What She Found

Chapter 37

MONDAY, DECEMBER 24 - 12:30PM


Hayden had told Hunter her plans, and while he was less than thrilled at her staying with Reese, she assured him that Maya would be there too.

"Are you coming home soon?" she asked him, as she stuffed clothes into a duffel bag. She grabbed her keys and headed downstairs. "It's a lot creepier here without you. I keep thinking Mason is going to be lurking around a corner."

"I'll be back in a few days. Don't worry; Reese will keep you safe."

There was an edge to his voice.

"I'm going to head over there now, I'll text you later," she said, and hung up. Then called Reese. "I'm on my way to your place. Hunter knows where I'm going. He's not happy about it."

"Of course not," he murmured. "He has nothing to worry about. I'm projecting you because it's my job, Hayden."

"I know. I appreciate it. Without you, I'd probably be dead."

She laughed. He didn't. She heard him typing.

"What are you doing?" she wondered.

"I'm looking into any reports about Mason's car. We were able to get the license plate number. Maya remembered it. I don't know how, but she did. So it's something."

"Has anyone seen him?" Hayden asked. Please say yes.

"No."

She closed her eyes, her heart racing. "He'll find me," she whispered. "He won't stop until I'm dead. I'm in his way. He wants whatever money he thinks I have. He didn't find it in my house because it's not here. I don't know where it is."

"It's okay," Reese said softly. "Hayden, calm down. Come to the station. We'll talk. You need someone."