Sequel: Reckoning

Tale as Old as Time

To Have Loved

"Lucy, Lucy why would you come here?" Her grandfather spoke to her in such a hoarse voice.

"Pappy?" She called out, squinting off into the haze from where his voice came.

"Out of all the places in the United States why would you come to this town?"

"I'm not sure, it was lowly populated and seemed like a nice small town to just be alone in."

"You must be careful here, Lucy there's many dangers you must watch out for." He warned coming into view.

"Like what?"

"I cannot say unfortunately. Just trust your gut, do not let your guard down here." He requested before vanishing from her sight.

Lucy jolted out of her sleep quickly scanning her room. She wasn't quite sure what he was trying to ward her from. What was so bad about such a small town? Whatever. Lucy finally just accepted that, that was indeed just a dream and she was just having some anxiety about a new place. She new her grandfather was gone so there was no way he could be contacting her. She brushed her matted hair out of her face and got herself ready for the day.

William had walked into After Hours. It was one of the bars in town, that was basically strictly for the Vampires. No mortal dared come in here unless they wanted to be someones meal or turned themselves.

"William, when are we going for another hunt? It's been a week, we're growing tired of animal blood." Aaron asked sweeping the floor.

"That's up to Brendon to decide. I'm sure another one will be near." William responded before recognizing a familiar scent. "She's here." He whispered to himself out loud, a sinister smile forming around his lips.

"I smell a woman, a live one." Someone spoke from the back of the bar, causing the rest of the vampires to stop what they were doing and sniffing the air.

"This one is off limits to everyone. Anyone touches her, they'll answer to me." William threatened, eyes flashing a terrifying amber.

"Oh, fancy running into you here." Lucy smiled walking inside.

"Everyone this is Lucy, she's new in town." William introduced not taking his eyes off of her.

"Hello." She waved innocently.

"Hello Lucy." Everyone greeted, fighting the urge to drain her body on the spot.

"What bring's you in here?" William asked rescanning his army.

"Well I'm looking for a job, just going place to place."

"I can assure you, you do not want to work here. I however may have some work for you."

"Alright then, I'm really up for anything." She agreed walking with him out of the bar.

"There's a little candy store just over here, I know the owner would love to have someone as cheerful as you on his staff." William smiled, ushering her inside the store.

"William good afternoon sir." Nathanial greeted him, frozen in his tracks seeing as William never comes in his shop.

"Nathanial, I'd like for you to meet Lucy. She is in search for a job."

"Welcome, Lucy. Please come in." Nathanial waved her over.

William watched in awe as she happily went to go fill out paperwork. He knew Nathanial wouldn't do anything to harm her, knowing she was an acquaintance of Williams. Watching her, it almost seemed like time was moving in slow motion. Maybe what Brendon was saying was accurate. He had never seen a woman this way before. It almost scared him a bit, how could a mortal hold so much power over him? What was it about her that was making him crumble? Before anyone could acknowledge him again he had vanished back to his home.

He reached out for more information from Brendon. Wanting to better understand what was happening to him.

"When I turned into a vampire, I had already been married to Lucille a few years. Once I was completely turned I had a new love for Lucille. She was in fact my soul mate. The night I looked at her as a vampire it was as if time was no more. She was radiant, her beauty was unlike any other woman. Our hearts were joined as one, everything felt at ease. I had never realized that as a mortal, but as a demon I did." Brendon explained twisting his well aged wedding ring on his finger. "I have never felt that in another woman William. That is why it is important for you to grab ahold of this one while you can. My Lucille has been gone for a very long time and it's very lonely without her."

"I understand. It's just mind blowing how a mortal human could hold so much power over me this way."

"Creatures like us aren't supposed to feel love. We aren't really supposed to feel anything but cold. When something like this can break through our numbness, it does seem scary."

Brendon sat there that evening reminiscing back to when Lucille finally figured out what he was. Hating himself to this day that he was the reason she died so young. He kept to himself up in the mountains to keep a quiet mind to remember his wife for who she was. Her long brown hair that curled perfectly down her back. The hazel eyes that almost reflected of a cats whenever she walked into the sunlight. Her snow white skin with soft pink lips that always seemed to be pouted. The way her cheeks used to flush whenever Brendon would smile at her. The happiness that shown on her face the day she gave birth to their first born son Charles.

He longed just to feel her touch again. Her warm fingertips, along his cold flesh. He only agreed to stay on this earth as a vampire to prevent his inevitable demise. Selfish in feeling that his wife wouldn't know how to live without him. Later realizing he just wasn't the same to her anymore. The sudden loss of appetite, his body temperature, the sleepless nights. He began to frighten her when he grew hungry for blood. When he came home one night covered in blood he had to confess what he had done, and what he was.

"I'm sorry my love. I was better off dead. Mourning a death is easier when they're 6 feet under." He apologized gently touching a very worn photograph of her.