What She Found

Chapter 17

MONDAY, DECEMBER 17 - 1:45PM


Reese sat on the couch, his eyes on Hayden. She was pulling at the end of her braid anxiously and looking around.

"Don't worry," he told her. "He's not going to get into this house as long as me and Maya are here. You should start packing."

Hayden glanced at him. "You don't even know who he is yet, Reese."

"I know who I think did this," he said.

"Have you gotten in touch with Mason?"

Reese shook his head. "Not yet. If we tip him off, he'll run. But we think he's in town, because he's been able to get into your house twice. He knows your schedule, he's able to follow you around."

"I had an idea," Hayden murmured. "But I'm going to need Maya for this one."

**


Maya paced the living room, her eyes falling on Reese, then Hayden."You want me to what? You can't be serious."

"He doesn't know you," Reese answered. "At least I don't think he does. He's already attacked Hayden's boss, but not the police. Which means he's not after us. We're not a threat."

"But you are," Hayden said. "You're the ones with the ability to stop him. He'll come for you."

"You don't know that," Maya said softly "We're doing everything we can to pinpoint his whereabouts. Reese thinks he's in town."

"He said that," Hayden responded. "I haven't talked to Mason in a long time. You know that, don't you?"

Maya nodded, "I'm aware of that, Hayden. But he is still a suspect."

Hayden's eyes narrowed, and she gripped her braid again. "Have you looked into anyone else? You seem awfully fixated on him."

Maya let out a breath. "Is there anyone else you can think of that would want to hurt you? Someone who shows special interest in you?"

"Just Ryan Dowd," Hayden said.

"And who is he?" Reese asked.

"He's one of Hunter's patients, but he's harmless."

Reese took out a small notebook, and wrote something down. Then he glanced at Maya. "You should call Mr. Copeland, Hayden. We'll need to speak with him down at the station."