What She Found

Chapter 3

SATURDAY, DECEMBER 15 - 9:45PM


She hated hospitals. Every since her mother had become sick, she'd avoided them as best she could. But here she was, sitting in a cold room, with white walls, wearing a paper gown.

Hayden's eyes flitted to the counter, where Reese stood. He watched her with a small smile. He offered to leave her alone, but she refused.

"I hate this place," she said as she glanced around at the photos on the wall, the tools and latex gloves. "Do you have somewhere to be?"

Reese tipped his head. "I asked if you wanted me to leave, and you said no. So I'm here. Besides, you'll need a ride home later."

Hayden smiled. "Thank you. I appreciate this. But I'll be fine."

"I don't think so." He stepped toward her, and lifted his hand to her temple; the blood had dried, but the blue and purple bruise had started to form. "You might end up having a concussion."

"You're a doctor now?" she ventured.

"I've seen things from attacks like this," he answered. "Some people come out unscathed, while others—let's just say I've seen my fair share of terrible things working this job."

She didn't doubt that. Relief flooded her when the door opened.

"Miss Boswell," he said, smiling. "I'm Dr. Mills. How are you feeling? I've read your chart, and I talked with Detective Danvers. He told me what happened, and so did the nurses who saw to your injuries when you arrived."

"I'm okay," Hayden replied. "I have a bit of a headache, but that's all. Can I get out of here soon?"

Dr. Mills smiled. "Not a fan of hospitals, I see. Not too many people are. But your head doesn't look too bad. I can clean it and put a few steri-strips on the wound. I'd like to run more tests and keep you here overnight just to be safe." He glanced at Reese. "Will you be staying, Detective?"

Reese nodded. Hayden looked at him, her eyes bright. She felt better with him here. Once the doctor left, she relaxed.

"I don't want to go home," she murmured.

"Don't worry," Reese said, walking over to her. "I'll have a car outside your house. I'll make sure this guy doesn't come back. Hayden, I'll keep you safe. I promise."