Sequel: Reckoning

Tale as Old as Time

Vampires Do Exist

That night Lucy tossed and turned in her sheets. William had placed her into a deep slumber, but that still didn't counteract the nightmares. If anything it made it harder for her to escape her dreams. Terrible images of vampires all around her, none of them the same though. Some looked like actual demons from another dimension, while others looked human with sharp white fangs poking through their lips.

No matter where she ran another one would cut her off and just stare at her. She tried to scream but nothing would come out. Lucy had never imagined vampires to be real, they were only things you saw in movies or in comic books.

William studied her while she slept. Unable to help her in her dreams he would rub her back or stroke her face whenever she would cringe or jolt around. He was really trying to figure out a way to explain to her what happened and to confirm that vampires indeed exist. And how he was going to tell her he was a vampire himself. Although, he wasn't going to cough up that bit of information right away.

"Will!" Lucy shot straight up out of her sleep, wiping away the matted hair that was stuck to her sweaty face.

"You're alright, I'm still here." He reassured sitting up to her level.

"I can't go back to sleep. Jesus my head is pounding." She had finally noticed the throbbing gash in the back of her head. "Did you stitch this?"

"I did, I figured you'd want to be in your bed when you awoke rather than a hospital."

"Thank you." She walked into her bathroom rummaging through her medicine cabinet to find something for her head. She quickly swallowed two chalky ibuprofen's and sat back in her spot on the bed. "William please don't lie to me, I deserve to know the truth about this whole thing." She pleaded, staring into dark eyes searching for answers.

"Fine." He sighed, standing up to peer out of the window. A heavy hand through his unkept hair he fumbled to find the words to begin. "The alarm that goes off every once in a while is a warning to the towns people to stay indoors and not come out. Once that siren goes off, it is once again safe to come back outside. The reason for this is because this town like so many others are populated by vampires. Now what you need to understand is, is vampires are not what they've been played out to be in the movies." He paused to make sure she was following along.

"Vampires are almost impossible to pinpoint. They can walk in the day time as long as their isn't direct sunlight. It does not kill them but it does shine on their skin differently than a mortals. Their fangs don't come out unless they are about to feast, they only show their teeth to intimidate their prey. What is true is they drink blood, and they do not like crucifixes. But the garlic and all that other voodoo stuff people think wards them off, it does not work."

"Then what's the point of the alarm?"

"Vampires cannot enter any household without being formally invited inside. So if you are inside your home you are safe because they cannot enter. Its like demons trying to possess human bodies, they cannot enter the body unless they are granted access. The alarm is a courtesy so that say children aren't out playing while the vampires hunt."

"So that man that was after me last night was a vampire? He was going to kill me?" Tears began to fall down her now rosy cheeks, overwhelmed by what William was telling her.

"Yes, had I not gotten there to save you he would have killed you. Or worse."

"What's worse?" She was puzzled, dropping her hands in her lap.

"He could have turned you into a vampire."

"Oh my god. I don't understand any of this. So I guess you're going to tell me that bigfoot exists too?"

"That I am not sure of." He smiled at how shocked she was. "One thing I am sure of, is that no one is going to harm you again. I am not going to let you out of my sight. And if that alarm goes off again you promise me you wont go outside. Promise me."

"I promise."

Later on after the sun came up there was a knock at Lucy's door.

"I'll get it." William offered, sensing Brendon's presence.

"William, good afternoon." Brendon spoke, trying to ease the tension.

"Lucy, Brendon's at the door."

"Oh hi, nice to see you again. Please come inside." Lucy smiled waving him over into her living room.

"Why thank you." He nodded taking his hat and coat off.

"William filled me in on your unfortunate encounter last night with our towns secret."

"I'm still in disbelief over the whole thing." Lucy explained, goosebumps growing on her arms at the thought of this still being real.

"I do apologize, and I can assure you the exact individual that attacked you has been dealt with. I wanted to come down and personally apologize to you. You have to understand that information like this wasn't something we advertise to our new patrons."

"I can respect that, I just wish I knew what the alarm meant. It's aweful curious to a newbie."

"Ahh yes." Brendon trailed off studying Lucy.

He continued making small talk with her and William while he read into her soul. It took a lot of skill to be able to answer questions out loud while concentrating on reading into Lucy's mind to get more information. "Please, I know this is off topic but could you tell me about your family?" Brendon boldly asked.

"There really isn't much more to tell anymore. I am what's left. My parent's died when I was young and my grandfather raised me all by himself. I had no siblings or cousins growing up. From what I can remember being said there was only one son born down the family tree since the early 1800s. I was the first girl born since that time, my parents didn't have a son like all the others before me."

Brendon stood up and walked over to the window. He stuffed his hands into his pockets to keep from showing his rage through his balled up fists. "That's a bit of a miracle then I'd say. That's many generations gone by and to finally have a girl born, I'm sure that was enlightening."

"It was, my grandfather always made me feel so special." She smiled, remembering how happy he used to get whenever she walked into a room.

"I see, well please don't think me rude I must be off. I am elated to see you up and feeling good, have a pleasant afternoon." He tipped his hat before quickly shutting the door behind me.

"He always seems like he's in such a hurry."

"Well he's kind of like the towns overseer, I'm sure he has to check on other's to make sure no one was severely hurt from last night."

"I understand, he talks funny. He uses words like my grandfather used to use."

"He's just an old fashioned guy. You've become quite the detective today." He teased setting down beside her on the couch.

"I just feel a bit on edge today. I'm sorry."

"Please, never apologize to me for your feelings." He brushed off, kissing her forehead.