Sequel: Reckoning

Tale as Old as Time

Discharged

William sat quietly in the hospital room, watching Lucy's heartbeat on the monitor. He thought he'd go crazy between that and the silence ringing through his ears. He looked out the window noticing the 50 degree weather slowly melting the snow that blanketed Leadville.

"Why isn't he awake yet?" He mentally fought himself rubbing his chin with a questionable brow raised. "She doesn't even look that hurt."

He sat beside of her in bed, lightly touching her arm. Hoping to reach her somewhere in her dreams and pull her out.

"Why must you insist on touching me with your freezing hands?" Lucy groaned, goosebumps forming on her arms.

"I figured you'd wake to that." He chuckled at her grumpy state.

"I mean, I guess I'm awake but I could go back to sleep. I feel like shit."

"I'll bet, you and Brendon took a nasty fall down the mountains."

"Brendon!" She gasped, opening her eyes wide scanning the room. "Is he alright? We fell under the snow! Did you find him? Did you pull him out?"

"Calm down." He insisted resting his palm on her shoulder. "It took a lot of digging but we were able to find both of you at the same time.

"Well look at this." She shook her head, disappointed at the condition she was in. One leg in a full brace, hand in a cast up to her elbow, and a few dissolvable stitches just above her eyebrow.

"I'd say its the new spring look." William joked.

"I don't like it."

"You look beautiful. Stop making a fuss."

"I can't work like this, this is embarrassing." She sighed in defeat, resting her head back on her pillow.

"Lucy, I'm going to take care of you. You will go home and rest, I will get you whatever you want when you want it. I'll keep your home clean, and don't worry about Nathanial. He'll understand."

"Will, I can't ask you to do that." She waved her hand, dismissing his offer.

"You really don't have a choice, I mean how are you going to shower?" He crossed his arms waiting for her to try and figure that chore out.

"Alright I may need a little help."

Later on in the afternoon Lucy was cleared to leave. She was wheeled out to the front door and William took over from there. He picked her up and placed her into his vehicle as if she weighed nothing. The ride home Lucy was remembering what had happened to her back up the mountain, how so many vampires came after her like that. She was still in shock about how Brendon is a vampire and her grandfather basically.

She looked over at William and was wondering about him. Was he a vampire? No he couldn't be, he would of told her something like that. After everything that has happened he would have told her he was a vampire. But the thought still crossed her mind, how he was such a slender guy but could pick her up with no hesitation. Or the fact that most nights they slept together she would wake to him being wide awake in the bed.

"That's odd." William spoke lowly glancing over at Lucy.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing, uhh couldn't remember if I had my phone or not." He lied. He took a quick look back over to Lucy before focusing on the road.

"Brendon." He mentally spoke to his friend.

"What's wrong?" He responded immediately, they never spoke like this unless it was something important.

"I can't read Lucy's thoughts anymore. She's always thinking of something, all I see is darkness."

"Hmm, that is odd. Once I get back into town I'll come by and see if it's the same for me."

"William. Hello?" Lucy's hand waved up and down in his view as they were sitting idle in her parking space.

"Oh, sorry. Lost in thought."

"Honestly dear are you alright? You seem so different today."

"I'm fine trust me. I just don't like seeing you like this." He promised, kissing her hand. He casually got out of the car and opened the door to Lucy's apartment. He swiftly carried her inside and took her straight to bed. "Can I get you anything?"

"No, I think I'll just rest. Thank you dear." She yawned running a hand across his face.

"Alright, I'll come by later on. I want you to rest, and please call me if you wake before I come back. Don't try and get up alone."

"Yes doctor." She teased shooing him away. "I love you."

"I love you too Lucy." He smiled, kissing her lips before leaving.

Once William left Lucy just laid there staring up at the ceiling. It was too painful to try and roll on her side like she usually sleeps. After a little while she grew a bit sad that William hadn't come back yet. She almost felt like a child being dropped off to her first day of school. Along with that, she felt like a crash test dummy. The bandages around her chest were making her chafe, she began to sweat and began to panic by how helpless she actually was.

"William are you almost back yet?" She spoke after he answered the phone.

"Yes, are you alright?"

"I'm fine, just feeling needy. Its really quiet here." She sighed.

"Alright, I've got dinner. I'm on my way. 5 minutes."