Sequel: Reckoning

Tale as Old as Time

Mood Swing

3 weeks after Lucy's accident she was completely healed in record timing. You couldn't even see a bruise fading or a scratch scabbing over anymore. It was almost as if nothing had happened. She had so much energy fill her within the last few days, she's damn near ran everywhere she needed to go.

"Marathon runner! Slow down!" William teased catching up to her.

She stopped just at the end of her street, on her way back home. "You know you could have waited for me to get to my door instead of rushing down here just to go right back."

"Yeah, yeah. You better be careful you don't want to reinjure your knee."

"Will, I feel amazing. I guess feeling so helpless for a bit gave my body time to rethink how I handle myself day to day. I want to soak up this energy while I got it, never know when I'll feel sluggish again."

"I guess so, just don't turn into some body builder. I can't have my girlfriend looking tougher than me."

"Will, you are like ten feet taller than me, ain't gonna happen." She laughed. "Besides, all this fast food you've fed me the last couple of weeks has packed onto me. You see this?" She dramatically pinched at her sides. "Chub."

"He hysterically laughed but quickly contained himself before responding to that. "Chub? Lucy, seriously you can't even hold that grip. I can't even pinch anything on you, besides I'd love you no matter how much 'chub' you claim to have."

"Poppycock! I got a roll!" Lucy objected bending forward. "Look, a roll."

"You have lost your mind." He surrendered sitting on her couch.

"I'll show you! Those jeans you bought me a while back? Hold on!" She pointed her finger at him before dashing off to her room. Seconds later she came back out, hopping her naked leg into the skinny denim. "Alright now watch." She huffed, tugging them over her butt before fighting to close the button. "See? can't asten them." She concluded with hands at her hips.

"I feel like perhaps you're-"

"I'm what?" She cut him off, instantly firing a terrifying glare his way.

"Menstruating?" He suggested, a bit scared of her expression.

"No I'm not currently menstruating William!! Why would you say that? What is wrong with you men? You blame everything and anything on a woman on their period!" She cried rushing off to her room and falling face first onto her bed.

William sat there for a second to recalculate what he had just said, wondering if it constituted for the response from her. He was a bit scared however, of looking for her after that blow up though. He hadn't prepared himself for her to act that way. "Lucy?" He whispered standing at her doorway looking at her. She was actually sobbing into her pillow, he was growing more concerned since he still couldn't sense her feelings.

He stood there in silence a little while longer, closing his eyes to listen to her heartbeat. His eyes shot back open noticing her heartbeat was irregular than what it usually is. It sounded as if there were an echo from it, it didn't make sense.

"Brendon!" He screamed in his head, backing out of her bedroom.

"What's wrong?" Brendon appeared in her living room, scanning his surroundings. "Where's Lucy?"

"Brendon you've got to figure out what's going on with her, she's hysterical. She's totally blocked from my view and there's something odd about the way her heart his beating. I'm scared."

Brendon took William's previous place at the door frame and stared at Lucy. He tried to drown out the faint sounds from outside to focus on Lucy. "I can't see anything either." Brendon confessed, glancing over at his friend. He stood a bit longer hearing the same echoing from her heartbeat as William did. "It can't be." He spoke lowly, almost terrified.

"Lucy?" Brendon greeted.

"Brendon! When did you get here?" She gasped rolling over to meet her tear stained eyes with his soft brown ones.

"William tells me you're acting a bit off today. I've come to see if I could perhaps figure out what's bothering you."

"What like some type of vampire voodoo?" She scoffed sitting up.

"Something like that. I'd like for you to stand up please."

"I guess." She sighed getting to her feet, still attempting to button her jeans.

"Lucy, I'm concerned."

"Of what?"

"I can read anyone's mind I want. I can sense their feelings and emotions. But as of right now I cannot with you. Now please, I'm not going to hurt you. And this is gonna look weird but trust me please." He spoke in a shaky voice dropping to his knees.

William stood and watched as Brendon placed his ear up to Lucy's pelvic area and rested his right hand on her chest to balance the rhythm of her heart. A few seconds passed and Brendon gasped, pulling his hand away from her chest but not taking his ear away just yet. This was the very first time William saw actual tears pour out of Brendon's eyes.

Brendon wrapped his arms around Lucy's waist and sobbed uncontrollably into her stomach, still on his knees. "What have you done?" The question was raised towards William.

"Done what?" Lucy asked puzzled. "Why are you crying?" She grew worried cupping his face with her hands to make eye contact.

"Do you have any idea what you've done?" Brendon shouted swiftly jumping at William, grabbing him by the collar and throwing him up onto the wall.

"What's happening!?" Lucy shouted trying to break the two apart.

"Lucy, you're pregnant." Brendon spoke lowly, letting William go.

"What!?" Lucy and William both shared the same shocked expression.

"That's not possible." William dismissed waving his hand, trying to control his anger.

"Why not? We've not had protected sex Will."

"I said it's not possible! I can't have kids!" Will roared striking Lucy to the floor. "Who else have you been with!? I can't have kids damnit!" Will's screams grew louder as he snatched her by the back of her hair.

"Let her go!" Brendon ordered waving a hand, tossing William across the room. Fearing that the vampire in him would come out and possibly attack Lucy.

"This is fucked up! You've fucking cheated!" William accused staying on the opposite side of the bed.

"Get out!" Lucy cried, placing a palm to her enflamed cheek.

William punched holes in her walls before storming out of her apartment. Brendon was still trying to contain his emotions about the fate of Lucy. She was still ignorant to the fact that William was a vampire and that she was carrying a vampire child.

"He hit me." Lucy sobbed as Brendon pulled her into an embrace. "I swear Brendon he's the only one I've been with, how could he do this to me? How could he hit me? I love him."

"He's just upset. This is his child Lucy, I hate to leave you like this but I've got to go find him and stop him from trying to destroy the town."

"Go." She waved him off before locking herself in her bathroom.

She never would have dreamed William would ever lay a hand on her. As charming and caring as he's always been towards her she never saw this day coming. She was so overwhelmed about what just happened that she had forgotten about what Brendon had revealed to her. She cried herself to sleep on the bathroom floor, back pressed up against the door.