What She Found

Chapter 41

MONDAY, DECEMBER 24 - 3:30PM


"He sent that to you, and you didn't say anything?" Maya snapped, glaring over at Reese, her hands gripping the steering wheel. "Where am I going?"

"I'm sorry," he said. "I didn't think he'd take her, right in broad daylight, on a busy sidewalk. I thought we were getting closer to catching him."

"Well, you were wrong, and now he has Hayden. Now where would he take her, Reese?"

He slumped in the passenger side, checking his phone, trying to concentrate. "I don't know, okay? Let me think. He wants the money he thinks she has, and there's only one place she said she put it."

"In the bank," Maya murmured. "Of course. But which one?"

Reese rubbed a hand down his face. "I don't know!" He snarled, and slammed a fist into the dashboard. "I'm angry that I failed her."

Maya was quiet for a long time, rain outside the only sound.

When she spoke, her voice was thin.

"This isn't just about you. Your emotions are clouding your judgement. But you have to remember, this is a case, just like the other. Hayden is a victim, and we're supposed to help her, no matter what we feel."

"I don't—"

"Please." She sounded exhausted. "I can't do this right now. Let's find her, then we'll talk about everything."

Everything, she said.

But what she really meant was We'll talk about the end of us.