What She Found

Chapter 30

FRIDAY, DECEMBER 21, 1:30PM


She heard the door open, and even though she knew it wasn't Mason, her body tightened in panic. Hayden saw Hunter, his steps slow, face pale, and eyes red.

"Hey," he said, hanging his coat up. His voice was rough. "I heard about Ryan."

She nodded, and went to him, her arms going around his waist. She buried her face into his chest and listened to his heartbeat, closing her eyes.

"I'm sorry," she whispered. "This is my fault."

Hunter's fingers gripped her shoulders, and pushed her back, his expression hard.

"What are you talking about? This isn't your fault, Hay. It's Mason's."

"Do you want a drink?" she asked, moving toward the liquor cabinet. She pulled out a bottle of vodka and grabbed two glasses.

"Please." He loosened his tie. She handed him the glass. He downed it in one swallow. "God, I hate this stuff. Why do we have it around?"

"For guests?" Hayden suggested.

She led him to the couch, and curled up next to him.

"I want to catch this bastard now more than ever," he murmured.

Hayden agreed. When her phone chimed, she picked it up off the coffee table, and glanced at the screen.

"It's a text from Mason."

She turned the screen and showed Hunter.

Image

Against my better judgement, I replied.

Image

His next words left my skin cold.

Image