them they had fallen just beside the car they had originally escaped from. Brendon dug their way inside to get some of the snow off of Lucy's shivering body.

"Lucy wake up." Brendon ordered lightly tapping her face. He stuck his ear up to her chest to make out a heartbeat, he found a rather faint one. Brendon couldn't physically warm her body so he had to go along with his mental abilities. He placed his palm on her chest and her forehead to try and emit some form of heat to keep her at ease.

They were both a bloody mess. Lucy had a few cuts on her face and her body along with a broken wrist. Brendon and cuts all over his body from their crash although those wounds would quickly heal they still stung in the mean time. "Brendon, where are we?" Lucy asked in and out of consciousness.

"We are stuck under an avalanche." Brendon sighed, unable to teleport them out of there.

"Oh no we're going to be stuck here forever and you'll end up eating me." She panicked scooting away from him.

"Lucy don't be ridiculous, I wouldn't dare do that to you. We will get out of here, my men will find us as soon as they've fought off the outsiders."

"Then you have some explaining to do."

"What do you want me to say Lucy? The night I met you and shook your hand I saw right into you, I knew you were my grandchild. How was I supposed to bring that to your attention? You would have thought I was a complete whack job. Especially after your encounter with a vampire I couldn't reveal myself as one to you. But I did make sure that no one harmed you from that day on."

"I guess I would of not believed you. I should of put two and two together with our last names especially."

"Where did you get that?" Brendon asked grasping Lucy's hand in his, gazing upon the ring she had found.

"It was in my grandfathers possessions, along with the photograph."

"This ring belonged to my wife, Lucille. I gave it to my son Charles after she died, it looks like it's been very well taken care of over the years." He smiled remembering the day he proposed to his wife.

"I always wondered how I ended up with a name like Lucille. I was never really fond of it, I preferred Lucy."

"Lucille never really liked her name either, I used to call her Lou Lou." Brendon laughed at how she hated that name worse.

Lucy finally fell asleep as it grew later into the night. Brendon began to worry that something was wrong with his men on why they hadn't found them yet. Everything under the snow was blocked for some reason. He couldn't tell what his men were thinking or doing, he couldn't even sense if they were near or far. He watched as Lucy struggled breathing in her sleep, she was so cold her body was nearly convulsing. Brendon took his suit jacket off and wrapped it around her petite body hoping she could calm down just a little.

Another hour rolled by when Brendon heard faint crunching atop the snow. Muffled voices grew louder but still unclear. "The car is under here!" One voice rang through as chunks of snow were being tossed away from the wreckage. "Boss!? Are you alright?" Someone shouted through.

"Yes! Hurry up and get us out of here!"

"William we've found them! She's in here too I can smell her!"

Before long William was able to extend his long arm to Brendon and pull him up out of the snow before diving into the car himself to pull Lucy out. "William we're going to have to get her to a hospital, she's damn near frost bitten." Brendon expressed helping his friend regain his balance.

"Come on then!"

Brendon snatched ahold of William's arm and teleported them to the town's medial center, nearly startling the nurse at the front desk. "We just pulled her from the snow, please help her." He begged sternly at the nurse.

"Ok put her on the gurney and we'll take her from here." The nurse spoke being greeted by a doctor and another nurse before wheeling her away.

"She'll be alright William, they just need to bring her body temperature back to level." Brendon tried comforting his friend with a reassuring grasp on his shoulder.

"I'm supposed to protect her Brendon, and all I've done is make things worse for her. This is the second time she has been hurt when I'm supposed to be looking out for her." He was ashamed of himself at this very moment, Lucy belonged to him and he was constantly letting her down. He paced the waiting room for hours waiting to hear some kind of news about what was going on with her. Finally a doctor began to come his way.

"William, we've got her body temperature back up to normal. Her knee is fractured so she's in an immobilizing brace for a few weeks. She's got a couple of broken ribs that'll need to mend themselves along with a broken wrist. We had to stitch just one cut above her eyebrow but the other cuts will just bruise over and heal on their own. She is however under sedation to cope with the pain, give her until morning and you'll be able to check in on her."

"Thank you, thank you." He cleared his throat to allow his anxiety to run out of him. He scratched his hands through his messy hair and faced Brendon once more.

"I'm going to go back and check on things at home. Please let me know when she wakes."

"I will." He nodded taking a seat to try and calm the adrenaline that was still rushing through him.