What She Found

Chapter 35

SUNDAY, DECEMBER 23 - 12:00PM


Hunter was out when the texts came in, so Hayden called him. When he picked up, all she said was, "He's coming for me. For all of us."

"Calm down. Tell me what happened," he said softly.

Hayden shut her eyes tightly, and dropped onto the bed. She held her phone in a vice-like grip, letting out rattled breathing.

She couldn't say anything, so instead, she forwarded the messages.

Hunter was quiet for a long time.

"Are you there?" she whispered.

"Yes," he answered, his voice cold. "Jesus, Hay. You have to call Reese. This prick's not fucking around."

"I know that!" she snapped. "I'm scared. I don't know what to do."

"Reese will help you," Hunter told her, but there was an edge to his words.

"Where are you?" she wondered. "You were gone early."

"I had a family emergency, I left you a note in the kitchen. I figured you'd have been in there already since that's where the coffee is."

She glanced beside her at the mug on the side table. "I missed your note. When are you getting back?"

"I'm not sure. Will you call Detective Danvers, Hayden? Or even Detective Kinley, if he's not available."

Okay," she said. "I'll get help. Please come home soon."

"I will," said quietly. "I promise."