What She Found

Chapter 27

THURSDAY, DECEMBER 20 - 2:45PM


Hayden watched the door. She'd been watching it for an hour before it opened and Ryan Dowd walked in. He wore a gray jacket and a pair of dark jeans. When his eyes fell on her, he grinned.

"You wanted to see me?"

Hayden bit her lip. She felt guilty about lying to him. But it seemed like the only option right now.

"Sit down," she said softly. "We have to talk."

He frowned. "About what? Did I do something to upset you?"

Hayden shook her head, eyeing the door again. She checked her phone, and saw that she had a text from Reese.

I'm here. Keep him distracted.

Hunter stepped out of his office, and he glanced at her, mouthing, Reese?

Hayden nodded toward the parking lot. And when the door opened, and Reese entered, hand ready on his gun, Ryan stood, looking panicked.

"Mr. Dowd," Reese said firmly. "I believe you and I have some catching up to do."

Ryan backed up against the receptionist desk, and hissed at Hayden, "What did you do? I trusted you!"

"You're okay, Ryan," Dr. Copeland murmured. "Reese is here to help."

Hayden watched as Reese came toward them. He placed a hand on Ryan's arm and spoke softly. "Why don't we go somewhere and talk?"

"I'm not going back to that room with you."

Reese inclined his head. "We don't have to, Ryan. I just have some questions for you regarding Hayden."

"I didn't do anything to her, I told you." Ryan looked at Hayden, his eyes pleading. He turned around and glared at Reese. "I would never hurt her."

"Well someone did," Reese said. "If you know anything, Mr. Dowd, now would be the time to tell me."

Ryan shut his eyes, and exhaled then he looked around.

"I know something," he whispered.