What She Found

Chapter 5

SUNDAY, DECEMBER 16 - 9:00AM


"You should have went last night when your partner texted you," Hayden said as she gathered her things. "You didn't need to stay with me all night. I would have been okay. The doctor would call you if anything happened."

"I know," Reese said as he brought the wheelchair to her. She sat down. "I told you I wouldn't leave you, and I meant it."

"You must have other cases."

"This takes priority right now. Detective Kinley—my partner—is still at your place. I told her I needed to stay with you."

"Something happened," Hayden murmured, pulling her hair into a ponytail. "What was it?"

"The man left something behind," Reese told her. He wheeled her out of the room and down the hall toward the exit. "He left some prints. We'll catch him if he's in the system. If not, then we'll keep looking."

Sunlight flooded his eyes as the doors opened. He stopped the chair, locked it, and helped Hayden into the car. She settled in and shut her eyes.

"How long will the results take?" she asked.

"That depends," Reese answered. "I'll keep you updated. Are you hungry?"

She shook her head. "I want to go home."

"We can't leave you alone." He glanced at her. "You understand that, don't you?"

"Of course. But could you try not to make a lot of noise while you go through my things? I need to rest."

She smiled, and he nodded.

"Come on, let's get you back to a semi-normal life."