Sequel: Reckoning

Tale as Old as Time

The Hunt

A month had rolled by after Lucy moved to Leadville. She was rather enjoying her job at the candy store, the kids around town seemed to really like Lucy. She hadn't had anymore dreams about her grandfather so she didn't think on it anymore.

William stayed observing Lucy from afar. He wasn't sure how to approach her and request a date. He made it harder than what it really had to be. They were preparing for a hunt tonight in a neighboring town, perhaps he'd have more courage after dominating his prey.

"She's home asleep." William confirmed to Brendon, making sure Lucy was indeed in her home while they were out.

"Alright men, we're not hunting here tonight. A town to the East is where our destination is. Everybody gets one human, once finished you are to get back to the mountains for head check. Good luck, these humans are very smart and knowledgable of who we are and what we are." Brendon announced before leading his army swiftly through the snow.

Lucy was awoken an hour later to what sounded like a fire house alarm. She quickly ran outside to look around and see what was going on. She had never heard this alarm go off before.

"Psst Lucy!" The little boy that lived next door whispered from his bedroom window.

"Chase, what's going on?"

"You have to stay inside when that alarm goes off. Its not safe outside, get in quick." He spoke quickly before shutting his window.

She stood there for a second, suddenly feeling nauseous about what could possibly be happening that would call for this alarm. Fighting with her thoughts she decided to go back inside and just peak out of her window.

William and Brendon walked side by side with their men following close behind them. "Begin." Brendon softly smiled waving them on their way. The two of them knew they didn't have to go chasing their prey around like the newer ones did. One would cross their path soon enough making it less tiring for them. At one time they enjoyed rushing around like maniacs fighting for their food.

"Oh look at that, we've got a fighter." Brendon chuckled pointing to a man up the street. He had decapitated one of the vampires and was beginning to set him on fire.

William hated for anyone to fight back. To him vampires were the dominant of all species, anger filled his cold body. He quickly ran to the man that took down one of his own and snatched him up by the throat. "Now, now William. He clearly has some fight in him." Brendon softly spoke placing a gentle hand on his friend's arm. Williams grip around his prey's neck only tightened, his fingernails piercing into his skin.

"Turn him. We are down one man now, we must replace him." Brendon spoke sternly with a raised brow.

William flung the man down an alley way. Using only his mind to do all the fighting rather than him physically doing it himself. As the man failed at fighting off Williams powers, he was readjusting his tie back to the way it was before grabbing this human. Finally he snatched him just inches from his face before sinking his teeth harshly in his throbbing neck. William could taste the fear, the anxiety, the life that flowed through him by the first bite. Stopping only a split second before his blood was completely drained. Body limp, William threw him to the ground like the garbage that he was. Leaving him there to endure the pain of becoming his eternal self.

"Get him up." Brendon snapped his fingers at another crew member before turning on his heel and walking away with William.

Adrenaline was still rushing through William from the night prior, he shifted down from the mountains to the candy shop a little after Lucy got to work.

"Oh hi William!" She smiled sweetly at him.

"Please come and try this, I think I've perfected this peanut butter fudge."

"Uhm Lucy, Mr. Beckett doesn't-" Nathanial tried to interject.

"I am not a fudge person. But peanut butter is one of my weaknesses so lets see what you have." William shot Nathanial a glare before smiling at Lucy.

"Great!" She cheered cutting him a small piece and sticking a tooth pick in it before handing it to him.

"Simply amazing! I'll have to buy a pound of that."

"Really!? Ok give me a second." She cheered before rushing off to box it up for him. He watched her as she carefully tied a perfect ribbon around the square box.

"Beautiful, thank you very much. You know I was wondering, if you aren't doing anything later on tonight I would love for you to accompany me to dinner."

"Oh wow, I'd be happy to."

"Alright, then it's a date." He winked before taking his leave.

Lucy didn't know what to say, she barely knew anything about him but she had agreed to go on a date with him. Nathanial showed no expression once William left just went back to work.