What She Found

Chapter 7

SUNDAY, DECEMBER 16 - 10:15AM


Hayden's fingers shook as she stared at the text. Her heart was still racing when she pulled out the card Reese had given her, and called him.

"Are you okay?" he asked as he answered.

She was quiet for a few minutes, then said softly, "He texted me."

"He what? What does it say?"

When she read the text out aloud, and heard shuffling on the other end of the phone. "Stay there, I'm coming back over."

**


Hayden answered the door almost immediately; she wore a pair of dark jeans, a blue sweater, and black boots. She let Reese in, and he walked straight into the living room, and sat on the couch. He brushed a hand through his dark hair and stared at her.

"Can I get you something?" Hayden asked.

"Water's fine," he said. "Thank you."

Once she returned, bottle in hand, she sat next to him.

"Can I see your phone?" he inquired.

"Yes, of course." She handed it to him, the text message still open.

I'm not done with you yet, Hayden.

"Has he done this before?" Reese asked.

"No," she answered. "You can't take my phone, I need it for work."

"I'm sorry," he replied. "But I have to. It's evidence in an ongoing case. Standard procedure, you understand."

It wasn't a question, but she nodded anyway.

Reese took out a small plastic bag and slipped the phone inside. Then he stood and looked around. "Have you been able to sleep?" he wondered.

Hayden shrugged and rubbed at the shadows under her eyes, as if that would make them disappear. She sighed. "Not really. I keep imaging him coming in to my room at night. I'm considering getting sleeping pills, and maybe going to therapy."

Reese nodded while he investigated the bookshelf in the corner. Nothing seemed out of place in this entire room, he noticed.

"Therapy would be a good start," he commented. "If you're worried about nightmares, sleeping pills might not be the best way to go. Perhaps you should ask about anti-anxiety medication?"

Hayden gathered her hair and tied it into a messy bun, then leaned back. "Maybe. I've never really been a fan of therapy, though."

"Oh, it's not bad," the detective replied. "So, I've been looking around and I don't see anything missing. You're certain he didn't steal anything, that he just attacked you and left?"

Hayden squinted at him. "I don't remember anything missing, and I've checked a lot since it happened. Your guys find anything?"

"No, but I wasn't sure if they missed anything. It happens sometimes, even if we go over everything. Because we don't know your home the way you do."

"I don't think I can stay here," Hayden said suddenly. "It's too unsettling. He could come back."

Reese glanced toward the door, at the sunlight seeping through, and remembered what a nice day it was outside.

"We should go out," Reese said. He caught her expression. "Oh, I mean we should get out of the apartment. It's nice out, it might take your mind off of things, at least for a little while."

Hayden liked that idea.

**


He watched them leave the apartment, his eyes on Hayden the entire time. When they were out of range, he slipped across the street and used the lockpick set he'd bought to open the door. He shut it behind him softly.

There was something he needed to take back.