Golden

Chapter 11

July 2017-Halifax, NS

Nate’s POV

As soon as Myers and I had gotten back to my house last night, she had gone straight to bed. When I woke up this morning, she was still sound asleep and the dark circles under her eyes that were there when I picked her up at the airport yesterday were finally beginning to fade.

I watched her sleep for a while longer before I woke her up. Today was the first day of Sid’s hockey school. I had agreed to speak in one of the Q&A forums as well as help coach. Myers was going to tag along this morning since Andy would be putting the three of us through a workout at Cole Harbor Place before lunch.

Once we got to Cole Harbor Place, I led Myers to a locker room where some of us were getting ready for the day of camp. When we walked in, Sid looked up from tying his skates and headed straight to Myers. They hadn’t officially met yet, but he already knew a lot about her from things I had told him. Sid handed her a Crosby Hockey School Hoodie to throw on before we headed to the ice, telling her “I can’t let someone wear all Nike gear at my Adidas sponsored camp.”

That wasn’t the only thing we had for her though. Despite being a skier, Myers couldn’t ice skate well. So today, before the first group hit the ice we would be teaching her to skate. I pulled a pair of CCM skates out of my bag for her. As soon as she saw them, she started shaking her head. “I’m not going on the ice in those, Nate. I’ll just watch you guys from the stands or go out to the agility group on the soccer field.”

Luckily, Sid had my back on this one. “We have a bit of time before our first on-ice session. You are a professional athlete. Skating won’t be that hard for you. You already know how to hockey stop on skis.”

Myers begrudgingly gave in. I patted the locker next to me and she sat down and I began lacing up her skates. As Sid expected, Myers athleticism and muscle memory from skiing made skating pretty natural to her. After only 10 minutes, she didn’t need me to help her at all. When the kids started to crowd around the glass to watch Sid and me, Myers skated to the bench and switched her skates out for her Nikes to watch us run the first portion of camp.

The kids at this camp were always hilarious and entertaining. I found myself sucked into the action of camp and forgetting about Myers standing by watching. By the time I looked up at the end of the first session, she and Andy were laughing together on the bench as they looked through what I assumed to be Myers training plan.

When we were done Andy led us outside. Andy had been training Sid since he was 13. The past few summers I worked with the both of them. Adding Myers into our training group changed the dynamic completely. Not only that, but I was going to have to work hard to keep myself focused. The mid-day summer heat reflecting off of the AstroTurf meant that Sid and I were both working out shirtless. Myers had pulled off her shirt as well, leaving her only in a Nike sports bra and running shorts. Angry red scars were still evident on her leg. But the core work she had done while injured was also evident. Her abs were absolutely ripped. She caught me staring and sprayed water at me from her water bottle. I retaliated before we both turned our water bottles on Sid. Sid’s honking laugh broke out, but before he could get either of us back, Andy started giving us directions.

We started out laying prone on the turf field, the three of us were spread out evenly across the goal line. On Andy’s call, the three of us rolled once before jumping to our feet and karaoke running for 10 yards, switching to face the other direction for the next 10 before sprinting back to the goal line. Somehow, Myers beat both Sid and me by roughly 5 yards. Andy laughed at both of us and the shocked look on Sid’s face.

It was the first time I had seen Myers workout now that she was getting back to 100%. The explosiveness and speed she had was incredible. Stunning even. As an athlete, I was seriously impressed. And as my girlfriend, it was incredibly attractive.

Myers beat us in most of the conditioning we did. Andy laughed his way through each set we worked through as she dominated the both of us. Sid and I usually were fairly even when it was just the two of us, and I could tell that being beat consistently was pissing him off. Finally, when we did sprints with resistance parachutes on, Sid beat her the first set and I beat her the second set. Somehow, Myers got the last laugh and beat both of us on the third set.

Andy led us through a quick cool down and stretch before we headed back in for lunch with the campers. Sid gave Myers a fist bump and admitted that he was impressed.

All three of us pulled our shirts on and headed in to eat lunch. As we walked, Andy told Myers that having her around this week would make things a lot of fun for him and that he was looking forward to putting her through a lifting session later this afternoon.

I could tell that her comment took Sid off-guard some. He leaned over towards me, whispering “She’s training more today?”

I almost laughed at the awe in his voice. “Yeah, she has a pretty intense training schedule right now.”

“She’s something else dude. I can’t believe we just got our asses handed to us by a girl. Taylor is going to tease me endlessly when I tell her. Hell, she will probably want to come and watch Myers beat us next workout.”

Sid and I grabbed food, while Myers and Andy headed off to the training room. She wobbled out a few minutes later with ice and plastic wrap covering her knee, a new sleeveless Nike hoodie pulled over her head. I couldn’t help but laugh at her. She had taken a liking to wearing the hood on her sweatshirts up, even in the dead heat of summer. As per usual, and contract, she was outfitted in all Nike. Neon yellow running shorts, grey sleeveless hoodie, and bright blue running shoes made her hard to miss as she weaved through the room and grabbed an Andy approved meal before joining us to eat. I pulled down the hood on her sweatshirt. In return, she swiped my Crosby hockey school hat and put it on backwards. I found myself thinking about how much better she pulled off the hat than I did.

I knew right then and there that I was in love with Myers Peterson.