What She Found

Chapter 29

FRIDAY, DECEMBER 21 - 11:00AM


"Hayden."

It was Reese. He stood at the front door, his eyes dark. He wore a long, heavy coat, and a chilling expression.

"What's going on?" she asked.

She watched Reese's eyes as they took in her appearance: silk robe, damp hair in a messy bun. He composed himself quickly, and told her why he was here.

"Ryan Dowd was found dead this morning," he said gently. "I'm sorry."

Hayden gripped the door frame, her heart beating frantically, and shut her eyes. She only opened them when he put a hand on her shoulder to steady her. She must have swayed a bit.

"Does Hunter—" she could barely get the words out. "Does he know?"

Reese shook his head. "I thought he'd be here. Is he at the office?"

Hayden nodded. "He's going to be devastated. He really connected with Ryan. Tried to help him."

Reese stepped inside and took his coat off, hanging it on the banister. He sat on the stairs and ran a hand through his hair. "We think Mason found out that Ryan snitched, so he killed him or had him killed. Either way, it's not good."

"What now?" Hayden said.

Before he could answer, there was a knock on the door frame.

Maya stood there.

"I heard what happened. I'm sorry," she said. "I came to see if I could help with anything." She winced as she walked inside.

Hayden gripped her arm.

"Thanks," she murmured.

Reese stood, and she went to him. He hugged her.

"You should have stayed home," he said.

"Please," Maya said, glaring up at him. "I was hit by a car, I wasn't shot. I'm allowed to be here." She glanced at me now. "What do we know?"

"Mason may have killed Ryan, or had him killed," Hayden told her. "How do we find him?"

"We?" Reese raised an eyebrow, then chuckled. "You are not doing anything. You're staying out of this from now on, do you understand?"

Hayden narrowed her eyes. "This man is my brother, Reese. Maybe I can talk to him."

Maya shook her head. "He won't listen to you. Right now, you're a target. He's already injured Hunter. Do you want to be next?"

"He could have hurt me," Hayden reminded her. "He could have killed me. He didn't. He wants something."

Maya sighed, and rubbed her head. "Can I have a glass of water, please?" She looked at Reese. "I think you were right, I need to be resting."

Reese nodded, retreated to the kitchen, and returned with a glass. He handed it to her and brushed his lips against her forehead.

"I'm glad you're okay," Hayden said to her.

"Me too. I just want to catch this asshole."

"Let's go," Reese said, grabbing Maya's hand. "Hayden, we'll talk to Hunter. You should be here when he comes home. He needs you."