What She Found

Chapter 1

SATURDAY, DECEMBER 15 - 9:00PM


Her fingers brushed the glass that was scattered along the floor, and she only pulled away when once of the shards sliced her palm. She winced, and walked carefully into the kitchen to wash away the blood that had appeared.

On the way, she stepped over many fallen objects, but she barely noticed them. All she saw was the glass, glistening in the dim light, and her breath caught, her chest tightening.

After Hayden cleaned her hand, she grabbed her cell phone and tapped out a number. Then she put the receiver to her ear and said, "Someone's been in my house."

As she ended the call, she felt a shadow pass over her as she reentered the hallway. Turning, she saw the silhouette of a man all in black. He advanced on her, pressed her against a table by the wall, and put his hands around her throat.

The stranger squeezed tightly, and Hayden tried to pry his hands away, but he held fast.

"Don't struggle, or I will kill you," he whispered.

When he released his grip, Hayden sucked in a breath. He brought his unoccupied hand up to her caress her hair, cradling her head softly.

Then he slammed her face into the mirror hanging on the wall. When she dropped, he stepped away from her and exited the house.

In the distance, sirens wailed.