What She Found

Chapter 9

SUNDAY, DECEMBER 16 - 12:15PM


"You're here." Hunter glanced up from the desk as the door opened. "Are you okay? I've been trying to reach you. I heard what happened."

"I'm okay," Hayden said. She placed her purse on the nearest chair before collapsing into it. "There's just been a lot going on with the investigation."

"I didn't expect you to see you for a while."

"I don't want to lose my job," she said. "Now, hand me the files and get back in your office."

Hunter passed her the folders, as well as a cup of coffee. "I figured you could use this. It's probably going to be a long day." He was quiet for a moment. "Have the detectives found anything?"

Hayden shook her head. "They think he just broke in to attack me. But the detective on the case—Reese Danvers—he's been keeping an eye on me."

His lips curled upward. "I'm sure he has been."

"Not like that," Hayden said, rolling her eyes. She glanced at the door to the parking lot—at the person hovering by it. "Ryan Dowd is here."

Hunter watched the door open, at the man who limped inside. His face was twisted in an expression that Hayden didn't recognize.

"Hello, Ryan," she said, smiling.

Ryan smiled back. "Hello, Hayden. You look very nice."

"Thank you," she said.

Hunter's door shut once Ryan was inside of the office.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm thinking about adding Hunter's POV to the story.