What She Found

Chapter 10

SUNDAY, DECEMBER 16 - 6:00PM


Reese's fingers brushed her bare skin. She squirmed and moved against him, her body warm.

"We probably shouldn't be doing this," she said. "It's happened too many times before."

"Exactly," Reese murmured. "It's not a mistake."

"We're friends."

He smiled. "We're more than that," he whispered, his mouth on her neck.

Maya groaned, and pressed her hand into his chest as he slipped his arms around her waist and pulled her closer.

"We should be focusing on the case," she told him. "She needs our help to find out who did this to her."

He sat up, and Maya placed her head on his chest, her arm draped across his stomach. "Who do you think did this?" he asked.

"She works at a psychiatrist's office," Maya said. "I checked her file after you updated it. Has she mentioned any patients that have been making her feel uncomfortable?"

"No," Reese answered. "She was pretty vague about her whole job situation. I didn't press her about it, though I probably should have." On the bedside table, Reese's phone chimed. He reached for it and looked at the screen, his eyes wide. "Shit," he murmured.

"Is it Hayden?"

"She got a call from her boss. His office was broken into and he was attacked."

"Does he know who did it?" she asked.

He shook his head, stood and started to dress. Afterward, he grabbed his badge and phone. He bent down and kissed Maya's cheek.

"I'll be back as soon as I can."