What She Found

Chapter 43

TUESDAY, DECEMBER 25 - 12:30AM


"Please," Hayden murmured. "Mason."

He glanced at her, on the floor, chained to a curved metal pipe in the ground. He didn't know what it was for, but he was thankful for small favors.

"Merry Christmas, sister. Cheer up, today is going to be a great day. I'm going to be rich, and you're going to go free. Doesn't that sound like such a nice present?"

When she didn't answer, he grabbed her chin roughly and forced her to look at him.

"Yes," she said through gritted teeth.

He tossed a phone at her; it stopped short of her reach. He pushed it with his foot. She picked it up, and noticed the case. It was hers.

"Call him," Mason snapped. "Tell him he has until 6PM to get the money."

Hayden dialed Reese's number. But instead of him answering, panicked, she heard a woman's voice. Maya.

"Are you hurt?" she asked. "Hayden?"

"No," Hayden replied. "I'm okay. But Mason wants the money today. Or he's going to kill me, and probably you and Reese too."

She looked at Mason, who nodded.

"He wont. I promise." Maya's voice faded a little, like she was talking to someone else, then Hayden's heart lifted as she heard Reese.

"Reese," Hayden breathed. "Oh, thank God."

"How much?" he asked.

Mason grabbed the phone and put it on speaker. "Why, hello, Detective Reese. Merry Christmas."

"How much do you want?" Reese snarled. He wasn't in the mood for games. "Mason, you're going to jail, you know that, right? You broke into Hayden's house, you assaulted her, and you ran over my partner and killed a man. You do remember that, don't you?"

"10 grand. And of course I do," Mason said. "I wasn't going to kill anyone. Not at first. But Ryan fucked up, so I had to."

"Ryan was an innocent victim," Reese said roughly. "You used him, then disposed of him when you had no further use for him."

Mason growled, "I'm done talking about this now. Get me my money by 6 tonight, or Hayden's head will be delivered in a box, Detective."

He ended the call, and threw the phone across the warehouse.

"He'd better come through," Mason said, glaring at Hayden.

She knew he would. He would do anything for her.