What She Found

Chapter 26

THURSDAY, DECEMBER 20 - 1:30PM


Reese kept his eyes on Maya as she walked. She'd been looking better the last few days, and she was finally able to go home.

"You can stop doing that," she said.

He feigned confusion, and her eyes narrowed.

"Quit watching me, I'm okay."

"I'm just worried."

"I know." Maya leaned against him. "I'm just tired."

"I pulled the car around. All you have to do is get in it and we can leave."

She smiled. "Is there any more information on the case?"

"Nothing yet. I have to get Dowd to come back to the station first. I don't think Hayden wants to help me with that. I'll called Dr. Copeland later to see if he can assist."

"You sound like you're enlisting his help to hunt down a killer," Maya said.

They stepped outside into the sunlight, and Maya slipped into the car. Reese got behind the wheel and tapped the dash, thinking.

"We might be," he told her. "Ryan Dowd is fixated with Hayden for some reason, and I want to know why."

Maya leaned back in the passenger seat and closed her eyes.

Something about the case bothered Reese, but he couldn't put his finger on it. All he wanted to do was to keep Hayden safe. And Maya.

Reese pulled out his phone and dialed Hunter's number. It went to voicemail.

"Dr. Copeland, this is Detective Danvers calling. I'd like to discuss Hayden's case with you. I have an idea about how we can get Ryan Dowd back to the precinct."