What She Found

Chapter 16

MONDAY, DECEMBER 17 - 11:45AM


Hunter's coffee sat untouched on his desk. He'd been doing paperwork all morning, and his head was starting to ache. He reached for the cup when there was a knock on the door.

"Come in," he said.

Ryan Dowd entered, looking worried.

"Dr. Copeland," he said softly. "I'm glad to see you're doing okay, I heard about the attack."

Hunter motioned toward his sling. "I'm doing as well as can be expected. I have a few more weeks with this thing on." He leaned forward. "We're not scheduled to meet today. Are you okay?"

Ryan's green eyes narrowed. "Yes, of course. Why would you assume I wasn't okay? Did someone say something?"

His paranoia was high today.

Hunter opened his desk drawer, and took out a file. Ryan wasn't sitting yet; he was hovering, anxious, waiting.

"You can sit," Hunter offered. "That's what the chair is for."

Ryan didn't smile at the joke. He sat down, folded his hands in his lap. They twitched, but he didn't try to hide them like he normally would have.

"What are you doing?" he asked. "Is that my file?"

"It is," Hunter answered. "I was checking to make sure your medication was up to date. You've been taking it, haven't you?"

"What are you accusing me of?" Ryan snapped. "Of course I have!"

Hunter frowned. "I'm not accusing you of anything, I was merely asking a question. I want to make sure you're being safe."

"How is Miss Boswell doing?" Ryan asked suddenly.

His change of demeanor surprised Hunter, but he didn't question it.

"She's okay," he replied. "Now, can you tell me what's going on?" He tapped his pen against the notepad, and smiled. "You can trust me.," he said.