What She Found

Chapter 15

MONDAY, DECEMBER 17 - 10:30AM


Maya felt the tension as soon as she walked through the door. She saw Reese standing by the staircase, and Hayden against the wall.

"What happened?" she asked.

"Reese thinks he knows who did this," Hayden murmured. "He thinks it was my brother."

"You have a brother?" Maya said, eyebrow raised.

"Bigger picture, please," Reese replied. "Yes, she has a brother. And when he mom died, she left Hayden some money, which Mason may know about. It would make sense as to why he didn't take anything, and why he came back. He thinks it's here."

"But it's not," Hayden argued. "I told you that."

"I know." Reese checked his phone. "We can't take any chance that he won't come back, and that he won't hurt you worse in order to get what he wants. You need to leave."

"Do you have someone you can stay with?" Detective Kinley asked.

"Yes," Hayden answered. "I can stay with a friend. Speaking of which, I need to go pick him up. I was supposed to leave already." She pulled out her phone. "I'll text him to see if he still needs me." She glanced at Maya. "If you want, there's food in the fridge. You can help yourselves."

"Thanks," Kinley said. "We'll try to be quick looking around."

Hayden smiled, then grabbed her purse and keys, and left.

**


Hunter sat outside the hospital, in sun warm on his face. He'd had his eyes shut, and was focusing on the air, trying to distract himself from the ache in his arm, when he heard a voice.

"Shit, I'm so sorry I'm late. The detectives are at the house."

Hunter blinked. Hayden sat next to him, her red hair pulled into a messy bun.

"Are you okay?" she asked, running a hand along his sling. "How's your arm?"

Hunter shook his head. "It hurts like a bitch, but I'm okay. Did you find anything missing from your place?"

"No," she replied. Then tilted her head. "Could I stay with you for a while? Detective Danvers wants me out of the house, and I figured I could help take care of you, since you got hurt because of me."

"Hayden." He put his good hand against her cheek. "You didn't do this to me, it's not your fault. If you're trying to alleviate your guilt there's no need. As for you staying with me, I'd like that very much."

When he kissed her, her fingers tangled in his hair.

"Okay," she whispered.