What She Found

Chapter 2

SATURDAY, DECEMBER 15 - 9:25PM


He knocked on the door, trembling from the cold. When it opened, he was surprised to see a woman with long red hair and blue eyes staring at him. She wore a gray sweater and dark jeans, but that did nothing to conceal the bruises on her throat.

"Miss Boswell, I'm Detective Reese Danvers. I understand that you've had a break in. May I come in and look around?"

"Please call me Hayden," she said, and stepped aside.

When Reese entered, he saw that the lights were on, and they lit up everything—from the glass on the floor, some looking as though it had been crushed underfoot, to the cracked mirror on the wall, and the tilted table below.

"You're hurt," he commented. "Were you attacked as well?"

She nodded. "After I called, he came out of the shadows and pushed me against the table. Then he put his hands around my throat, and told me that he'd kill me if I struggled."

Reese inclined his head slightly, his eyes catching the blood on her temple. He reached out a hand to touch her, and she stepped back.

"Sorry, I just see the cut on your head. Did he do that?"

"He knocked me out, slammed my head against the mirror."

"The glass is intact, though." Reese ran his gloved hands over the edge of the frame. He glanced back at the window beside the door, and noticed it was broken from the outside.

Hayden shifted uncomfortably. "I don't feel so good."

When she swayed and collapsed, Reese caught her before she hit the floor. He lifted her and brought her into the kitchen, where he sat her down on the counter top. Then he found a dishtowel and under cold water, pressed it to her forehead until she opened her eyes.

"What happened?" she murmured, blinking.

"You passed out, Reese replied. "You need to go to the hospital. I'll take you. I'll call back up to come and canvas the house. You need to get checked out, and then I need to ask you some questions. Is that okay?"

Hayden nodded tiredly. "Thank you, Detective Danvers."

"I think you should call me Reese," he told her. "Since we're going to be spending a lot of time together."

"Okay, Reese," she said softly.