What She Found

Chapter 12

SUNDAY, DECEMBER 16 - 7:00PM


He sat in the room, the lights flickering overhead. He was still in his pants and light blue button-down shirt, the blood splattered along his collar and both his sleeves. One of his arms hung useless at his side, while his other held his phone.

There was a knock on the door, and Hayden appeared.

"You look like shit," she said, slipping inside. She reached out and pressed a hand to his bruised eye.

Hunter winced.

"Sorry," she murmured. "What were you doing there so late?"

"Paperwork," he said, moving her hand away from his face. "You shouldn't have come, Hayden. You could have gotten killed."

"You called me."

"I shouldn't have."

"It's okay, I'm glad you did. If I hadn't shown up and scared him off—"

"Hayden." He reached for her. And she let him. "You saved me. Thank you."

When his mouth pressed against hers, she exhaled sharply.

"Oh, I'm sorry! I didn't mean to interrupt."

A nurse stood in the doorway, a clipboard in hand.

"It's okay, I was just checking in on him," Hayden said, as she slid passed the other woman and left the room.

To her surprise, Reese was leaning against the wall.

"Is he up for questioning?" he asked.

"He still has to see the doctor."

Reese nodded, and handed her a cup of coffee. "I'm sorry about before. It was unprofessional of me to ask you to stay with me. Like you said, you don't know me."

Hayden shrugged. "It was a nice offer, regardless. But I have some place to stay already."

"Miss Boswell?" a voice said. Dr. Mills had approached her, looking concerned. "What are you doing here? Is everything okay?"

"Oh." Hayden's eyes widened. "No, I'm okay. I'm just here with my friend. Hunter Copeland? He was admitted a while ago. His office was broken into, and he was attacked."

"Oh, yes." Dr. Mills nodded grimly. "He's my patient. I'm just on my way to see him." He glanced beside Hayden. "Hello again, Detective. Are you here to talk to Mr. Copeland?"

"I am," Reese said. "Would you mind if I joined you?"

"Not at all," said Dr. Mills.

"I'll figure this out," Reese told Hayden softly. "I promise."

Hayden closed her eyes. She hoped he did.